Best Loops and Sites for 5th wheels

Newbie here to please be gentle.

I've been reading a few posts about 5th wheels and large trailers and didn't quite see what I was looking for so I figured I'd ask.  We are going to the Fort this coming Dec.26 to Jan 4 and will be towing a 44ft 5th wheel with a RAM 3500.  I'm estimating truck and coach equate to 61-62ft in total length. We are looking for a pet loop since we will have a pet and after reading what the pet loops are I figured that 800 and 900 are the best bets for us, even some of the 1200's.  I know 1200 is not classified as a pet loop but given how busy the park will be I'm sure they'll be putting people with pets all over the place.  That said, by looking at the videos I believe these spots may make the best candidates for easy backing in?  Keep in mind, I am no pro at backing a 5th wheel yet, recently acquired it.

So, given the above I turn to the experts with large rigs.

Thoughts on the above numbers?
Thoughts on the 800 and 900 loops?
How easy is it to drive around the above loops?  Is one tighter than the other?
Any additional recommended loops?

Thanks in advance!

Newbie here to please be gentle.

I've been reading a few posts about 5th wheels and large trailers and didn't quite see what I was looking for so I figured I'd ask.  We are going to the Fort this coming Dec.26 to Jan 4 and will be towing a 44ft 5th wheel with a RAM 3500.  I'm estimating truck and coach equate to 61-62ft in total length. We are looking for a pet loop since we will have a pet and after reading what the pet loops are I figured that 800 and 900 are the best bets for us, even some of the 1200's.  I know 1200 is not classified as a pet loop but given how busy the park will be I'm sure they'll be putting people with pets all over the place.  That said, by looking at the videos I believe these spots may make the best candidates for easy backing in?  Keep in mind, I am no pro at backing a 5th wheel yet, recently acquired it.

So, given the above I turn to the experts with large rigs.

Thoughts on the above numbers?
Thoughts on the 800 and 900 loops?
How easy is it to drive around the above loops?  Is one tighter than the other?
Any additional recommended loops?

Thanks in advance!

I havent had a large rig but one question that springs to mind is to confirm you have a premium campsite booked. Those are all premium sites but if you have a different level booked they wont put you in those. 

Be sure to note on your reservation how long you are and that you need a site that is easy to back into. If you are offered online check-in I believe it has an area for comments so I would note it there too. Doing this will allows the site assigner to plan ahead and do their best to get you into a satisfactory site.

Welcome!

That's a big 5th wheel you have there. 

One thing that you need to take into account is that you say you're arriving on December 26.  This year, that falls on a Saturday, and you will be arriving during what may be the busiest time of the year at the Fort.  Occupancy is going to be at 100% for the week before and after Christmas, and you are going to have very limited open sites to choose from.

In this case, therefore, your focus ought to be on clearly communicating that you have a 44' trailer, and that you'll need a site that can accommodate that.  Let the site assignor for the Fort pick the best available site for you.  You may be better off in one of the long sites on the outside of the 500 loop that trying to cram into something on 800 or 900 that may not be the best site for you.

Consider this trip a learning experience.  Be happy with whatever site you can fit in, and spend time this trip scouting out what you feel might work better for you the next time.

Have fun-there's nothing better than Christmastime at the Fort.

TCD

Welcome!!

The one thing I can recommend is having the Fort Fiends app up on your phone when you check in.  That way when they tell you what site you're assigned, you can quickly check the specs - including the length - to see if it may work for you. Although what TCD said about how busy the Fort will be that weekend is a biggie. I'd just make sure I could fit in the site they assign me, and not worry about it much after that.  :)

Good luck and have a terrific time!!

My concern is not fitting.

My concern is driving through the tight loops with all the side obstructions from other campers.

Been there many times in past woth30' TT and I've had to ask people to move their carts and block party style setups just so I could drive through the loop - 1st time with such a large rig.

My concern is not fitting.

My concern is driving through the tight loops with all the side obstructions from other campers.

Been there many times in past woth30' TT and I've had to ask people to move their carts and block party style setups just so I could drive through the loop - 1st time with such a large rig.

Oh.

I thought when you said you were a newbie and from the questions in your first post that you had never been to the Fort before.

Honestly, I've been to the Fort hundreds of times, and I've never seen anyone blocking a loop to the point that passing traffic couldn't get through.  If you encountered that,  I'd attribute it more to inconsiderate campers than to the loop configuration.

I can't think of any premium loop that you couldn't drive a 44' 5th wheel around.

TCD

Only loop I can think of is that is kind of hard to get around is the Little Bear part of the 1400 loop  (The inside loop).  It's a lot better now that they paved over the part where the big rigs had to drag their rear wheels through the dirt but it's still tight. 

I meant newbie to this forum, sorry for the confusion.

The last loop I was at was the 300's, same time of year, we arrived around 4pm and there was a large party of about 4 or campers together that had several carts and 2 pickup trucks protruding out into the street and someone even went through the trouble of putting together a skate ramp in the middle of the road. Took 45min to get these folks to move everything because the folks with the keys and adults were no where to be found. Not a fun experience at all. I know it's not a premium site but I felt it was a bit tight, maybe it's just me couple with the experience I had last year.

Looking at the site app it seems the 500 loop maybe easier to back in and has larger spots lengt wise Tha the 800 and 900 loop. Not sure why the front desk recommended the 800/900's to me based on what they already know. Guess I'll call back and request the 500's.

Thank you both.

It's going to be interesting.

