First Permits Show Possible Expansion Changes For Disney’s Hollywood Studios

The part that concerns me is that in photo 3:

dhs-expansion.jpg

They divvy up DHS into three parts, which I assume are attraction areas: DHS1 is the current Studios, DHS2 is the Pixar expansion, and DHS3 is Star Wars? There are some things in each zone that cause some concern. Muppets could, conceivably coexist in a Pixar world. But Sci-Fi Drive-In and '50s Prime Time in Star Wars Land?  Certainly I've heard the rumors that Echo Lake is getting re-themed to Star Wars, and that Indy is going, but SFDI, 50s, Writer's Stop? I hate the idea of losing Mama Melrose, OFSoDL and It's a Wonderful Shop, too, but I've kinda made my peace with those. Then again, maybe I'm ready too much into the "zones" in the map.

The part that concerns me is that in photo 3:

They divvy up DHS into three parts, which I assume are attraction areas: DHS1 is the current Studios, DHS2 is the Pixar expansion, and DHS3 is Star Wars? There are some things in each zone that cause some concern. Muppets could, conceivably coexist in a Pixar world. But Sci-Fi Drive-In and '50s Prime Time in Star Wars Land?  Certainly I've heard the rumors that Echo Lake is getting re-themed to Star Wars, and that Indy is going, but SFDI, 50s, Writer's Stop? I hate the idea of losing Mama Melrose, OFSoDL and It's a Wonderful Shop, too, but I've kinda made my peace with those. Then again, maybe I'm ready too much into the "zones" in the map.

No worries Shannon, I think you are reading too much into those zones.  

Those are actually drainage basins.  When doing the modeling for your drainage you subdivide into drainage areas and that's all these are.  It's all based on the grading and drainage routing.  The ICPR model uses the basins, with pervious and impervious areas.

WBI

Good find!

I agree with WBI- I don't think those areas necessarily correspond with the boundaries of the new "lands."  I do think Echo Lake and Indiana Jones will go, but I don't think 50's Prime Time will.  That's close enough to Hollywood Blvd. that it can be part of the old stuff and sit outside the entrance to Star Wars Land.

I've heard Muppets is going to go, and it makes sense that it will if the New York and San Francisco Streets are going.  Again, Sci-Fi and the Writer's Stop sit just outside that area, so I think they could survive.  But Mama Melrose and Pizza Planet might have to go.

Looking at the acreage they have noted on that map made me realize that they have a lot more space to work with than I thought they did.

TCD

I still suggest that these drainage basins MATCH phases of development: DHS1 is currently developed, DHS2 appears to match the concept drawings we have seen for Pixar expansion, and DHS3 contains several existing areas that we know will be demolished to be included in the new Star Wars Land... Echo Lake being the one that really stands out to me. I can't imagine how Echo Lake can be themed to Star Wars and have '50s Prime Time still make any sense, it is not very close to Hollywood Blvd., it is way around the lake. SciFi is WAY into the area of the new development, too. I can only assume that the alley in front of ABC Commissary will become a themed area instead of a, well, alley. But what do I know? Frankly, I don't have a dog in the fight since I spend the least amount of time in DHS of all the parks. They can level the whole thing as far as I'm concerned, so long as they leave RnRC. I liked Mama Melrose, and Osborne was the best thing to ever happen to the place, now that they're toast they can burn the rest.

(sorry, feeling a little melancholy that I'll miss the final Osborne!)

I still suggest that these drainage basins MATCH phases of development: DHS1 is currently developed, DHS2 appears to match the concept drawings we have seen for Pixar expansion, and DHS3 contains several existing areas that we know will be demolished to be included in the new Star Wars Land... Echo Lake being the one that really stands out to me. I can't imagine how Echo Lake can be themed to Star Wars and have '50s Prime Time still make any sense, it is not very close to Hollywood Blvd., it is way around the lake. SciFi is WAY into the area of the new development, too. I can only assume that the alley in front of ABC Commissary will become a themed area instead of a, well, alley. But what do I know? Frankly, I don't have a dog in the fight since I spend the least amount of time in DHS of all the parks. They can level the whole thing as far as I'm concerned, so long as they leave RnRC. I liked Mama Melrose, and Osborne was the best thing to ever happen to the place, now that they're toast they can burn the rest.

(sorry, feeling a little melancholy that I'll miss the final Osborne!)

Your points make sense- anything in those areas could possibly be leveled to allow the new additions.  My assumption on Echo Lake is that the area would be filled and used as an entry area into Star Wars Land.  Prime Time could sit just outside this area and remain.  I assume that Star Tours will stay where it is, and the new area will be wrapped around it.  That could leave the alley, Sci Fi and Writer's Stop outside of the new area. 

Something like this preserves both Prime Time and Sci Fi:

DHS%20Expansion_zps4oilo4hq.jpg

I didn't realize you aren't going to be able to pay a final visit to the Osborne Lights.  That stinks.

TCD

I know there are probably issues with southwest water management, but why can't they expand these new lands outside of the existing park. Some may be happy to see the streets of NY and Indy leaving, but I think that would be like getting rid of the Swiss family tree house or the hall of presidents at MK. I'm sure they could relocate a parking lot or have some kind of people mover go over world drive to acres and acres of undeveloped Disney land

But TCD, certainly Idol & Sounds Dangerous will be re-themed, don't you think? I would expect ABC Commissary to go, too, or at least get a re-theme since there is no attempt to portray this as a working studio anymore, so this backstage, production-facility theme makes no sense. Sci-Fi barely made sense on the fringe of the backstage and the street scene, once those are gone, I can't imagine how they can make it work. Writer's doesn't make sense without the production-facility theme, either. 

