Quick Park Visit Before Spring Break Blackout!

Wanted to get this started to point out a couple of things that might be of interest to the Spring Breakers.  I'll try to add pictures and fill out more of the report later this week.

We visited EPCOT and the MK on Friday, the last day our Floridian Silver Passes were good until April.  Did not do any camping.

As I mentioned in the other post, EPCOT and MK both had the $35 premium parking available.  We hit EPCOT around 10, the CM asked if we wanted to upgrade our free parking to premium, we politely declined.  We ended up in the D lot, the first lot on the right behind the tree line, so it was the second back from the entrance.  We were lined up to get in the middle of the row when the suddenly made us veer off and start a new row, so we were 3rd from the end of nowhere. I think the walk from there to the main walkway was longer than the walk to the park entrance!

We got our passholder posters.  The entrance is behind Club Cool (the Coke place).  New poster comes out in April.

My 2 granddaughters and one daughter had the egg hunt maps.  SPOILER ALERT, I took pictures of all the eggs so if you are doing the hunt, avert your eyes when I post them.

EPCOT was surprisingly not too crowded, it was actually rather enjoyable.  The only crowded spot was right around Mexico.

The topiaries were really cute... pictures to follow.

We didn't have any FP, and didn't do any rides.  We strolled around looking at the flowers and doing the egg hunt.  The prize at the end was 1 of 6 plastic decorated eggs you could choose from.

We did the MK after a quick trip to check in at our hotel and lunch at Noodles and Company.

At the MK we weren't asked if we wanted to upgrade our parking.  We got there around 4 and we were sent to the villans side and parked in Zurg which was adjacent to the handicapped lot.  I've never parked so close.  It was a real quick walk to the Transportation Center.

We changed a FP from Buzz to Small World to see the interactive ending.  It wasn't working.  Devores (I think)  explained in another post that it's still in the testing phase.  At least is was a cool relaxing ride.

Did I mention it felt good to get cool?  The parks were HOT.  It was mid 80's with the humidity up in the 70 to 80% range.  My daughter visiting from Minnesota was melting.

Right now it is the low 50's in Tampa warming to mid 60's today, 70's tomorrow, then back to the 80's on Wednesday.

We left the park and headed to the Grand Floridian to see the decorated Easter Eggs,  The sign said it was the 5th year, and everything used on the eggs is edible. The hollow chocolate eggs weigh 9-12 pounds and stand 16-20 inches tall. MAKE SURE you take time to go see these amazing works of art.  They are on display until April 4th.  Again I have pictures to post of them later.

It

7 minutes ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

In and can't wait to see pictures!

Hopefully I will be able to post them.

Last time I tried using my laptop, it would only let me post 2 or 3, then everything locked up, Fortfiends, the laptop, and Imgur.

I just removed AVG from my laptop yesterday, kept causing it to blue screen, so hopefully I'll have an easier time.

16 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Okay... so WHEN IS Spring Break???   We're coming in April (the 9th).  Are we gonna get hit??

It can vary as different areas have break at different times. With Easter over and gone I don't think it will be too bad. Easter week before and after tend to be the worst. 

36 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Okay... so WHEN IS Spring Break???   We're coming in April (the 9th).  Are we gonna get hit??

Spring break for schools (not sure about colleges) down here in the Sunshine state was last week for some counties and this week for others. Some may be next week also.

Most breaks for county schools throughout the US are the week before or after Easter.  Our county wimps out and does it a week earlier so there is no chance of religious overtones.  Last year a lot of students, teachers and support staff all stayed home on Good Friday showing the school board they didn't support their decision of when to have "Easter Recess" (am I dating myself?).  This year they have Good Friday off, but it's called a non student day where teachers/support staff still have to work, but the kids have off. Even next year spring break is 3/13-17 and Easter isn't until 4/16 with a non student day on Friday 4/14 (Good Friday).

By April, you should be pretty safe from any Spring Break crowds. 

We ran into a lot of band/orchestra kids at the parks and the hotel we stayed at this past weekend.  There must've been some sort of competition going on.

Cheerleaders were there 2 weekends ago.

15 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Spring break for schools (not sure about colleges) down here in the Sunshine state was last week for some counties and this week for others. Some may be next week also.