I'll take a look at the 500 loop.

Nooo!!!  ;-)  

We're trying for that loop and will already be checked in, but my friends that we are hoping to get near or next to are checking in the same day as you. 

But if we do end up in the same loop, I'd love to check out your new 5th wheel. :D

Nooo!!!  ;-)  

We're trying for that loop and will already be checked in, but my friends that we are hoping to get near or next to are checking in the same day as you. 

But if we do end up in the same loop, I'd love to check out your new 5th wheel. :D

Too funny!

Sure thing.  Always looking forward to meeting new folks.

The last loop I was at was the 300's, same time of year, we arrived around 4pm and there was a large party of about 4 or campers together that had several carts and 2 pickup trucks protruding out into the street and someone even went through the trouble of putting together a skate ramp in the middle of the road. Took 45min to get these folks to move everything because the folks with the keys and adults were no where to be found. Not a fun experience at all. I know it's not a premium site but I felt it was a bit tight, maybe it's just me couple with the experience I had last year.

Looking at the site app it seems the 500 loop maybe easier to back in and has larger spots lengt wise Tha the 800 and 900 loop. Not sure why the front desk recommended the 800/900's to me based on what they already know. Guess I'll call back and request the 500's.

I have run into some tight squeezes with other vehicles and such luckily never any that couldn't be maneuvered with some extra care though. Have stayed in 900 several times, you shouldn't have a problem backing in, never stayed in 800 and 500 has some sites that are easy and others that are hard to back into.

As far as talking to someone at the Fort front desk, few if any have any experience/knowledge of the ins and outs of towing/backing/driving/setting up any thing bigger than their cars. If they even bothered , all they would have done is pull out their book with site lengths and referred to that.

If you'll be renting or bringing a cart you could always park up in overflow and go back to check out the loop before pulling the rig back there just to be sure you aren't gonna get into any tight spots.

As everyone else has said I would be sure to do the online check in and put in the length of your rig. Then fax 5 days before with your size and loop or site request.

With your check in on the weekend after Christmas I wouldn't hold my breath for getting a specific site request granted. Most people will probably be staying till Sunday if not through New Years.

Any site at the Fort is better than not being there at all. Have a great trip.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good grief.  That's ridiculous.  The 300 loop is probably the most congested loop.  There's a reason why they didn't convert it to a premium loop during the big conversion they did a few years back.  Also, I'm not sure if you know this, but they actually went to the trouble of painting yellow stripes on the sites in the 300 loop to show guests where they can and cannot park.  You shouldn't encounter that on a premium loop.

I have run into some tight squeezes with other vehicles and such luckily never any that couldn't be maneuvered with some extra care though. Have stayed in 900 several times, you shouldn't have a problem backing in, never stayed in 800 and 500 has some sites that are easy and others that are hard to back into.

As far as talking to someone at the Fort front desk, few if any have any experience/knowledge of the ins and outs of towing/backing/driving/setting up any thing bigger than their cars. If they even bothered , all they would have done is pull out their book with site lengths and referred to that.

If you'll be renting or bringing a cart you could always park up in overflow and go back to check out the loop before pulling the rig back there just to be sure you aren't gonna get into any tight spots.

As everyone else has said I would be sure to do the online check in and put in the length of your rig. Then fax 5 days before with your size and loop or site request.

With your check in on the weekend after Christmas I wouldn't hold my breath for getting a specific site request granted. Most people will probably be staying till Sunday if not through New Years.

Any site at the Fort is better than not being there at all. Have a great trip.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good post, and great advice.

TCD

Good grief.  That's ridiculous.  The 300 loop is probably the most congested loop. 

Agreed!!  That's usually where we are and we've seen plenty of cases of people in big rigs having difficult just navigating around the loop because of the combination of the tight turns and people's "stuff" parked where it really shouldn't be, never mind getting into their sites.  We've also seen trash cans get taken out in the bargain.  

Last year DH pushed someone's golf cart out of the way so our new neighbors could get into their site after they'd been trying for ages.  And they didn't even have a particularly big rig.

The yellow lines were there for our most recent trip a few weeks ago and most people seemed to be respecting them, but not all.  But the lines don't fix the problem of people's vehicles/carts parked off the pavement where they shouldn't be that can also make it difficult to get by.  Fort management didn't seem to be enforcing that rule at all in the 3 weeks we were there.  

As TCD said, you shouldn't have that problem in the Premium loops.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

i pull my 43 foot 5th wheel with a ford dually and haven't had a serious problem as of yet.  I do make a point to check in on a thursday or early friday if possible, as there are minimal vehicles near the roadway.   I have stayed in 636 and 1030 most recently and did ok. The loops are fine to drive around, but backing into some of the spots can be a pain.  636 was the last  spot on the loop and required me to actually pull across the main street to back it in.  Just use a spotter when backing, especially for the front of the truck as there are numerous stop signs, trash cans, and short poles waiting to hit your truck. 

i pull my 43 foot 5th wheel with a ford dually and haven't had a serious problem as of yet.  I do make a point to check in on a thursday or early friday if possible, as there are minimal vehicles near the roadway.   I have stayed in 636 and 1030 most recently and did ok. The loops are fine to drive around, but backing into some of the spots can be a pain.  636 was the last  spot on the loop and required me to actually pull across the main street to back it in.  Just use a spotter when backing, especially for the front of the truck as there are numerous stop signs, trash cans, and short poles waiting to hit your truck. 

Good info - thanks!

And WELCOME  :wave1: