What type of supplies are available at the Fort?

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I think fresh eggs might be able to sit out a day or two... but I think store bought (and definitely scrambled) is something different.   Actually... that brings up another question, wonder how "old" store bought eggs actually are? :huh:

The key is whether you wash the eggs or not. Fresh, unwashed eggs will last a week or two on the counter. The key is unwashed. Washed eggs must be refrigerated and have a life of several months if not longer. The key here is how old the eggs are when you refrigerate them. Since the ones you buy in the store can already be 30 days old when you buy them I would go by the carton label. The USDA rules are 30 days from farm to store,30 days from store to you and a max of 5 weeks in your fridge.

We use egg substitute (i.e. egg beaters) a lot if we are making scrambled eggs or omelets. They come in a carton that fits well in the TT fridge and are self sealing. To get the full egg flavor I will add a couple of real eggs to the pan and let them set before I add the beaten substitute. If I'm making an omelet I will add the eggs to the beaten mixture. Egg substitute also works well if I need a binder to add to a dish like meatballs. This way we can get by with a half dozen eggs leaving more room for other items.

26 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Wow... washing them is the key.  Who knew?!  That's really interesting.  Thanks for sharing!!

If you google egg storage and foreign countries, you will see that the US is the odd man out on egg storage with refrigerating them.

Same with butter, if you keep in a crock/stoneware type container, it can be left on the counter for a couple of weeks.

36 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Wow... washing them is the key.  Who knew?!  That's really interesting.  Thanks for sharing!!

I'll admit I had to Google the USDA part but I grew up with eggs being brought in from the coop along with the old stewing hen for dinner or a fryer for lunch. When I was working on the great great aunts and great grandfathers farms there were always eggs on the table. If there were too many Aunt Jesse would wash them and put them in the cooler. The main reason commercial eggs are washed and refrigerated is the control of salmonella which is common in industrial farms. If you raise your own chickens that are salmonella free there is no reason to refrigerate your eggs unless you get too many.  

9 minutes ago, Travisma said:

If you google egg storage and foreign countries, you will see that the US is the odd man out on egg storage with refrigerating them.

Same with butter, if you keep in a crock/stoneware type container, it can be left on the counter for a couple of weeks.

Yep. Again I grew up with butter being kept out in a covered container or butter keeper.

To change the subject it appears the warm weather is here to stay. A carpenter bee is buzzing around my deck. I guess it's time to dig out the tennis racket.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

To change the subject it appears the warm weather is here to stay. A carpenter bee is buzzing around my deck. I guess it's time to dig out the tennis racket.

Yes... I had to cut the grass for the first time this week!  Love the warmer temps... so no complaining from me.  I have a good friend who lives in LA and his house is (very) close to being flooded :( 

We have a butter crock that we have on our counter. d4b375f3b7fb5170c303adf55be6575e.jpga5e10266790e736d3e4a0e69bfded5fc.jpg

It's always soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years back we stayed at the cabins and we had a refrigerator that started failing.  The only thing we lost was 4 1/2 gallons of ice cream.  We had gotten it at Publix as a buy 1 get 1 so we were out about $8.  The Fort decided to reimburse us, but instead of giving us the cash or credit, they told us to go to the Meadow and pick out  replacements.  All they had was pints of Hagen Das at over $4 a container.  So instead  of giving us our $8, they gave us 16 pints at a cost of $64.  Guess with the way of running the Fort no wonder prices are always rising.