Yellow fly season is approaching at the Fort. Post your updates here.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

horsefly_sandi-300x210.jpg

Horse Fly - up to 2 1/2 inches  :argh: ... and just like mosquitoes, it's the damn females who are the blood suckers  :wiz:

horsefly.jpg

Deer Fly - up to 3/4".  Deer Flies prefer heads, necks or shoulders, while yellow flies prefer legs & ankles.

Blue is the preferred color to use for Deer Fly traps - unlike the Black that Yellow Flies prefer.  The Deer Fly trap also needs to be in motion.

dfly_hat.jpg  :argh:

yellowfly.jpg

What to do about these blood suckers!?!

Bite and sting relief

Here is a general purpose sting relief for yellow flies. It is also helpful for horse fly, deer fly, mosquito, chigger and jellyfish bites.

1 tsp. baking soda

1/3 cup ammonia

1/3 tsp. unseasoned meat tenderizer (papain)

1 crushed aspirin

Mix thoroughly and store in refrigerator (be sure to label container). When needed, shake well and apply with cotton swab, and rub briskly.

We gotta be more careful when it comes to mosquitoes with my oldest DD cause when she gets bit they can get to be the size of a half dollar.

[/quote

You really do have to be careful.  My DH actually had an allergic reaction to being bitten so many times the first couple of nights.  He was in agony.  (He made the rest of us in agony as well :wiz:)  I would make sure you had some LIQUID Benedryl handy.  It tends to help and work faster than the pill version.  I always have it in case I accidentally eat chocolate.  I had to drink a whole bottle on a cruise once when I was told the raspberry mousse did not have chocolate and it did.  :argh:

Ok, we came down to the fort to visit with Ghester and Pickens native and the yellow flies are out!!!  The1900 and 1800 loops were bad and they chased my son and I while we were taking pictures for the site library.  I have a welt on my elbow.  Grrrrrrrrrr

Ok, we came down to the fort to visit with Ghester and Pickens native and the yellow flies are out!!!  The1900 and 1800 loops were bad and they chased my son and I while we were taking pictures for the site library.  I have a welt on my elbow.  Grrrrrrrrrr

And just in case you wanted to know - Lorna & Bitchie (er-Richie) were at my house (they stopped on the way to the Fort to tweek my GC) when Lorna got a text from Jen about those YALLER FLIES!!  They must be bad if Jen has to text about them!!

:D

Tell Gina that I hope to meet her while we are there. We'll arrive on Thursday. Dang it, I was hoping we would beat the dern yellow flies. I hate them thangs!

We were getting chased in 1200 and 1300 too.  My elbow is all swollen and DS's ankle has about a 1 1/2 inch welt  there.  I suggest you get those beach balls and paint them black with the adhesive.  If they are out this early, it is going to be a long season of blood letting. :rofl2:

By the way, Gina is da bomb! :banana:

Just to let yall know, my welt has gone down and I have a huge scab! UGH! I am getting the beach balls this weekend and starting to paint those suckers black! Death to the yellow flies! :blowup: