When we live in Colorado we mainly stayed in campgrounds up in the Roosevelt National Forest areas so don't have any idea about commercial or state campgrounds. These were semi-improved sites and not what I would call tourist type of areas.

There's Rocky Mountain National Park. It has several campgrounds with hiking, mountain views and wildlife. Elk can be seen pretty much any time of year. The best time to see the Big Horn Sheep is May through August. We never saw moose in the park. The best place we had for a chance seeing them was up in Roosevelt NF. Same goes for black bears. Some of the campgrounds are accessed by going through marshy valleys that moose like. To get there you go through Estes Park which is where the Stanley Hotel is (of The Shining fame). It also has shopping and restaurants. Two and a half to threes hours south is the Colorado Springs area with Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak and the Air Force Academy. There are KOA's in Estes Park and Fort Collins. Either one would make a good base to see the area and then take a day trip down to Colorado Springs. It is a fairly long drive but there is also Mesa Verde National Park in the Southwest corner of Colorado.

A word of warning about the altitude. The Front Range is about 5,000 ft and many of the hiking trails are higher than that. It takes a while to acclimate to the altitude so it is best to gradually get into more strenuous activities. Altitude sickness is nothing to play around with and can be dangerous depending upon the overall health of the individual.

Edit: Wanted to add starting in October you are at a fairly high risk of snow. Likewise some areas don't open up until late April or May due to the snow. Frequently these aren't hard set dates so you should lookup on the parks website what their operating times are. You can also frequently find average opening dates by searching the web to get an idea of when things open up.

We used to travel out there every summer when I was a kid and have been all over the state, but Estes Park would probably be a good place to go. http://www.visitestespark.com/

It is in Rocky Mountain National Park and there are a lot of different hiking trails and private campgrounds in the area.

We are planniong on going out in a few years as well, so I can show my girls where I grew up camping.

Best Regards,

Norm

When we live in Colorado we mainly stayed in campgrounds up in the Roosevelt National Forest areas so don't have any idea about commercial or state campgrounds. These were semi-improved sites and not what I would call tourist type of areas.

There's Rocky Mountain National Park. It has several campgrounds with hiking, mountain views and wildlife. Elk can be seen pretty much any time of year. The best time to see the Big Horn Sheep is May through August. We never saw moose in the park. The best place we had for a chance seeing them was up in Roosevelt NF. Same goes for black bears. Some of the campgrounds are accessed by going through marshy valleys that moose like. To get there you go through Estes Park which is where the Stanley Hotel is (of The Shining fame). It also has shopping and restaurants. Two and a half to threes hours south is the Colorado Springs area with Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak and the Air Force Academy. There are KOA's in Estes Park and Fort Collins. Either one would make a good base to see the area and then take a day trip down to Colorado Springs. It is a fairly long drive but there is also Mesa Verde National Park in the Southwest corner of Colorado.

A word of warning about the altitude. The Front Range is about 5,000 ft and many of the hiking trails are higher than that. It takes a while to acclimate to the altitude so it is best to gradually get into more strenuous activities. Altitude sickness is nothing to play around with and can be dangerous depending upon the overall health of the individual.

Edit: Wanted to add starting in October you are at a fairly high risk of snow. Likewise some areas don't open up until late April or May due to the snow. Frequently these aren't hard set dates so you should lookup on the parks website what their operating times are. You can also frequently find average opening dates by searching the web to get an idea of when things open up.

Wow thanks for that wealth of info. Is there a campground you think out shines the rest?

We used to travel out there every summer when I was a kid and have been all over the state, but Estes Park would probably be a good place to go. http://www.visitestespark.com/

It is in Rocky Mountain National Park and there are a lot of different hiking trails and private campgrounds in the area.

We are planniong on going out in a few years as well, so I can show my girls where I grew up camping.

Best Regards,

Norm

Thanks for the link. What a beautiful place. I plan to explore that website more this evening.

We like to go to that area in September and it is great. We've been to Mesa Verde NP as well as the Durango area. We have plans to hit Rocky Mountain NP and Estes. I've heard some great things about both of those locations.

I bet September is beautiful!

I can attest to that!  Several years ago I went to Aspen on business.  Flew into their tiny airport and spent the night at a local hotel (about 8,000 feet).  One of the ladies in our group had to have oxygen in the town.  The next day we rode the ski lift to the top of Aspen Mountain (around 14,000 feet).  I got off the lift and literally couldn't walk.

I can attest to that! Several years ago I went to Aspen on business. Flew into their tiny airport and spent the night at a local hotel (about 8,000 feet). One of the ladies in our group had to have oxygen in the town. The next day we rode the ski lift to the top of Aspen Mountain (around 14,000 feet). I got off the lift and literally couldn't walk.

Oh my that would scare me to death Gwen. I am terrified of heights so that may be a blessing for me. Funny story about heights. My husband decided to propose to me on a walk out on the side of a mountain. At the last minute he chose a beautiful waterfall. Good call on his side. When we got to the walk out I hit the floor and crawled out on the platform. I was shaking like a leaf. Lol

Wow thanks for that wealth of info. Is there a campground you think out shines the rest?

