How Long do the Magic Bands Last?

We were at WDW in July of 2014 and had the Magic Bands -- we are returning in July of 2017. We've bought new tickets, will the magic bands still function? Will I be able to linc my tickets with the old bands, or will we need new ones?

I'm not sure of how long they will last as from my understanding  there is an active section that uses a battery and a passive portion activated by the scanner. However Disney will give you an opportunity, more like a nag-atunity, to order more before your next trip which is what we did. One day we hope to complete a Christmas tree chain from all of the colors. :lol:  

You can add bands to you reservation and ours were automatically carried forward via our MyDisney account having them from our previous reservation.

It is my understanding there are two technologies in the band. There is a proximity chip which does not use a battery. This is used for close up reading like when you touch the pedestal to enter the park or fast pass.

The battery is needed for long range scans, like the system figuring out which car you are in for the photo at Space Mountain.

Keep them as they are always tied to your MDE account.

It is my understanding there are two technologies in the band. There is a proximity chip which does not use a battery. This is used for close up reading like when you touch the pedestal to enter the park or fast pass.

The battery is needed for long range scans, like the system figuring out which car you are in for the photo at Space Mountain.

Keep them as they are always tied to your MDE account.

it would stink if you purchased a MB and it only lasted 2 years, then had to be tossed.

it would stink if you purchased a MB and it only lasted 2 years, then had to be tossed.

It might stink for you, but that's exactly what Disney wants.  If you bought one once, they figure you'll buy one again.  I'm surprised they designed them to last two years-they'd probably like it if you had to replace them more often.

TCD