Yellow fly season is approaching at the Fort. Post your updates here.

I know last year was really bad for those nasty yellow flies that love to hang around the horses.  They were especially bad in the 1700, 700, 2000, and the cabin loops up near the stables.  They were even biting at the 4th of July.  If you are at the fort, please post an update over the next couple of months to keep us updated.  We specifically won't go during Memorial Day again because of those little blood suckers!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, thanks Jen! You had to remind me. We played hell with them last Memorial Day!  :argh: Well, hubby played more hell with them than me, he swells up like a balloon wherever he gets bit. We were in the 300's near the water and they were terrible during the day. Thank God for having a screen room, and Off, and fly swatters, or hats,  or shoes...whatever we could beat them with! WE'll be in 500's this time, hopefully they won't be as bad. :popo:

We were there in the middle of May, and they got me so bad I had to go to the Doctor. Still have the scars. They also got me July 4th, as we stayed in Jen's screen room the whole time, they got me going in and out.

Also does anyone know if they are only at the Fort this time of year or if they are in different parts of Florida also???

We have them bad here, in wooded areas, but haven't seen them yet. knock on wood. They were the worst I've ever seen last year at the fort. You're like Trevor, they bite him as soon as they get a chance, and just like Jen, they bit him while putting the screen up! :argh: It was kinda fun to sit in the screen room and watch people going by doing a "dance" Each person seemed to have their own style for keeping them off!

EVERYBODY WAS KUNG FU FIGHTING.............. :popo:

karate-karate-martial-arts-self-defence-smiley-emoticon-000196-facebook.gifwally.gif

I'm going to guess these buggers like to hang around water.  When we lived on the Manatee River in Bradenton, we had them.  When we lived in Sarasota far away from any water, we didn't.  Now we live in Lakeland near no sizable water, and no yeller flies.  Until the past two years I never noticed them at the Fort.

yellowfly.jpg

Biting Habits

The female is one of the most serious biting fly pests wherever it occurs (males do not bite). It attacks man vigorously, and the bites usually are painful, causing large and persistently itching swellings in many persons. Although it attacks throughout the day, it is most active during the late afternoon and on cloudy days. It is especially common near large bodies of water, but tends to remain in or near forests, seldom attacking in numbers far from the shelter of trees. It is one of the few tabanids which attacks indoors. All exposed parts of the victim's body may be attacked, and since the flight is rather quiet, a person is not aware of the flies until the sharp pain of the bite is felt. Domestic animals, including dogs, are attacked readily, although the fly's preference for shade makes it less of a pest to cattle and horses in open pastures. Flies are on the wing in Florida from March to November, although the peak season is April through June. Williams (1971) studied biting habits of D. ferrugatus in British Honduras, but nothing comparable has been done in Florida.

Management

No effective methods for larval control are known. Mosquito repellents are moderately effective against the adults except when the flies are very abundant or very hungry. Gloves and headnets offer the only sure means of protection. We have found deet (diethyl toluamide) to be the most effective repellent. To prevent possible development of dangerous hypersensitivity and systemic reactions, persons sensitive to the bites should avoid exposure to the flies. Currently there are no adequate means for managing populations. Traps are sometimes effective in control of small areas such as yards, camping sights, and swimming pools. Trapping of nuisance flies has reduced their numbers on the Atlantic Coast of the United States. Traps have been effective when used around cattle that are confined to manageable areas (Squitier 2003).

We have them bad here, in wooded areas, but haven't seen them yet. knock on wood. They were the worst I've ever seen last year at the fort. You're like Trevor, they bite him as soon as they get a chance, and just like Jen, they bit him while putting the screen up! :rofl2: It was kinda fun to sit in the screen room and watch people going by doing a "dance" Each person seemed to have their own style for keeping them off!

EVERYBODY WAS KUNG FU FIGHTING.............. :rofl2:

karate-karate-martial-arts-self-defence-smiley-emoticon-000196-facebook.gifwally.gif

LOL! We were there over Memorial Day weekend and the following week...the only ones fortunate enough to get bit was me and my oldest nephew! I learned my lesson though and bought a screen room after that trip and I swore I wouldn't go back during "fly season" but since hubby is going on a "business trip" to Orlando, who could resist!  :D I'll just buy lots of bug spray!

We have gone to the Fort in previous years the 2nd week of June and hadn't run into them.  Last June we weren't there though at that time.  I am hoping they won't be what everyone has been saying about them the first 2 weeks of June.  That's awful close to Memorial day..

When I go for the 4th, I plan on bringing these with me.  I am making a bunch.  They are yellow deer fly traps.  I saw several of them last year and kicked myself for not doing the legwork myself.  I have read that the blue color does not do the trick with these blood suckers and you need to use the black.  Here is a link to the instructions.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6631250_build-yellow-deer-fly-trap.html

yflytrap_05gr.jpg

Here is another link as well.

http://flaglermosquito.com/newfly.htm

• 2 weeks later...

When I go for the 4th, I plan on bringing these with me.  I am making a bunch.  They are yellow deer fly traps.  I saw several of them last year and kicked myself for not doing the legwork myself.  I have read that the blue color does not do the trick with these blood suckers and you need to use the black.  Here is a link to the instructions.

yflytrap_05gr.jpg

So it's like a giant flystrip? I can only imagine the fun you have with those beach balls after they've done their job! Gross!

Hope it's effective, though -- I've never had the pleasure of meeting the flies, but the horror stories sound absolutely awful.

last year they were the worst...still nasty on the 4th, but not as bad as memorial day....this is why i purchased this

http://formosacovers.com/20ftx12ft-beige-screen-house-back-instock-p-72.html

I have a screen tent, not as nice as that, but it won't take up much room. I think I will throw it in just in case :purpleflam: