We usually grab lunch reservations at Grand Floridian Café or The Wave, and then take the bus to Animal Kingdom until it is time to come back for fireworks.  The Grand is nice for New Years, music all night, alternating between the piano player and the band, free hats and horns, and a balloon drop at midnight or a great view of the fireworks from the dock.  The contemporary has a great view of the fireworks from the parking area, or near the outside Christmas tree.

Last year we stayed at the Fort and went to Magic Kingdom.  We enjoyed that.  We'll be at the Fort this year, starting Christmas Eve, but aren't sure of our plans.  Have reservations at Be Our Guest for New Years Eve, but we may change our plans.

The Grand is nice for New Years, music all night, alternating between the piano player and the band, free hats and horns, and a balloon drop at midnight or a great view of the fireworks from the dock.

If the balloon drop is at midnight in the lobby, then don't you have to choose between it and the fireworks? The fireworks begin at around 11:50, and conclude with a huge finale at midnight.

TCD

If the balloon drop is at midnight in the lobby, then don't you have to choose between it and the fireworks? The fireworks begin at around 11:50, and conclude with a huge finale at midnight.

TCD

Yes. I should have made that more clear beyond saying balloon drop OR fireworks.  You cannot see both, and there were some disappointed people who stayed in for the balloon drop hoping to make it out for the grand finale at midnight.  Two years ago we spent NYE at the Grand.  We went out for the fireworks and came back in after the balloon drop.  The fireworks out on the dock are incredible; literally right in front of you. Our daughter and her husband spent last NYE inside for the balloon drop, and they loved that.  We were in the Magic Kingdom last year for New Years, and I have to say the fireworks were better viewed from the Grand.  The key to the Grand Floridian on New Years Eve, the time from early evening until midnight, inside the main building is great.  The music is really nice, and the atmosphere is a lot of fun.  You can sit there and listen to the guy play the grand piano and when he is done, the band starts.  Then that cycle repeats when the band takes a break.  This goes on all night.  The only thing you pay for is food if you want that, or champagne.  It was a lot of fun, especially if you are able to grab reservations at one of the restaurants.  We ate lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe, so we were able to park at the hotel.  And yes, you do get the free hats and horns they give out in the Magic Kingdom. 

Have been to MK, Epcot, and Studios for NY eve in past. The last time I did one was 2012 at MK and it was so insanely crowded my wife and I left, went to the Fort and celebrated it there. They had a DJ on the dock, gave out party favors and hats and we had a blast. The view of the fireworks was great, especially since they were shooting some off from the islands in the 7 Seas Lagoon.

So I would say ressies at Trails's End and fireworks on the beach.

I meant to mention that they perform the entire New Year's Eve fireworks show at the MK on both December 30 and 31.

Because they use perimeter fireworks, it's worth the effort it takes to see the fireworks from inside the MK.  The crowds on the 31st are awful, but it's not too bad on the 30th.

The other parks don't do this- just the MK.

TCD