what are you doing to save money (prices: food & fuel)?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also use a Disney visa and charge everything to it. It is paid in full every month and the bonus is I have a great budget tracker with the itemized bill. At the end of the day any loose coins are loaded into our coin sorter. That is saved for trips as well. How much we travel depends on what I save. It is a motivator!

Same here! I love it when Disney VISA gives 5x Reward points for certain items. We usually try to save our rewards and use them for our annual passes. Works out great. I do the coins in the jar thing too. My coins always go in there, and when Toby leaves his change sitting on the counter, it goes in there too. Drives him crazy!

Yet another twin-ism! The visa is doing great this year! (mostly due to the gas prices :argh: ) I use the points for Christmas. The annual passes is a great idea, in fact I think I like that better. Alan takes no issue with the site cost, but the annual passes are another story.

When did times change that we bitch loudly about $4 gal of gas but have no problem spending $8 a day for a cup of coffee.

Exactly! And people have no problem paying more for water than gasoline. My water plant at work makes 700 gpm of PURE demineralized water for about 60 cents a gallon.

this was my first weekend of really do-ing the coupon thing.. I got $135.00 worth of groceries at Krogers for $28.00!!! I'm hooked..

now on to bread machines, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear your receipes, I have a machine and I've used it a couple of times, I just dont have any good recipes and I want to do more!

this was my first weekend of really do-ing the coupon thing.. I got $135.00 worth of groceries at Krogers for $28.00!!! I'm hooked..

now on to bread machines, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear your receipes, I have a machine and I've used it a couple of times, I just dont have any good recipes and I want to do more!

I second that request. I have one that I got for Christmas that is sitting unopened. I hate to pay $4-5 for bakery bread.

Great job on the coupons!

:bravo:

I'm nosey, but what great deals did you get? That is some awesome savings, I haven't gotten anywhere near that in a grocery store. CVS, that's a different story. :usa:

:bravo:

I'm nosey, but what great deals did you get? That is some awesome savings, I haven't gotten anywhere near that in a grocery store. CVS, that's a different story. :usa:

I'll tell you the big savings for me were:

1. 2 liter of pepsi products, they were on sale for .89 I had a coupon for $1.00 off 3 so they came out to be around .56 cents per liter, I have a luau planned for the end of the month so I stocked up big time

2. My kids love those velveeta microwavable mac & Cheese cups, I usually pay .98 per cup they were onsale for .49 cents per cup and I had a coupon for $2.50 off my next visit that I had gotten from a previous shopping experience so I ended up paying like .12 cents a cup or something like that (I bought alot of those)

3. Colgate toothpaste, on sale for .99 I had a coupon for $1.00 off, made it free! I had 4 of those..

there were a few others but I can't remember the specifics, those were my hard hitters though!

We need a bread machine thread!

I'll tell you the big savings for me were:

1. 2 liter of pepsi products, they were on sale for .89 I had a coupon for $1.00 off 3 so they came out to be around .56 cents per liter, I have a luau planned for the end of the month so I stocked up big time

2. My kids love those velveeta microwavable mac & Cheese cups, I usually pay .98 per cup they were onsale for .49 cents per cup and I had a coupon for $2.50 off my next visit that I had gotten from a previous shopping experience so I ended up paying like .12 cents a cup or something like that (I bought alot of those)

3. Colgate toothpaste, on sale for .99 I had a coupon for $1.00 off, made it free! I had 4 of those..

there were a few others but I can't remember the specifics, those were my hard hitters though!

We need a bread machine thread!

Like I said awesome!

Have you checked out southernsavers.com, she has some great tips on the drug stores; CVS, Riteaid, Walgreens.

Wow! That's fantastic! I've never saved anywhere near that much. Great job!

Here's my favorite bread recipe.

