So, we have reservations in August for a Cabin in Fort Wilderness. Due to financial constraints, as well as buying an inexpensive second hand pop up, we want to change the reservation to a partial hook up campsite. I called today, but there are currently NO campsites of any type available for our planned dates at WDW. I was told to check back, because people do cancel sometimes. In reality, how likely are we to be able to change our reservation? And, when I called a few days ago to check on the cost difference,  I was told that when I was ready to change the reservation I'd have to call, couldn't do it online. But when I asked my initial question (about whether someone would cancel and we'd be able to change our reservation ) on another forum, someone said he checked my dates, and there were sites available coming up online. I'm confused! 

Quite honestly, I would just search the website for a partial hookup reservation, book the reservation with a 1 night deposit, then cancel the cabin reservation.

OR

contact [email protected] to do the searching for your partial hookup reservation, then cancel the cabin reservation once he finds you something.

He does all the legwork and it costs you nothing!

One of the many annoying quirks with the WDW reservation system is that you can only make limited changes to a reservation on-line.  It wasn't long ago that you had to call in to the call center for any modification.  Now, they do have a button which suggests that you can modify your reservation, but from my understanding you may end up losing your reservation if you go that route.

The only effective solution to the mess is to use a travel agent.  Disney pays a commission to the travel agent, so using one doesn't cost you any additional money.  A competent travel agent can do things that you simply can't.  The key word being competent.  Your best bet is to use someone who is familiar with the ins and outs for Fort Wilderness.  Jason is the man when it comes to that.  Turn it over to him.  If he can't fix it, then no one can.

Good luck!

TCD

16 hours ago, 2beagle said:

So, we have reservations in August for a Cabin in Fort Wilderness. Due to financial constraints, as well as buying an inexpensive second hand pop up, we want to change the reservation to a partial hook up campsite. I called today, but there are currently NO campsites of any type available for our planned dates at WDW. I was told to check back, because people do cancel sometimes. In reality, how likely are we to be able to change our reservation? And, when I called a few days ago to check on the cost difference,  I was told that when I was ready to change the reservation I'd have to call, couldn't do it online. But when I asked my initial question (about whether someone would cancel and we'd be able to change our reservation ) on another forum, someone said he checked my dates, and there were sites available coming up online. I'm confused! 

That type of change is going to require a re-booking. 

20 minutes ago, DaddysCoolTV said:

So can you still make a reservation for longer than you need and then cancel the days that you don't want?  Or did they stop that?

Supposedly stopped it.  We did that last year, had to have the reservation looked over by a higher level supervisor who would then make the decision to alter the reservation or keep it the same.  They altered ours, but we had booked long before the made the change.

Supposedly stopped it.  We did that last year, had to have the reservation looked over by a higher level supervisor who would then make the decision to alter the reservation or keep it the same.  They altered ours, but we had booked long before the made the change.

They allowed us to drop dates, of course going through a supervisor, but I had also booked before they changed the rules. I'm not sure if they will still do it or not.

If you are going to try it I would call and change it immediately after booking instead of waiting. That way if they won't you can always cancel and keep trying for the days you want.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, DaddysCoolTV said:

So can you still make a reservation for longer than you need and then cancel the days that you don't want?  Or did they stop that?

The definitive answer is.... it depends.

They were super strict about not letting you drop days when they first made the change but it appears things have loosened up a bit, particularly if you're still keeping a longer reservation and/or not trying to change up a reservation during a super busy time of year.

Reports I've seen are that it's still difficult if not impossible to drop dates if what you're really trying to do is just snag the weekend, but some folks have had luck doing this during slower times of year.

Just now, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

The definitive answer is.... it depends.

They were super strict about not letting you drop days when they first made the change but it appears things have loosened up a bit, particularly if you're still keeping a longer reservation and/or not trying to change up a reservation during a super busy time of year.

Reports I've seen are that it's still difficult if not impossible to drop dates if what you're really trying to do is just snag the weekend, but some folks have had luck doing this during slower times of year.

Well, I'm going to try and see what happens.. It's for Memorial day weekend.. So I will find out soon.

8 minutes ago, DaddysCoolTV said:

Well, I'm going to try and see what happens.. It's for Memorial day weekend.. So I will find out soon.

Please report back and let us know what happens- I've had zero luck with changing a check-in date- the official word is that you have to cancel and rebook (and risk losing your reservation).

TCD

Just now, Tri-Circle-D said:

Please report back and let us know what happens- I've had zero luck with changing a check-in date- the official word is that you have to cancel and rebook (and risk losing your reservation).

TCD

I just booked it... now going to try and change it online first in a few minutes!!!

3 hours ago, DaddysCoolTV said:

Well I called and they put me on hold for about 5 min.. the guy came back and said it's all taken care of.. 

I was checking in 5/22 out 6/1

now checking in 5/27 out 5/30

Excellent.. I really didn't expect them to change it :P

Good to know, thanks!

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Good to know.

Maybe they're letting up on that restriction.

TCD

It still might depend on when/what you're trying to change. I'm actually (pleasantly) surprised this worked out so easily over a holiday weekend.

Then again, this is Disney and it might also depend on who you get on the phone.  ;)