Ok all you WDW locals out there - does this sound like you?  Any other things you'd add that makes how you typically "Do Disney" is different from those of us tourists that aren't able to be there as often?

For most visitors, even those who have been to Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando several times, a theme park vacation is fraught with excitement. A heady blend of nerves (if I log on at exactly midnight, 180 days before my trip, will I REALLY get a reservation at Be Our Guest?) and thrills (OMG, just 5 more sleeps till we’re THERE!) punctuates the run-up to your trip. Once you arrive, armed with printouts and reservation details, the actual trip is a whirlwind of action. You want to get your money’s worth, and you want to make precious memories with your family.

Yet did you know there’s an entirely different type of visitor? One who rolls out of bed and decides to go the Magic Kingdom before work, or stops in for dinner at Epcot on the way home? Locals who grew up in the area and have had annual passes for years see the parks in a whole different way. Here’s how to spot them.

Full article from Theme Park Tourist...

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20150312/30041/6-ways-recognize-someone-who-s-been-parks-lot

Good article.

I am not really a local, since I have about a 90 mile drive to get to WDW, but we have done a lot of day trips.  I love popping in to one park for rope drop, and then heading out to another as the bag check and scanner lines are packed with folks just arriving.  We often will pop into Epcot during the Food and Wine Festival for a specific item or drink, and then bounce on to DHS or another park. When the Osborne lights are up, we will often go to DHS just to spend some time admiring them, and then move on to something else..  It's great not feeling like you have to get it all done.

Now, the TCD twins, they have twice lived the lives of locals.  Last year, at WDW for their college program,, they would pop into a park just to eat a meal, or to watch a parade. Or not.  Just like those girls mentioned in the article. This year, they're at Disneyland, and are infatuated with the Paint the Night parade.  They've each seen it over 20 times already (in just over a month).  I'll be lucky if I will get to see it once.

TCD

... they would pop into a park just to eat a meal, or to watch a parade. Or not.  

We're far from locals, but we're lucky enough to be there in big enough chunks of time to do this as often as we can.  We usually pass by any lines longer than 20 minutes (we'll come back later) and have been known to pop into MK just to get a Dole Whip and watch Wishes.

...or just get a Dole Whip.  8)

We're far from locals, but we're lucky enough to be there in big enough chunks of time to do this as often as we can.  We usually pass by any lines longer than 20 minutes (we'll come back later) and have been known to pop into MK just to get a Dole Whip and watch Wishes.

...or just get a Dole Whip.  B)

That's awesome.  In a lot of ways, what you do is better than being a local.

Locals still have to go to work, or go home and do the laundry or whatever.  You just need to get back to the trailer to let the dogs out and mix drinks.  Not necessarily in that order.

TCD

That's awesome.  In a lot of ways, what you do is better than being a local.

Locals still have to go to work, or go home and do the laundry or whatever.  You just need to get back to the trailer to let the dogs out and mix drinks.  Not necessarily in that order.

TCD

Agreed!!  Unfortunately it's just once a year, but it does make it worth busting our hineys the other 49 weeks.

Pretty accurate article.  I usually drive through WDW going to and from work, or when I drop my wife off at DU.  There will be times either myself or my wife and I will stop after work to walk the World Showcase, or like stated in the article, end up walking thought the stores on Main Street.  Sometimes just walking through a resort like Wilderness Lodge or the path to Fort Wilderness is really nice.  As I get older (I'm 55 now) I find myself appreciating the smaller things and the details.  Many of the big rides I'll get on if the opportunity is there, or I can get a fast pass; but the details in the stores, streets, etc I am finding far more interesting.  I've been coming to Disney for 40 years now, and I think I appreciate it more now than before.  That really surprises me especially after all of the ups and downs over time and being exposed to the "behind the scenes" stuff that goes on for the last 20 years.  Much has been neglected over the years (Studios and Epcot) but it will be exciting to see the changes in Studios and to see if preliminary ideas for Epcot can come to fruition (no I don't know the details, I just know they exist).  It is also really nice to stay at the Fort without rushing around to see the parks; rather just to enjoy the campground. 

No matter the issues and problems, it is still an amazing place.  I've gotten to know many AMAZING people who work there, and some not so amazing. But in the end, what is accomplished continues to be pretty special.

When we first moved to FL we got a summer pass to Busch Gardens.  We lived about 5-10 minutes away.  After work we would run up to the park, walk around and I would get my free beers, wife was pregnant wife our first daughter so no beer for her.

That was when BG closed at sundown so summer was the only time it was open late enough to make it worth while to go after work.

Well, now they are open later most nights since they added lights over the years, and sometimes we just go for an hour or two just to walk and let our granddaughter go on rides.  She won't wait more than 10 minutes in line.