1 c water

2 t butter

1/4 c sugar

1 egg

3 c flour (I use 2 cups bread flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour)

1 1/2 t yeast

1 t salt

place in machine in the order your machine asks for and cook on the regular cycle. The bread has enough body to slice for sandwiches. I also use this for hamburger or hot dog rolls, just using the dough cycle. i pull it out, form the rolls, then let it rise again before at 375 F for 20-30 minutes.

To make this in a stand mixer, put the yeast and sugar in the bowl, then the water which should be hot. (If your butter is not room temp., put it in at this time as well.) Mix just one or two seconds, then let stand for 10 minutes to proof the yeast. Then add the egg, some flour, the salt (keeping the salt away from the yeast mixture), then the rest of the flour. Mix, with a dough hook, on low setting until dough comes together, then on medium for 15 minutes. If dough sticks to the side of the mixer, add more flour. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover bowl and let rise until doubled - about 40 minutes. Turn into greased loaf pan or shape rolls, then cover and let rise again. Bake at 375 F for about 30 minutes, until brown and bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

I quadruple this recipe in my Bosch stand mixer and make 4 loaves at a time so I only have to bake twice a week.

HTH!

Thank you! I don't have ww flour in the house, can I sub an equal part of bread flour? Love the idea of the buns. The store ones are getting so expensive. We have a small family so I usually end up freezing and forgetting. I can make 3 each hotdog and hamburger w/o waste!

Re: Bread Machines. I've had very good luck with the recipes that came with a West Bend machine I got ages ago and which is long since gone and replaced with a Black & Decker.

Grab any one of the PDF "manuals" here - http://www.westbend.com/catalog.cfm?dest=dir&linkid=173&linkon=subcategory

They include a whole bunch of recipes. My favorites are cinnamon raisin (great toasted!), Italian herb, honey oatmeal, and I make the dinner buns quite often, too.

beer bread:

3 Cup self rising flour

1/2 cup sugar

12 oz beer

2 Tbl butter.

Mix, pan, 375 degrees for ~55 minutes, put butter on top last couple of minutes.

No yeast, kneeding, bread machine.

:popcorn:

Thank you! I don't have ww flour in the house, can I sub an equal part of bread flour? Love the idea of the buns. The store ones are getting so expensive. We have a small family so I usually end up freezing and forgetting. I can make 3 each hotdog and hamburger w/o waste!

Yes, that would be fine. I find it toasts and grills better with just bread flour. I use the WW flour just to try to make us a little healthy.

Okay, now y'all are making me want a bread making machine. Do you have any recommendations for a good one? Also, do the bread recipes ever show the nutritional information? I do Weight Watchers (off and on...when I'm in the mood...okay, so I'm not doing right now...maybe tomorrow!), and I will need the nutritional info in order to figure out how many points the bread is.

Here's my favorite bread recipe.

1 c water

2 t butter

1/4 c sugar

1 egg

3 c flour (I use 2 cups bread flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour)

1 1/2 t yeast

1 t salt

place in machine in the order your machine asks for and cook on the regular cycle. The bread has enough body to slice for sandwiches. I also use this for hamburger or hot dog rolls, just using the dough cycle. i pull it out, form the rolls, then let it rise again before at 375 F for 20-30 minutes.

To make this in a stand mixer, put the yeast and sugar in the bowl, then the water which should be hot. (If your butter is not room temp., put it in at this time as well.) Mix just one or two seconds, then let stand for 10 minutes to proof the yeast. Then add the egg, some flour, the salt (keeping the salt away from the yeast mixture), then the rest of the flour. Mix, with a dough hook, on low setting until dough comes together, then on medium for 15 minutes. If dough sticks to the side of the mixer, add more flour. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover bowl and let rise until doubled - about 40 minutes. Turn into greased loaf pan or shape rolls, then cover and let rise again. Bake at 375 F for about 30 minutes, until brown and bottom of loaf sounds hollow when tapped.

I quadruple this recipe in my Bosch stand mixer and make 4 loaves at a time so I only have to bake twice a week.

HTH!

Thanks Marty, I'm going to go home and try this one tonight!