what are you doing to save money (prices: food & fuel)?

i know everyone out there is doing something to save money.  with the rising cost of fuel and food what are you doing different to keep from spending extra money.

i know we went to wally world yesterday and i refuse to spend $4 on a 13 oz bag of chips.  it wasn't even a year ago i could buy a 17-20 oz bag for $2.50.  sorry, we are a chipless home now!  lol

i can't give up my soda...  so, we try to buy it ONLY when it is on sale.  i will also choke down sam's dr thunder once in a while.  it isn't horrible it's just not dr pepper. 

we do stay home a lot more and avoid menards...  too many temptations there.  :wiz:

so, how about you?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hubby buys diesel in another town on his way to work all he gotta do is jump off 83 to save a little. He is also working overtime whenever he can so that when we go on trips we don't have to pinch the wallet. Well we also started the meal planners for the week which helps because before we would go to the store and buy $100.00 worth of junk and have nothing to make a full meal!

I try to minimize my trips to the store by making sure I plan out my route so that I get almost everything needed in one trip instead of 2 to 3 like I did before.  We have also cut out our daily newspaper because I can read it online (this saves a nice bit!). Also, I no longer buy name-brand greeting cards/wrapping paper (Hallmark or American Greetings). The cards at dollar stores and department stores are usually much cheaper and the quality is more than adequate.  :banana:

We too are minimizing extra trips to places and making more lists to plan better.  And since we are trying to eat healthy we are shrinking our serving sizes so that helps out alot.  And we have agreed that we will only eat out for one meal a week at lunch all others are brown bagged from home.

one site I have learned to love is southernsavers.com.  Great resourse for any one using coupons.

We don't eat out much, I don't drive The Beast but a couple times a week since it costs me 120-150.00 to fill up right now.  I stopped buying chips long ago for that reason and the fact that my dh will eat the whole bag in one sitting.  I really try to meal plan to save money, but that doesn't always work.

Coupons, coupons, coupons! We were watching the exstrem couponing show on tv and DW went nuts! Groupon dot com is one she uses a lot. So far been cuting our food cost in half!

Well I hate clipping coupons, so I guess I'll just have to quit eating :heart: That's pretty awesome though :banana:

Hey, its like printing free money! You just can't argue with the results!

Nope, hubby didn't jump on board when I started stockpiling.  But once he realized the savings, he is on board.

And I am no where near those extreme couponors.  Maybe have a couple bottles of extra body wash etc.  No whole garage/house filled with items that will probably spoil before they are used.

:banana:

I believe you. I just don't like doing it. Maybe I should rethink this attitude though :-\

Doodle, check out southernsavers.com.  She has a couple of short videos about the whole concept and how to start.  The stores may not be in Michigan but the concepts will work. 

If you have CVS up there, you will be amazed at the free items you can get.  I haven't paid for toothepaste, deodorant, body wash and TP in over a 1.5.  And yes, I brush my tooth.  :banana:

I believe you. I just don't like doing it. Maybe I should rethink this attitude though :-\

Doodle, check out southernsavers.com.  She has a couple of short videos about the whole concept and how to start.  The stores may not be in Michigan but the concepts will work. 

If you have CVS up there, you will be amazed at the free items you can get.  I haven't paid for toothepaste, deodorant, body wash and TP in over a 1.5.  And yes, I brush my tooth.  :))

My biggest problem is I hate shopping. In any form, even if it's something for me. I believe this is what attracted Mike to me.

Big ticket items, well that's another story :rofl2:

We watch the sales & try to shop smart, plan ahead and but things on sale before we really need them. If we are out of chips or ice cream we wait someone will have it on sale soon. I will only drive my truck as a last resort will use the smaal car and plan our trips for best results.

I love saving with coupons, but it hasn't been paying off as much now that I'm trying to eat healthier.  I can never find coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables, or for meats.  I'm sure there is a way to save on those items, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I watch Extreme Couponing all the time, but the people on there drive me crazy.  They buy massive amounts of products and don't leave anything for the other shoppers.  When I see them showing their stockpile of 10 years of toilet paper and cleaning products, it reminds me of Hoarders.  The ones that really drive me crazy are the ones that have 200 packs of diapers, but don't have any children or plans to have any in the near future!  Grrrr!!!!!

We are fortunate that we can use the commissary and that saves money on meats and some frozen and cold foods.  We planted our garden for summer vegies and use alot of frozen ones unless grilling.

Grow Garden Grow!!!!

However, the Navy and Air Force base recently came under a joint base command.  So the story being told, and unfortunately sound to true for its own good (I.e. unlogical but thats the govt) states that the commissaries being under one command can not "compete" with each other.  SO, to solve this they took out some ethnic and other specialty items from the one we went to.  That way both were on the same playing field.  NOOOOOO, lets not bring the other commissary's options up a level, lets take down the one with more selections........ 

So for certain foods we have lost a prior edge, but that is life and we are adjusting.

Cooking more - eating out much less. A bit of a PITA since I get home at 6pm exhausted, but trying to stockpile as much homemade stuff on the weekends as possible.

Lunches are a biggie - $4-$7 bucks most days X 2 people adds up in a hurry!

Last night I spent 2 hours making homemade soup/stock and cutting up a ton of veggies for salads. 

In the gas dept., timing is right now that spring has *finally* arrived, to park the Navigator and uncover and start driving the little old 4-cyl Mustang. 

The behemoth will only be used for towing pretty much until next winter.  That ought to cut our gas budget in at least half - maybe less.  :banana:

I try to buy organic, so I buy the Meijer store brand organics.

DH and I found this great organic store here in York, Pa called Sonewald and they have this bulk room were you can find all kinds of bulk granola, flour, nuts, seeds, spices ect ect!! LUV IT!!!  My bread machine has been getting one hell of a workout since I found that place!!

• 2 months later...

Just saw this thread! I too coupon @ Publix. I don't stockpile like you see on tv but I have enough that gets me thru sales cycles. I see this as free money to an extend. y time is involved. When I get busy with work and can't take the time to match up I use my stockpile. Whenever I do a rebate, I "bank" that money for camping. I also use a Disney visa and charge everything to it. It is paid in full every month and the bonus is I have a great budget tracker with the itemized bill. At the end of the day any loose coins are loaded into our coin sorter. That is saved for trips as well. How much we travel depends on what I save. It is a motivator!

One other tip is cooking. I go to Sams and get 10# of ground beef. I cook it all up with onion and garlic at one time and store it in one family meal size. When I am tired and want to grab fast food I pull it out and mix it into sloppy joes, tacos or whatever. Ditto with chix breast.

I thought we had already trimmed the budget pretty well, but now we are giving up meat for most meals, having less boxed cereal, and staying home a gerat deal. Our Suburban needs a new motor, so it only gets a fw miles per gallon. My dh took it into town recently when I had just put gas in it and needed to put gas in it again right after he got back. So a trip to town cost about $20 in gas. Might as well stay home. Mostly we only use it now for going to church. We have a sedan that gets much better gas mileage, but it doesn't fit all 8 off us.

Thanks for all the great ideas in this thread!