Long long time ago... We used to be outsiders... BUT, we came in and spent $.

We would drive from Tampa to shop at the big malls in Orlando. Afterwards we would stop by the Fort and go to the Settlement Trading post and visit the deli. We would order sandwiches, get a bag or 2 of chips, some sodas, a beer for me, then go down to the beach and eat dinner. My wife and I would relax while the kids swam in the lake.

The only amenities of the Fort that we were using was the tram ride, and a picnic table. Our food purchase probably off set their cost. Before we left we let the kids go to the petting zoo.

We have visited the Fort on occasions the last few years at holiday times to see decorations and lights. We usually ended up dropping $20 or 30 on snacks, drinks, and maybe the wagon ride. So technically we were outsiders, but we didn't use the pool or pavilion.

You weren't freeloading!

Oh?

So, if Carlos and Juanita and their twelve kids/nieces/nephews park in the overflow lot and hop the bus to the Meadow Pool, they're not freeloading as long as they buy some food and drinks?

TCD

I think that's where the line should be drawn.

The Fort should be treated just like the other resorts.

If resort guests and outsiders are allowed/encouraged to hotel hop, visit the snack bars, restaurants, gift shops, spend $$,  etc. it should be the same at the Fort.

If resort guests/outsiders are banned from using pools where they ARE NOT staying, it should be the same at the Fort.

We are paying for the privilege of staying there, so the Fort should have the same rules as the other resorts.

We were at Wilderness Lodge Sunday morning for breakfast and walked down to see Old Faithful.

I noticed that the pool now has a fence around it, but you could just open the gate and walk in.

I didn't see anyone checking for any sort of WL ID. Maybe they just come around at certain times?

this issue could be resolved pretty easily, simply put the MB scanner at the pool or  bus entrance, MB no scan, guest no enter... simple if you ask me

Yes, it would be very simple.

So why don't they do it?

Answer:  The idiots in management don't give a rip about the paying customers.  They would have to pay to install the MB scanners, put a fence around the pool, and have an employee or two on hand to make sure no one sneaks in.  That would impact the bottom line.  And they are only concerned about the bottom line.  If people stopped coming to the Fort because of the freeloaders, they might do something about it then.  But, so far, that hasn't happened.  So, don't forget your shoehorn if you want to go to the pool on a weekend.

Plus, hundreds of folks ride those buses to get to the HDDR and Backyard BBQ, where they spend major bucks.  They don't need no MB's to do that, and they never will.

TCD

Oh?

So, if Carlos and Juanita and their twelve kids/nieces/nephews park in the overflow lot and hop the bus to the Meadow Pool, they're not freeloading as long as they buy some food and drinks?

TCD

His activities were eating, shopping, using a picnic table to eat the food they purchased, and swimming in the lake.   That's really different from carrying in your own food on the buses, hogging the pavilion, using the grills,  and swimming in the pool.  

Plus, he said it was a long long time ago.  I'm thinking 80s or 90s.  Back then the fort wasn't so crowded.  There was plenty of room for everyone.

His activities were eating, shopping, using a picnic table to eat the food they purchased, and swimming in the lake.   That's really different from carrying in your own food on the buses, hogging the pavilion, using the grills,  and swimming in the pool.  

Not so much.  I'm sure they rode the buses (or trams) to get to the lake.

And, for a long time, there was no pool- just the lake. 

I believe the current idiotic management regime justifies the freeloaders using the pool and adjoining facilities with the reasoning that if they spend a few bucks at the snack bar, that's a few more bucks to pad the massive profits they rake in from operating the Fort.  The freeloaders cost them nothing- the exorbitant rates we all get to pay already cover the overhead and more.

TCD

I just added this to my comment above:

Plus, he said it was a long long time ago.  I'm thinking 80s or 90s.  Back then the fort wasn't so crowded.  There was plenty of room for everyone.

But when we started staying at the fort in the 80s there were no trams.  When did they go away?

Even if the freeloaders spend a few bucks at the snack bar, they are still costing fort management for upkeep and cleaning up.