No more free beer though :(

If we don't have FP, that's how we do DW also.

Just take our time wandering around, and if a show/ride is walk on, we do it, if not there's always another time.

I just hate the times it's way overcrowded.

And if we are staying at the Fort, I feel like we are cheating ourselves if we leave and go to the parks for any length of time.

I enjoy the down time at the Fort too much (if I'm not bailing water off the site).

From the perspective of some new locals, who are still getting used to being able to spend so much time at WDW...

Yesterday, we headed to the Magic Kingdom to meet up with friends for the day. We haven’t been there in a couple of weeks because of all the rain, so I was excited to go. When we got onto Main Street, and saw the Castle, Mickey Pumpkins and balloons, my husband got my attention. He said “can you believe we actually live here and get to see this all the time?” I replied, “actually, no, I still can’t believe it.” That’s a good thing if you ask me. The magic of Disney is something that really shouldn’t be taken for granted. I know how blessed we are that we live so close to WDW. Sure, we can’t afford to go nuts and buy a ton of souvenirs or eat at fancy restaurants now, after all, it’s expensive and we’re not on vacation anymore. But what we CAN do is on a Saturday, go for a walk through the Magic Kingdom or other park, go on some rides and watch some fireworks. It’s not about buying things or eating everything in sight, it’s family time, and more affordable. I remind my boys all the time too, how blessed we are that we have annual passes and can visit Disney much more often that before. Our group was talking about that yesterday too, our friends the Smoot’s remind their kids how lucky there are too. Again, Disney shouldn’t be taken for granted.

So, even though we live close to Disney, we appreciate it. I remind myself all the time how things used to be and how sad we were when we couldn’t visit our Happy Place. I remember how I used to get teary eyed on my last trip to the Magic Kingdom before heading back to Michigan. Now, I cry when I leave Michigan to come back to Florida! Funny how things change. As we were leaving the park yesterday afternoon, I looked around at the Halloween decorations and the buzz on Main Street, and felt thankful. We stopped by the Roy and Minnie bench, and I remembered how cool it was the first time I saw that. Disney is magic, it’s a gift that Walt gave to the world, and I for one will always be thankful and never take that for granted. ~M

Full article...

http://www.themainstreetmouse.com/2015/09/20/going-to-disney-and-not-taking-it-for-granted/

So if you live local, where is your big family vacations? Like everyone up north saves to go to Florida and Disney. Do you still do a full blown Disney vacation? Is it strange to do your big vacation so close to home?

Last year because family came down, we spent a week at the Fort.  They were at the tree house villas and went to the parks.

At that time we didn't have passes so we just Forted it (and had a blast).

This year we went to Chinateague Island overnight on the way to NY for a weeks stay. Then went to DC for 3 days, and were going to visit our daughter while she was in Atlanta for training, but that part didn't work out.

We did Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends at the Fort and have Halloween planned.

We do more long weekend trips based on our GD's school schedule.

Last year we did fly to Omaha on an early Spring Break for a week to visit my daughter.

This year Spring Break we visited with my daughter/GD in Orlando and did day trips to St Augustine and Cocoa Beach.

So if you live local, where is your big family vacations? Like everyone up north saves to go to Florida and Disney. Do you still do a full blown Disney vacation? Is it strange to do your big vacation so close to home?

We take "long weekends" at the Fort, depending on the rate we can get with my wife's cast discount, or at some of Florida's state parks.  Even for a weekend, it can be a bit strange to be so close to home (about a 30 minute drive from Disney).  But at the same time, it is nice and fast to get to and from our campsite which is great for 3 or 4 days.  Each year though, we plan a bigger vacation elsewhere.  The furthest was Hawaii for our 25th anniversary (and Volcano National park and Honolulu).  Usually we go camping at a National Park.  Last September we had a great trip to the Grand Canyon and then to Moab, UT.  This year will be the Smoky Mountain National Park.  We've hit many of the larger National Parks so far.

I've lived here my whole life and love to leave Central FL. We do national parks, cruises, snow ski and everything except visit family (in-laws live nearby and my dad and 1 brother live nearby). Disney is what others do for vacation. I read travel journals and am amazed at all the work put into seeing everything. We recently gave up our annual passes and have no plans on going for a few years. Not interested in Star Wars or Avatar stuff so except for the Mine Train there's been nothing I've missed yet. If I really need to go I'll wait for a party (Night of Joy, Halloween or Christmas-but early in the season). We love nature and traveling to new locations and I really don't get going back to the same place over and over again. We love to try new things and experiences.

Not dissing those who do this this but different strokes for different folks.