Most breaks for county schools throughout the US are the week before or after Easter.  Our county wimps out and does it a week earlier so there is no chance of religious overtones.  Last year a lot of students, teachers and support staff all stayed home on Good Friday showing the school board they didn't support their decision of when to have "Easter Recess" (am I dating myself?).  This year they have Good Friday off, but it's called a non student day where teachers/support staff still have to work, but the kids have off. Even next year spring break is 3/13-17 and Easter isn't until 4/16 with a non student day on Friday 4/14 (Good Friday).

By April, you should be pretty safe from any Spring Break crowds. 

We ran into a lot of band/orchestra kids at the parks and the hotel we stayed at this past weekend.  There must've been some sort of competition going on.

Cheerleaders were there 2 weekends ago.

Spring break up here is mid April regardless of Easter. Works well for us some years and not so well others. 

20 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Spring break up here is mid April regardless of Easter. Works well for us some years and not so well others. 

In NY, back in the duck and cover days of me being in school, we always had Easter Recess around Easter with Good Friday off.  Of course we didn't get an entire week off for Thanksgiving (1/2 day Wednesday thru Friday and turkey lunch was on Tuesday) we went back to school after Labor Day and got out about the 3rd week of June.  They also let the Jewish students off for Hanukkah (and Christmas the lucky stiffs), and the Catholic kids got off a 1/2 day on Thursdays for Catechism Class in elementary school. They all walked together to a couple of different Catholic Churches. We didn't have winter break, we had Christmas Recess.

And this was a public school system.

Sil has a half day before Easter. The September Jewish Holidays off. Goes back before Labor Day. Out mid June if no snow days. Oh and a long weekend now for Presidents' Day. 

And due due to the population of the district she teaches in Three Kings Day in January as well

1 minute ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I had forgotten how pretty it is there in the Spring... and the butterfly garden!  Last time we tried to go in there, in started to rain and we had to leave.  Can't forget to try that again!

That was the most crowded area (besides around Mexico) that we encountered, but it's also one of the smaller areas. And this year they weren't giving out the squeeze applesauce pouches!

1 minute ago, Travisma said:

That was the most crowded area (besides around Mexico) that we encountered, but it's also one of the smaller areas. And this year they weren't giving out the squeeze applesauce pouches!

Ha... probably because of the recent recall on said pouches.

Last visit, we received from Craisins samples... those were actually pretty good!

11 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Ha... probably because of the recent recall on said pouches.

Last visit, we received from Craisins samples... those were actually pretty good!

I forgot about that.  All the adults would hold onto them and then the grand kids had some snacks for later in the day.

Decorated Eggs at the Grand Floridian

dJmfCkwl.jpg

ObU4rEQl.jpg

F6VS9hUl.jpg

fU8UrUvl.jpg

SlJ9cQEl.jpg

2B832Sll.jpg

GqKnVKzl.jpg

qj7X6p4l.jpg

8xzjOlel.jpg

bOmeZ1yl.jpg

eHxxhEGl.jpg

The previous pictures were the backs of the eggs, the next ones are the fronts

GwYNVb6l.jpg

2SUZLOLl.jpg

GaUnHRml.jpg

enVjDHxl.jpg

lTDZE94l.jpg

UpHWD2Bl.jpg

h2v3j34l.jpg

b1DeTscl.jpg

4IlLTfLl.jpg

n1FWh55l.jpg

These were on different tables and you couldn't see behind them...

247McU6l.jpg

qTg5UvPl.jpg

R32a6m3l.jpg

Yko0BEvl.jpg

CIyBuACl.jpg

qjxiYxtl.jpg

ehrzVpIl.jpg

cseiAuEl.jpg

ccg6qPkl.jpg

KF0BIVal.jpg

20OH3F4l.jpg

dX4GmsRl.jpg

mStPLEjl.jpg

Mandatory Frozen egg, which was in the middle of the floor so you could see all the sides

ZY4QZhVl.jpg

j2MJm0Rl.jpg

lyyjRjFl.jpg

Sleeping Beauty was on the back side, and that dining area was roped off...

BbxVYPSl.jpg

ropJQnkl.jpg

4WqpPAXl.jpg

Disney Springs Star Wars(formerly Vinylmation) store window and granddaughter #2

2IM4x30l.jpg

p5nVcbsl.jpg

I think I will post the EPCOT egg hunt in a new topic.