The family hitched up and took off for a 4 days mid week trip to a local state park this week.  Came home this morning and both the wife and I decided "Its time to upgrade the mattress in the camper".

Have any of you replaced the factory mattress with a upgrade or replacement?  I know its not a real queen size mattress but something called a RV queen...  We looked online and prices go from a few hundred to well over a thousand.  Trouble is none of the RV centers around us have the mattresses on display so you can "test drive them".

What are you using?

BTW we tried a mattress topper, helped, but not enough.

When we got our new king bed several months ago we took the queen pillow top mattress our bodies were used to and jammed it into where the bed was. It was such a pain to get it in there that we decided it's staying in there whenever finances allow a new camper, but at least we're comfortable now.

e36590117a2f4f46e0a69067d7f3e2f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depending on your price point, I would look into the mail order mattress like Casper/ Ghost / Helix and the like
for install they are super simple as they suck all the air out and its vacuum packed, once you cut the bag they go back to normal size

its a foam type mattress so if they cant make a custom cut, you could if your handy as there are no springs to deal with

or you can use Denver mattress, as they are an RV supplier, they do sell direct and have shipping included

We just got the Denver mattress supreme euro top 11 inch from lazy days I believe the list price there was 649.00 it's a short queen and fits perfectly. I haven't slept on it yet but my mother has and says it's great! It's not memorable foam so it's not hot, light weight (for a mattress) and you don't bottom out when sitting on it like some of the thinner foam mattresses. It is a little taller than either of the other two we have had in there being the one from the factory and a standard queen we put in till we could get the new one, but I do think the platform for our bed sits higher than most so that may not be an issue. It came rolled up and air packed and was easy to get into place. Just make sure you have it where you want it before opening the plastic. They said it would be ready to sleep on in an hour but we left it for about 6 hrs it was fluffed up and ready for sleep, no smell or anything that I have read about on amazon from other foam mattresses. Just make sure that your current one is a short and specify that when purchasing as they do sell it in a regular queen size as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thx for all the help,  I'd like to use our old queen pillow top but there is no chance getting that in the camper.

I'll look into those others,  just wish you could test them out before buying but such is life.

We used ratchet straps to fold the mattress in half like a taco that I pictured above. That's why we're content to leave it there

On 8/13/2016 at 1:23 AM, bhall said:

We used ratchet straps to fold the mattress in half like a taco that I pictured above. That's why we're content to leave it there

Took some measurements, our current mattress in the trailer is about 6" tall, our extra queen mattress is 18" tall..  That could cause problems..  

On 8/12/2016 at 10:49 PM, disneylitch......Debbie said:

We bought ours from IKEA.  It is very comfortable and because they come rolled up, it was no trouble fitting into the motorhome.

Thats a great idea... We have an IKEA about 20 miles north of us..

I read a lot of complaints that the rolled up foam mattresses don't necessarily expand back to full dimensions.  I guess that depends on the quality of what you buy.  We have a regular Serta Queen on ours, with a Fleetwood label, indicating a special order.  It's comfortable.  Now if we could just improve the sofabed.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

IKEA is a good thought as a majority of their stuff is smaller in scale, so you might find one that is the right size.

We purchased our home mattress from Casper and I can tell you that their customer service is amazing! I too was worried about ordering a bed, without trying it first, but they really do stand by their return policy.  They really will take it back and issue you a full refund.  We were going to return ours, because we thought it might be too firm, and the customer service rep I spoke with said no problem and was going to set up to have the mattress picked up, but when she heard me say that I thought it might be too firm...she asked if she could send us a free topper to try.  She explained that if it didn't work, no worries, they'd pick it up and refund us.  The topper made the difference for us, and we kept it?  Ironically, my husband now doesn't use it on his side.  It softened up just fine for him, I do use it on my side.

If you want to try a Casper, let me know.  As a past customer, they will send me a link that I believe gives us both $50?