Allergy-friendly menus now available at the majority of Walt Disney World restaurants

From wdw magic.com

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/walt-disney-world-resorts-information/news/27aug2015-allergy-friendly-menus-now-available-at-the-majority-of-walt-disney-world-restaurants.htm

Following a successful trial in late 2014, Disney has now completed the roll-out of its new allergy-friendly menu program at Walt Disney World.

Nearly all Disney operated quick service and table service restaurants now offer allergy-friendly menus, meaning that in some cases it will no longer be necessary for a chef to visit the table, and instead, selections can be made directly from the special menu.

For any allergies that are not covered by the menu, or if you prefer to speak to a chef, that option remains available.

The allergy-friendly menus cover the most common allergies, including gluten/wheat, milk, peanut, nut and fish.

We've updated our restaurant information guide to include locations that offer allergy friendly menus. Just choose the restaurant you are interested in, and the overview information will indicate if allergy-friendly menus are available and for which dining period.

As a father of a child with a severe allergy who has 3 times now been given medical assistance while eating in a Disney restaurant I can say the allergy menus are nice but don't quite cut it. There has always been a allergy menu of sorts available if you asked.

The real issue that needs addressing is training and awareness of cross contamination. You will find most exposures are due to cast members using the same utensils or prep areas for the food preparation. 

tim

As a father of a child with a severe allergy who has 3 times now been given medical assistance while eating in a Disney restaurant I can say the allergy menus are nice but don't quite cut it. There has always been a allergy menu of sorts available if you asked.

The real issue that needs addressing is training and awareness of cross contamination. You will find most exposures are due to cast members using the same utensils or prep areas for the food preparation. 

tim

I hope you've had a chance to share this with Disney.  I agree with you... it's so important.

As a person who has spent most of his life in the restaurant business I can tell you that cross contamination is taken very seriously. But when I was managing restaurants the focus was not on food allergies. I hoe that's since changed.

What's strikes me as strange is that all this food allergy stuff is a relatively new phenomenon. 10-15 years ago I never even heard of a restaurant offering an allergy friendly menu.

I should say the explosion of kids/peoe with food allergies. I'm allergic to shell fish but growing up I only knew one other person with food allergies. Now it seems everyone I know has a family member with a food allergy.

tim

Totally agree. People just don't understand that their slip up could kill someone. The menus may make it easier to pick what you want to eat but I still want to talk to a chef, I just fear it's going to get overlooked when the server puts the order in vs the chef writing it down and handling it.

We are going to the shore next week and someone posted they found a restaurant that was peanut/peanut oil free. I was pretty excited and I looked at their menu which states they are peanut free. Guess what one of the topping choices for pancakes were? Peanut butter chips. Wth?

Totally agree. People just don't understand that their slip up could kill someone. The menus may make it easier to pick what you want to eat but I still want to talk to a chef, I just fear it's going to get overlooked when the server puts the order in vs the chef writing it down and handling it.

We are going to the shore next week and someone posted they found a restaurant that was peanut/peanut oil free. I was pretty excited and I looked at their menu which states they are peanut free. Guess what one of the topping choices for pancakes were? Peanut butter chips. Wth?

Idiots.

I may be wrong, but perhaps linking illness to food allergies is more prevalent. For example, a friend got migraines, finally correlated them to gluten allergy, and now ,migraines almost eliminated

That's a good thought Carol.  Might be it.

It is interesting though Ray.   Now, I did grow up in a small town, but still... I can't tell you one allergy.  I'm sure someone had something... but I went to school with those kids from 2nd grade through 12th and I don't remember one kid having an issue.  When our son was diagnosed with a peanut allergy, I was shocked.

Here's the full list of Walt Disney World restaurants that will have allergy-friendly menus available...

The introduction of allergy-friendly menus at Disney-operated table-service and quick-service restaurants began in a phased approach earlier this spring.

Today, more than 75 restaurants across the Walt Disney World Resort offer allergy-friendly menus focusing on the most common food allergens, including gluten/wheat, milk, peanut, tree nut, and fish. All food and beverage locations will continue to use reasonable effort to accommodate any dietary requirements.

Here is a list of all the restaurants across the Walt Disney World Resort that offer allergy-friendly menus:

TreuQXY.png

v8YpIow.png

Guests should continue to notify a Cast Member at the location if they have any specific dietary needs. Guests should also note that Operating Participant locations (the majority of restaurants located at Downtown Disney/Disney Springs) are managed independently. Guests should ask upon arrival at restaurant if an allergy-friendly menu is available.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/08/allergy-friendly-menus-now-available.html

I have a friend who is allergic to peanuts. She cannot make her children a peanut butter sandwich or even be in the room if someone else makes it. A friend of DS's also is allergic to peanuts. He cannot eat them or touch them. But has no reaction if someone else is eating them in the same room as him. One of the little boys in my after are room also has a nut allergy. I asked his parents about his allergy making sure that if another child had something with nuts if that would cause a reaction. They said it would not. He just cannot eat them, but if he accidently touched something like peanut butter or if it was in the room it would be ok.

Also regarding more people having allergies. I know some people whose allergies did not show up until later in their life. One friend found out she was allergic to shellfish and she had eaten it plenty of times before.