Bette Midler did a Q&A on Facebook today and seemed to confirm there would be no sequel to Hocus Pocus after all. In response to the question "Is there gonna be a Hocus Pocus 2?!"

After all these years and all the fan demand, I do believe I can stand and firmly say an unequivocal no."

I haven't seen Hocus Pocus, but the unavailability of an actor hasn't stopped Disney from making sequels in the past.  They can have her character suffer an untimely death and replace her with someone new, or just plug a new actor in the roll, and everyone can pretend like nothing happened.

Bette should shut up and take the money.  Does she have anything better to do?

TCD

I don't think it was so much her saying she wasn't doing it as it wasn't happening, but that's just how I read the comment. Also supposedly Sara Jessica Parker denied the rumor that a sequel was happening a few weeks ago too.

Of course that wouldn't necessarily stop Disney from making a prequel-type film with younger witches and recasting the lot of them.

I guess we'll see.

My sources tell me that JJ Abrams is directing a prequel trilogy of Hocus Pocus movies, the first of which to be released Halloween 2016, and that all of the Not So Scary Parties next year will be rethemed as Mickey's Hocus Pocus Hallowishes Party.  

However, it is true that Bette will not be participating in the prequels.  She's been recast.

wickedwitch_east_hillary.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen Hocus Pocus, but the unavailability of an actor hasn't stopped Disney from making sequels in the past.  They can have her character suffer an untimely death and replace her with someone new, or just plug a new actor in the roll, and everyone can pretend like nothing happened.

Bette should shut up and take the money.  Does she have anything better to do?

TCD

I have been told by my wife, who is a big Hocus Pocus fan that Bette Midler said that it was her favorite role in a movie and that she frequently performs "I put a spell on you" at concerts she does, so I don't think she would be against it.