Disney YES Program dates open to public w/discounted park tickets

The Disney Youth Education Series (YES) opened up more program dates recently. Disney's YES program gives young people an opportunity to participate in real-world learning experiences at Disney Theme Parks where they will discover newfound insights, skills and knowledge. Discounted tickets are available to families participating, making this program a terrific value, as well as a great educational resource.

The educational programs for ages 5-18 are normally available only to groups but have been offered to the public for individual enrollments on a limited basis for the last year or so. A check of class openings today, showed select YES programs had availability thru Oct 28, 2011. You can enroll just one of your children or all of them. Classes are reminiscent of the old Disney Institute program which offered young people a look behind the scenes into the drama, science, ect in the parks and our world... sort of like a behind-the-scenes tour with a focus on enhancing learning and additional resources.

In addition to offering a unique learning experience, youth and eligible family members may order a large variety of significantly discounted admission options for each child and an accompanying adult when participating in the program. Because the tickets are already discounted, many people look at the programs as being free. In reality, there is a small registration charge but the ticket discount is significant enough that it still provides a substantial savings.

Multi-day ticket options ordered thru YES range in price from $134,37 including tax for a 3 day starter package to an 8 day premium package that includes 8 days' admission with Park Hopping PLUS an additional 8 visits to your choice of Disney's Blizzard Beach Water park, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park or DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive Theme Park. To see the full variety of ticket options aand prices, you need to choose a program and enter student/adult names, then it will take you to the ticketing phase before asking for payment.

For more details and a list of programs with available openings check out the YES overview at http://www.disneyyou...ual-enrollment/

• 9 months later...

:bump1: Just noticed questions about the YES program on a new thread and thought I'd bump the link for those who might not have it.

I had signed DD11 up for the Epcot Seas program but had to cancel and reschedule after DH's open heart surgery. The CMs in the YES office were terrific and did manage to fit DD11 into a program last Halloween even though they were full. She ended up taking the AK class. I was signed up to accompany her but, once we got to AK that morning, decided Starla would enjoy it more than I so the girls did it together. They had a great time. So did DH and I. We dropped them off and headed to Kona for Tonga Toast & macadamia nut pancakes before heading back to AK to do the park as a family.

Will have to get Starla to add her pictures and impressions from the day...

If you know you are going, and really want to do this, don't wait too long. My advice would be to make the reservation for the class you want when you see it or you may end up having to settle for a different one or none at all.

We originally booked YES online late one evening in mid-May for sometime around aug 15 IIRC. My cousin was going at the same time so I called back in the morning to add her DD only to find that all the sessions in the age ranges we needed were sold out for the entire 2 weeks she was there.

From what I've seen, the classes for the oldest age group (teens) stays available longer than the younger groups do. Late August is a slower time than July but there were also fewer classes scheduled during that time to choose from last summer. Ironically, there were a few openings added just a week or so before some of the July classes but nothing additional at all for Aug or Oct. Also, that last week of Aug has traditionally been free dining, many schools haven't started yet, and it leads into Labor Day weekend so not really that much slower IMO.

Lou would know for sure but I think they decrease/increase not only park hours, but things like the number of ride vehicles, busses, programs, ect based on projected attendance levels throughout the year. That could work for or against you. I do know that last year there were more classes in May/June/July than there were in Aug and quite a bit more selection in Aug/Sept than was offered after Oct 5. I was told that in Nov & Dec they don't offer individual YES enrollment at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info! I'm going to look into this. Do you know if there is a discounted price if you already have tickets (Annual Passes)?

No. You have to purchase tickets through the program to use the program. These tickets have a limited time use, so you cannot save them for another time like you can with other resort/dining/ticket packages.

• 1 month later...

We did the YES program in late October 2011.

My son (14) took a photography class at Epcot. His opinion on it was "meh"... but he's 14 and says that about everything. :faceplant2:

I didn't participate in the program because it would not do to be seen with Mom. LOL

We saved around $250 on our park tickets. It was so worth it!!!

The next time I plan a trip, I will certainly try to do so around the YES dates so we can save some $$$ again! Love that Disney offers this program and discount!

• 3 months later...

DD11 just completed her 3rd YES program. To date, she has done Wild by Nature at AK, plus Everyday Chemistry & Ocean Discoveries at Epcot. Starla, who took almost every youth class and behind the scenes tour offered when the Institute was operating has attended each also as chaperone.

Both girls wholeheartedly agree that the AK program has been the best so far. Neither felt as though they learned anything at the two epcot programs attended this month even though they initially looked much better & informative online than the Wild by Nature tour did. The program they got the least from was Ocean Discoveries. In DD11's words "they taught us exactly the same things you did last week when we stayed at Ormond Beach."

DD11 was also disappointed that neither Epcot class this month offered any type of trinket to remember the program by. After getting the cool kerchiefs that everyone in the Wild by Nature class wore during the program, and another kerchief on each of the pirate cruises taken in the past, we all sort of expected some tiny little something to commemorate these programs as well. Maybe that sounds greedy but the AK kerchiefs sort of set up an expectation for kids that other YES program participants will be treated equally...

• 1 month later...

I missed this thread and I am so sorry I did. This sounds great. Although my boys probably wouldn't be able to do it,my girls would have loved this! I will keep this on the back burner should another park trip be possible before they age out.

My 9 year old DD took the YES class at MK in Aug 2012. We both LOVED it!!! It was so worth the 3 hour morning in the park to save the money on the tickets and be able to get more days and the park hopper/water park option! The class was fun, educational, and exciting!

If anyone wants any further details, just PM me. I'd be glad to talk about it.

We did the YES program in January for my DD6 and my DN11. I am hoping to be able to snag a class that both Gracie and Zach can particpate in for January 2013. I'm basically stalking the website now! :hah: If my memory serves me correctly I bought tickets last year around the end of September for our classes. 8)