I survived! (but looking forward to ski season)

3 hours ago, libbylovespluto said:

Sounds like you had a great time!

Did you carry your own luggage onto DME? If not, did it arrive with you or did you have to wait? I was planning on collecting and carrying my bags so I could set up my tent right away. DME doesn't put guarantee bags until 3 or 4 hours after arrival...

I bought spiral sand stakes. I figured I'd mainly only need them for the fly, so I got a 4 pack. Do you think I should buy another pack?

Lastly, what kind of fan did you buy/bring?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sand is hard packed, and underneath is clay/packed dirt, so if you are setting up on the sand pad you will not need those spirals.  We use those stakes that look like the giant nail with the plastic hook and hole attachment and they work fine.  Make sure you have a hammer.  We also use the plastic stakes that are ribbed.  The soft ones have a tendency of bending, the hard ones work.. We've also used those thin ones that come with a lot of equipment that look like heavy coat hanger wire.

The fan was this:

http://m.lightinthebox.com/outdoor-camping-tent-fan-with-luminous-camping-lamp_p2675206.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=84538681274&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o7&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=1810908567_303063074_21765995114_pla-171980210714&gclid=CI_Ow9TZ-80CFYVqfgodvPgFCw

but it's a battery hog, and I'd probably try to find a plug in one next time. Or buy a Costco size package of batteries because they are hard to find (and of course expensive) on property. Another issue is that you can't check batteries and that added some unwanted weight to my carry on.

The magical express picked up my luggage- I arrived at 6 am. Was pretty certain I would have to store my luggage and sure enough, the front desk did not call me until 2ish. If you want to them to check your luggage on the way home, you need to arrive probably a half hour before boarding. They close the checking booth early and I missed it.

Travisma- yikes! what color was the table cloth? There were marks that would be explained by it, but I think the cleaning crew did remove the remnants:)

17 minutes ago, Westcoastwild said:

The fan was this:

http://m.lightinthebox.com/outdoor-camping-tent-fan-with-luminous-camping-lamp_p2675206.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=84538681274&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o7&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=1810908567_303063074_21765995114_pla-171980210714&gclid=CI_Ow9TZ-80CFYVqfgodvPgFCw

but it's a battery hog, and I'd probably try to find a plug in one next time. Or buy a Costco size package of batteries because they are hard to find (and of course expensive) on property. Another issue is that you can't check batteries and that added some unwanted weight to my carry on.

The magical express picked up my luggage- I arrived at 6 am. Was pretty certain I would have to store my luggage and sure enough, the front desk did not call me until 2ish. If you want to them to check your luggage on the way home, you need to arrive probably a half hour before boarding. They close the checking booth early and I missed it.

Travisma- yikes! what color was the table cloth? There were marks that would be explained by it, but I think the cleaning crew did remove the remnants:)

It had watermelon prints on it and had a lot of white.

Thanks so much for posting about your experience and thoughts.  This thread will be helpful the next time a newbie comes along and asks about tent camping in the summer.

If you don't mind, I'd like to hear why the Trail's End brunch earned a "Double Yuck."  It seems like you experienced a lot of the on-site restaurants, and I've always thought Trail's End compared favorably to them.  If you were comparing it to an off-site restaurant, I would understand the low rating more.

TCD

I think most of my rating to be honest is due to the fact it was towards the end of the brunch period. The food at best was lukewarm. Everything was adequate- nothing was fantastic. There were flies buzzing around. My waitress mysteriously vanished and I had to hunt the hostess down for a drink refill (but this is not a reflection on her abilities- she served me later in the week and she was great then.) It's also not a reflection on Trail's End regular menu- I gave them another chance on my last day, and those chicken and waffles were great, one of the best meals I had on property.

Then, too, you may have noticed no other buffets on my list. So there's personal bias involved. I don't like them much and with the exception of seafood buffets or really awesome brunch buffets, they are almost never worth the money because I don't eat enough to justify the cost. So trails end buffet was my most disappointing meal and one of the more expensive lunches. I had not realized it was buffet on weekends- stupid of me- but went in anyway because I knew I had to eat.

But I may make an exception for the Crystal Palace next time (I mean, Winnie the Pooh!) Has anyone been there? You should tell me about it;)

31 minutes ago, Westcoastwild said:

I think most of my rating to be honest is due to the fact it was towards the end of the brunch period. The food at best was lukewarm. Everything was adequate- nothing was fantastic. There were flies buzzing around. My waitress mysteriously vanished and I had to hunt the hostess down for a drink refill (but this is not a reflection on her abilities- she served me later in the week and she was great then.) It's also not a reflection on Trail's End regular menu- I gave them another chance on my last day, and those chicken and waffles were great, one of the best meals I had on property.

Then, too, you may have noticed no other buffets on my list. So there's personal bias involved. I don't like them much and with the exception of seafood buffets or really awesome brunch buffets, they are almost never worth the money because I don't eat enough to justify the cost. So trails end buffet was my most disappointing meal and one of the more expensive lunches. I had not realized it was buffet on weekends- stupid of me- but went in anyway because I knew I had to eat.

But I may make an exception for the Crystal Palace next time (I mean, Winnie the Pooh!) Has anyone been there? You should tell me about it;)

Thanks for sharing that.