We were tent campers back then. We had graduated from a family tent to two, two person tents so didn't pay attention to sites for RV's. When we would camp at RMNP we stayed in the tent loop of the Aspenglen campground. This was usually in the fall as the hiking trails around the campground went through numerous Aspen stands which turn a brilliant gold before dropping their leaves. We also stayed at Longs Peak a couple of times. It is tents only and close to the Longs Peak trail head. Longs Peak is a fourteener and a very strenuous hike. I summited it once but was in much better shape then and was acclimated to living there. My guess for larger RV camping you are best off in Moraine Park or Glacier Basin. For smaller stuff like we have, PUP's or TAB's most any campground would work. If you have a larger RV and want hookups you will need to look outside the park (or national forest campgrounds that I am familiar with).

It is not very far from Estes Park to the RMNP entrance. The same goes for Fort Collins and Loveland so there is no need to stay in the park just to be close. The area is also close to I-25 which parallels the mountains and will take you from the RMNP area past Boulder and Denver to Colorado Springs. If you have a larger RV I think a campground near any of the the three towns would be good location wise. As usual I would expect the private campgrounds to have the amenities but have sites close together as opposed to the lesser amenities but openness of NP or NFS campgrounds.

Where we spent most of our time camping was in the NFS campgrounds along Poudre Canyon Road. They were all semi-improved with tent pad, campground water spigot and vault toilets. Our favorites were Chambers Lake and  Tunnel Campground. Tunnel was the one where we would see moose when they felt like being seen. All of them are an hour or so from Fort Collins so you would be talking close to two hours to get to RMNP from there. 

Oh my that would scare me to death Gwen. I am terrified of heights so that may be a blessing for me. Funny story about heights. My husband decided to propose to me on a walk out on the side of a mountain. At the last minute he chose a beautiful waterfall. Good call on his side. When we got to the walk out I hit the floor and crawled out on the platform. I was shaking like a leaf. Lol

I'm terrified of heights too!

I traveled to Aspen to in a company plane.  I was sitting in the jump seat between the two pilots when we landed.  Beyond the runway was a sheer dropoff.  We stopped feet from the end ... I was terrified!

Even after that experience, I still loved flying in the company planes.  Much safer than commercial jets.  And we flew at least 10,000 feet above the commercial planes.

If I remember correctly, we flew a Falcon jet to Aspen.  Those planes take off almost straight up and decelerate quickly to stop.  It was like riding a roller coaster.

We love the Durango/Silverton/Mesa Verde area.  Lots to do, beautiful scenery, lots of history.  We tend to stay at the Alpen Rose campground between Durango and Silverton.  http://alpenroservpark.com/

The trian ride is spectacular in any season, but I recommend the train up and the bus back.  Air conditioning and soft seats are nice when you are tired from all day at the Silverton altitude.  There is a lot of info online for the Durango area. 

We have used Mild to Wild several times to book and plan day trips of rafting, jeeping, exploring.  They have always been well done and professional...and safe! https://mild2wildrafting.com/

I like to go in late June or Mid August, but that's mostly cause I don't like it too hot, and my wife hates to risk an early or late cold snap.  Any time is good.  Have fun wherever you end up!

We love the Durango/Silverton/Mesa Verde area. Lots to do, beautiful scenery, lots of history. We tend to stay at the Alpen Rose campground between Durango and Silverton. http://alpenroservpark.com/

The trian ride is spectacular in any season, but I recommend the train up and the bus back. Air conditioning and soft seats are nice when you are tired from all day at the Silverton altitude. There is a lot of info online for the Durango area.

We have used Mild to Wild several times to book and plan day trips of rafting, jeeping, exploring. They have always been well done and professional...and safe! https://mild2wildrafting.com/

I like to go in late June or Mid August, but that's mostly cause I don't like it too hot, and my wife hates to risk an early or late cold snap. Any time is good. Have fun wherever you end up!

Great info thanks! I have my plate full of beautiful decisions to make. Colorado looks awesome.

Can't add much to the were to stay and times, other than the end of May of this year it was rainy and chilly. We always went in September, Labor Day weekend. Our son graduated from the Air Force Academy, so Parents weekend (Labor Day) and graduation are usually the times we went. We stayed in Denver and Colorado Springs.

Remember sunscreen! Sunburns are easy to get out there. This is from experience. It is so nice out and you don't realize how much sun you have gotten till you are back at the hotel looking in the mirror.

Hope you have a fun time!

We are hoping to travel to Colorado next year and wanted to know when is the best time to go? Also where would be the best spot to stay. We want to hike and explore, so state parks, Koa?

We did a Colorado trip last year, in June.  The weather could not have been better the entire time we were there.

A couple of campgrounds I can recommend:

Clear Creek RV Park, a muni owned campground in Golden, CO.  Very clean and well run, all 50amp sites, but only some with sewer.  It is a great place to stay if you want to explore Denver.  Though thing about this is they do not take reservations, you have to call the morning of arrival to see if there are any sites open.

M Lazy C Ranch.  This is a dude ranch with a full hook up campground.  Our tiny trailer fit into a spot that sat up above the campground and overlooked the campground and the mountains beyond.  It backs up to Pike's Peak National Forest, with a chuck wagon dinner, horseback riding, hay rides, a shooting range, and more.

DSC_3266-L.jpg