Premium Loop/Site Suggestions

For our first long trip with out two year old TT my family (Me, wife, 2 year old son) will be heading from Central Ohio to Fort Wilderness. We will be arriving on September 26th and staying through October 3rd. We have been to Fort Wilderness before just to check it out on our last trip to the area (hotel stay). That trip through was a quck trip through just to see if we would wan to do it, and we decided yes obviously :). 

We want to do it right at the Fort as Sept 27 is my son's 2nd birthday so we would like to find a really good site/loop that we can request (and cross our fingers we can get it). We have reserved for a premium site. What we would like is something that we can get to the busses easily, because we will be doing the parks while we are there, but not too close that we are bothered by them constantly passing. We would also like something that would not put us so far away from the world around us. I know it is a big place and what I am asking may not be possible but I figured it anyone knew it owuld be the fine folks on here.

Please feel free to share any suggetions for camping at The Fort in additions to where my be my best loop to request.

Thanks,

Randy

You will find a lot of different opinions about what is the best site because everyone has different needs.  I have a dog and a motor home so I don't need the comfort stations and prefer to stay away from them because of the noise at night.  I like space between the sites so I love for spots in the 800 loop on the outside of the loop further in the back.  I like 835,841,862 and 858 in that order because the are also large and give me extra parking spaces for visitors and golf carts.  There is a bus stop at the entrance to the 800 loop but if you rent a golf cart you will be able to drive it to bus depot at the main entrance and cut out some waiting time.  You will still have to transfer from the campground buses to the main bus system.  I also suggest you look at the Fort Fiends app that has the pictures of every site.  I know you will be looking to spend some time in the parks but I suggest you take a day and relax at the fort.  The pool is nice and the weather will still be great for swimming.  I never liked the buses because it is still a bus.  While it is airconditioned and some say it is a little faster I still prefer the boats because it is more like a vacation.  You can take a boat from the fort to the MK and the contemporary.  

WELCOME!

I'll leave the recommendations to those that usually stay in the Premium sites, but we do have some info stored that might be helpful...

Loop/site info and maps, Fort Fiends app, Google Earth map and videos of all camping loops...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

Fax request info/form...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loopsite-requests-r125

Kristie,

It also happens to be my birthday but I gave it up for my son lol! Safe travels as well and I am sure we will get some good info. We have been camping for 10 years (if you don't count the tenting days) but never gone more than about 150 - 200 miles. I am sure it will be an adventure! Safe travels to you as well.

Kristie,

It also happens to be my birthday but I gave it up for my son lol! Safe travels as well and I am sure we will get some good info. We have been camping for 10 years (if you don't count the tenting days) but never gone more than about 150 - 200 miles. I am sure it will be an adventure! Safe travels to you as well.

Oh what we do for our children lol. We too are seasoned campers but have also not traveled far from home so this will be quite the adventure. We are all so excited we can hardly stand it.

We have stayed in the 1300 loop twice (site 1301 and 1322) 1301 was nice it was near a comfort station, near play ground at entrance to loop, and large wooded area on the one side and behind you. 1322 was in the back of the loop which backs unto the canal (which was not a problem when our kids were younger there was enough space between the site and water) and you could see the Meadows pool which you can cut through the field over the bridge to the pool.  We have stayed in 800 loop don't remember the site number, but it was in the front part of the loop and a little noisier some times.  This last time we stayed in the 600 loop (site 633) it was nice.  It back right unto the canal.  The comfort station was down the sidewalk along the road a little way but wasn't bad.  Each time we camp we have a 40 ft motor home, 2 trailers, 2 golf carts, a vehicle, a tent, and 10 bikes.  We always have plenty of room, I just always request a extra long site and it is usually is not a problem.   We have always enjoyed the sites we have been assigned.

We have stayed in the 1300 loop twice (site 1301 and 1322) 1301 was nice it was near a comfort station, near play ground at entrance to loop, and large wooded area on the one side and behind you. 1322 was in the back of the loop which backs unto the canal (which was not a problem when our kids were younger there was enough space between the site and water) and you could see the Meadows pool which you can cut through the field over the bridge to the pool. We have stayed in 800 loop don't remember the site number, but it was in the front part of the loop and a little noisier some times. This last time we stayed in the 600 loop (site 633) it was nice. It back right unto the canal. The comfort station was down the sidewalk along the road a little way but wasn't bad. Each time we camp we have a 40 ft motor home, 2 trailers, 2 golf carts, a vehicle, a tent, and 10 bikes. We always have plenty of room, I just always request a extra long site and it is usually is not a problem. We have always enjoyed the sites we have been assigned.

By chance are you a large family?

By chance are you a large family?

Yes and no. There are 6 in my family and we have friends that come to camp with us, so we split the cost of the site.  Then we can go more often.  We have the motor home and they camp in the tent, but they are looking to buy a motor home or travel trailer soon, so we won't be sharing the site soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!  On the advice from the awesome Fiends here we requested loop 900 this past Aug and when I did the online check-in I requested close to comfort station as well; we have two teenage girls ;-)  We ended up in site 930 and it was WONDERFUL!!  One site away from comfort station, but you couldn't see it from our site because of the trees etc....good amount of shade, bus stop is at the comfort station.It is directly across from the Meadows trading post, pool, bike barn, campfire movie area etc...We walked easily to the marina but did use a golf cart too.    We were in a 27ft TT.  Sat outside each morning had coffee and it was blissfully quiet (9am ish) and most mornings were visited by a resident armadillo :) We enjoyed loop 900 and will be requesting it from now on.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your son early!