The change to a brunch buffet on weekends is relatively new, and results in a price increase of $4-5.  I don't think it's been that big of a hit, and that means that food is sitting around for a while since there are no customers eating it, and no need to replenish the serving line.  I've only been to the brunch buffet once since they started it, and I wasn't impressed with it.  I'd rather save the $$$ and just have breakfast food.

I also think your experience with your server is common at WDW buffet restaurants.  I guess with the dining plan they get automatic gratuities, and they don't really seem to make the extra effort to do anything silly like serve their guests.  We have had some real duds in Trail's End too.  Very annoying.  I am understanding if it's busy and the server is busy with other guests, but when it's slow, and they disappear, you know they're in the back goofing off.  That's not acceptable.

Sorry, I have no personal experience with the Crystal Palace buffet.  Too rich for my blood.

TCD

1 hour ago, Westcoastwild said:

We've eaten at the Crystal Palace several times.  Usually we made an ADR for a time before the park opens, so I can get in and take great pictures.  The buffet offerings are more extensive than those at Trail's End.  Quality-wise they are about the same.

Last fall we took the grandkids there for an early dinner.  Party of 8 with two birthday celebrations in the group.  We all really enjoyed the food and had a great time.

2 hours ago, Westcoastwild said:

Then, too, you may have noticed no other buffets on my list. So there's personal bias involved. I don't like them much and with the exception of seafood buffets or really awesome brunch buffets, they are almost never worth the money because I don't eat enough to justify the cost.

Not WDW related, but we recently had the dinner buffet at Busch Gardens

Serengeti Overlook™ Restaurant

Elevate your dining experience with Busch Gardens®’ buffet and full-service restaurant. Guests 21+ can also enjoy a safari-themed cocktail.

It overlooks the Serengeti Plan (hence the original name :P).  It was late when we got there and they were able to give us a window seat.

We didn't plan on getting a buffet, but it was less expensive ($18 for adults) than all of the standard dinner prices except 1 dish. At that price you wouldn't have to stuff yourself to feel like you got your $$$ worth.

It was very good, different items than a normal place, tasty, well presented, and the Chocolate flourless torte was like eating a giant piece of soft Hersheys semi sweet dark chocolate.  it was soooo good. Only thing I didn't like, was they had honey butter out on the line for the rolls, and I wanted to put butter on the potatoes instead of gravy.  I'm sure if I asked they would've gotten plain it for me.

Then to top it off, we got our passholder 10% discount.  We are definitely planning on going back.

Now back to all things Disney...

I admired your pluck for tenting in Florida in the dead of summer.  I had one of those dual power fans and an extension cord I tried to deliver to you but I did not know what site you were at.  I guessed you had a yellow tent but you were never home.  After reading your trip report I understand why.  Let me tell you what you missed at the Fort While you were enjoying the parks.  Hot followed by high humidity.  The Pools felt wet but not refreshing in anyway.  I did go to Typhoon Lagoon and agreed with your assessment.  The water was cleaner and a degree or two cooler.  I did five loops of the lazy river thinking it was named after me.  The grand kids where always able to find me when they needed money.  Next time I suggest you try coming when this group has a grand gathering.  Halloween and Christmas are the usual times.  Campfire conversations are always fun even if they don't allow an actual fire and you sound like you have some interesting stories to tell.  The last time I went to Disneyland they still had the Monsanto home of the future.  (1959).  I hear things have changed.  

• 2 weeks later...
On July 25, 2016 at 6:25 PM, DinDavie said:

I admired your pluck for tenting in Florida in the dead of summer.  I had one of those dual power fans and an extension cord I tried to deliver to you but I did not know what site you were at.  I guessed you had a yellow tent but you were never home.  After reading your trip report I understand why.  Let me tell you what you missed at the Fort While you were enjoying the parks.  Hot followed by high humidity.  The Pools felt wet but not refreshing in anyway.  I did go to Typhoon Lagoon and agreed with your assessment.  The water was cleaner and a degree or two cooler.  I did five loops of the lazy river thinking it was named after me.  The grand kids where always able to find me when they needed money.  Next time I suggest you try coming when this group has a grand gathering.  Halloween and Christmas are the usual times.  Campfire conversations are always fun even if they don't allow an actual fire and you sound like you have some interesting stories to tell.  The last time I went to Disneyland they still had the Monsanto home of the future.  (1959).  I hear things have changed.  

DinDavie- well, thank you so much for trying at least! How thoughtful! Yes, I had a yellow tent. I think it was on my 4th day that I found myself seriously contemplating washing clean clothes or riding around on the buses for fun lol. 

Despite the non refreshing temp of the pools, the one across from my loop was very useful in terms of stripping away that icky feeling layer of sweat and sunscreen. I saw a lot of parents with their kids every time I went, and I have no idea how they stayed out in that heat. Now that takes pluck!  In their (and your) shoes, I'd probably be trailing after my kids saying something along the lines of "pleeeeeease can we go bowling. You prooooomised we could nap today".  :lol:

I definitely would love to go during the holidays someday! I always think I'll be Disneyed out after these trips but now I'm contemplating how to broach the idea of a  trip to Tokyo or Paris to my family. I mean purely for educational reasons of course. If we just happened to get lost and stumble across the Disney parks, well, what a surprise!

• 4 weeks later...

WCW  loving your report, full of good info and humor in spite of these beastly Florida temps. 

I hope you do get to Busch Gardens next time, good rides and the meal travisma told about sure sounds good.  I too don't eat enough to justify the price of the brunch/breakfast at Trails End either.