What's your favorite Greens - and how do you cook them?

I like to fry some bacon in a skillet and then wilt Mustard Greens in the hot bacon fat (sort of like you do for a hot spinach salad - which I also like).

Mom LOVES Collard Greens.  Rinse them good and tear out the tough central stem; put them in a deep pot with some water and ham hocks; boil & then simmer until tender; eat with cornbread; take the "pot likker" and add cornbread dumplings ...

All the above but we have substituted turkey necks instead of bacon (not often but when someone is on a short healthy kick),.  We've used fatback instead of bacon.  We also add a pinch of sugar to cut the bitterness if they are new crop of collards.

Have yall tried hot pepper vinager on them.  Lip smakckin good.

As far as frozen, yes fresh are good, but when you grow your own, frozen they become.

I fry bacon in a pan and sump grease and all in the croc pot, I then layer cleaned greens with cajun season and black pepper until I get clost to the top and place a hamhock in the center and season that as well! I then put 1 full box of chicken broth in the croc pot and top off with hot water and let cook on low for about 8-9 hours stirring every once and a while or until the meat looks like its gonna fall off the bone, when that happens I take the hamhock out and seperate the meat from everything else and just put the meat back in the crock pot and let that simmer for another hour.

1302780364.jpg

1302791248.jpg

I always take pics of my food!! I remember the days when I couldnt cook a thing.. so Im proud now and I take the pics!! LOL

LOL Took the DW a while to "learn" to cook. Now if I smell something burning I'll say "Smells like home cooking!" She just  :rofl2:

I like to boil my hamhocks first til it is fairly tender, this cooks a lot of the liquid out. I clean the greens at least 3 times, then take the stem out. Cram them in the pot, sprinkle with salt and sugar and simmer til tender. We do eat them right away, but I prefer to bag them and refrigerate til the next day. Then fry bacon and use the bacon fat to reheat the drained greens! This must be served with SWEET cornbread! I like collards by themselves and turnips & mustards together.

Try cooking them in white wine! They're the best  collard greens we've ever had.  My husband sautes bacon and onion, cuts the greens into smaller pieces  and adds to the pot, then he adds the white wine and  simmers them until they're tender. He usually adds jalapenos also, but we add those to everything.

Try cooking them in white wine! They're the best  collard greens we've ever had.  My husband sautes bacon and onion, cuts the greens into smaller pieces  and adds to the pot, then he adds the white wine and  simmers them until they're tender. He usually adds jalapenos also, but we add those to everything.

That sounds interesting! I'm going to have to try it. Do you dilute it? How much do you use?

He doesn't dilute the wine. He covers the greens with wine and lets them simmer. The alcohol cooks out and leaves a good flavor. He got the idea from Justin Wilson who used to cook on tv...many, many years ago.

Make the greens "MO Betta"!  :rofl2:

I lettle wine fo da pot ... and a lettle wine fo da cook!