The only way I can see keeping '50s is to open up Prospect Ave and carry the Hollywood theme down that street (basically flip the front for the back).

Also, pretty sure the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Play Set is destined for the wrecking ball... probably half for each land, which makes the proximity of Sci-Fi even more difficult to justify.

And Starbuc71, they do show that they are going to fill and grade areas behind the current developed areas, so it's possible the park will expand a bit. What I'm concerned about is the "Future Osceola Parkway/Victory Way Interchange" which seems to be aimed to take out half of the existing parking. Perhaps they are planning for that to be a "fly over" above the parking lot?

But again, what do I know... I expected us to have a DVC at FW, a moved BYBBQ pavilion, and a relocated TCD Ranch by now. 

I know there are probably issues with southwest water management, but why can't they expand these new lands outside of the existing park. Some may be happy to see the streets of NY and Indy leaving, but I think that would be like getting rid of the Swiss family tree house or the hall of presidents at MK. I'm sure they could relocate a parking lot or have some kind of people mover go over world drive to acres and acres of undeveloped Disney land

You're right- they do have space to expand out rather than ripping out existing attractions.  They don't even have to relocate the parking lot- they could condense it by adding a parking garage.  They did that at Disneyland to make space for California Adventure, and it's actually a good thing.  Much less walking for guests.  The best I can figure is that there must be studies and data that say theme parks should be compact and not spread out too much.

But TCD, certainly Idol & Sounds Dangerous will be re-themed, don't you think? I would expect ABC Commissary to go, too, or at least get a re-theme since there is no attempt to portray this as a working studio anymore, so this backstage, production-facility theme makes no sense. Sci-Fi barely made sense on the fringe of the backstage and the street scene, once those are gone, I can't imagine how they can make it work. Writer's doesn't make sense without the production-facility theme, either. 

The only way I can see keeping '50s is to open up Prospect Ave and carry the Hollywood theme down that street (basically flip the front for the back).

Also, pretty sure the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Play Set is destined for the wrecking ball... probably half for each land, which makes the proximity of Sci-Fi even more difficult to justify.

And Starbuc71, they do show that they are going to fill and grade areas behind the current developed areas, so it's possible the park will expand a bit. What I'm concerned about is the "Future Osceola Parkway/Victory Way Interchange" which seems to be aimed to take out half of the existing parking. Perhaps they are planning for that to be a "fly over" above the parking lot?

But again, what do I know... I expected us to have a DVC at FW, a moved BYBBQ pavilion, and a relocated TCD Ranch by now. 

Good questions.

The way I see it is that they are going to have to keep a Hollywood theme at some level because of all of the existing buildings and architecture.  That stuff can remain, and doesn't really cause any problem thematically with the new lands that will have their own defined spaces and theming.   Personally, I feel that the Sounds Dangerous/American Idol space might be used for things that are not Star Wars related and will sit outside the new area. I don't see them tearing down those buildings- they will be used for something.  The only question is what.

I agree with the HISTK playground. But they might not tear it down- just re-theme it. That could become some kind of Forest of Endor playground or something along those lines without too much trouble.  You might be right about Sci Fi- it's in the midst of all that.  But, what if they just tweaked it a bit and played Star Wars movie clips instead of the clips they play now?  Done.

I also thought that the River Country DVC was really coming.  I still think they will eventually develop that land.  Why wouldn't they?  It's easy money.  I think that is what will come next after they build the new waterfront rooms at the lodge.

TCD

I agree and I think they will expand outside of the existing boundary.  This SFWMD application says they are impacting wetlands and providing mitigation, I'm sure they are doing that for a reason.  This is from the application:

The Project Consists of construction of a 38.01 acres pond to provide water quality treatment and floodplain compensation to accommodate the development of 799.29 acres which includes the construction of a wet detention pond, parking expansion and rehabilitation of a theme park area resulting in a maximum of 95% impervious area, and expansion of an existing ramp from Osceola Parkway to the theme park entrance plaza area and the construction of an entrance road from World Drive to the theme park entrance with a temporary bridge spanning the L402 Canal. The project will impact 53.37 acres wetlands and mitigation will be provided by permit issued under application#140801-15.

Here's a picture showing both the existing drainage areas and the proposed:

sidebyside.jpg

I circled in red the area that's changing.

Here's a better picture of the proposed:

Proposed.jpg

You can see they are getting rid of all those wetlands up to the canal.  

I really think they are going to expand the park or backstage area up to that canal.

WBI

Nice work, WBI.

Goodness, it's going to be a mess there, isn't it?

Considering the sorry current state of the park, they ought to shut the whole thing down and reopen when it's done.

TCD

Yes....and they could knock 25% off the price of annual passes and park hopper tickets while that happens.  

:rofl2:

I'm sorry.  I tried to keep a straight face.  

Yes....and they could knock 25% off the price of annual passes and park hopper tickets while that happens.  

:rofl2:

I'm sorry.  I tried to keep a straight face.  

You just pointed out why they won't close DHS during the expansion.

I guess Toy Story, Tower of Terror and Rock N Rollercoaster will remain open, along with a few shows.  And the new Star Wars stuff.  That's just enough to keep the park open.  After all, that's about all they have going on now.

TCD