going to the fort on May 21st….have to have scooter if I want to go to parks….

which scooters (not disney) that can be rented locally that will last the day and be somewhat comfortable…will fit on all disney transportation? buses between parks…monorail….boats? any?

anyone have any firsthand experience? secondhand? offhand?

seems the scooter I already rented might not fit on transportation..even though rental company said so….not hard to believe….

comfort is the issue…I am at a point in life….where there is no do-overs…

any ideas?

Pretty much ANYTHING except the Dream Scooter fits. However, for the best speed and longevity, I recommend that you rent a Pride Mobility Victory 10 - 3-Wheel ECV

http://www.spinlife....productID=83035

My spouse owns one, and that thing scoots all over Fort Wilderness and Disney World , rides on all the buses, day in and day out, and we just plug it in to charge every night. We leave it outside the camper also and just cover it with a gas grill cover.

Check out: (in no particular order)

http://www.randysmob...ys/Welcome.html

http://www.scootarama.com/

http://www.buenavistascooters.com/

https://www.applesco...CFYXd4Aod5XfuCg

http://scooterrentalsorlando.com/

The only downside to the Victory 10 is that it is HEAVY. It is great for going around WDW and using the buses, but NOT GOOD for loading and unloading in your vehicle.

I wish I could help you, but I just took the lazy way out and rented an ECV at the parks the last couple trips. My dad was worried that I would try to walk the parks, so his gift to us for our trip was to rent the ecv. Good luck, and enjoy your trip.

Another thing you might want to look into is renting a scooter from a Medical Supply place in your home town and transporting it to WDW.

We don't live in a tourist town, so on occasion we have rented locally for only $80 PER WEEK and transported the scooter to WDW.

We do have the ability to transport it, and Bell Services at any resort will help you unload it, so that might be an option for you.

The last time we went we rented from Walker Mobility. They were great and their prices were competitive with others nearby. They delivered it to the BC for us, spent some time explaining how it worked and how to take it apart should we want to take it in our van, then made sure DH was comfortable on a test drive around the lobby before leaving us on our own. When we checked out, we left it with bell services and they picked it up later. No muss, no fuss.

If you have a way to transport it, you might save a few $$ by renting at home and taking it with you but the downside to that would be that if you had a problem, there might not be anyone local to call for help once in wdw. I know when we rented they made sure that we knew they'd come replace it with another if we had any problems during our rental period. We never needed that, but the peace of mind was nice anyway.

We plugged it in each night and the batteries were fine. I think the one we rented is the red one on this page >> http://www.walkermobility.com/products.php

thanks to all for your info….

NO DREAM…no hassle…

What a disservice that scooter company is doing by advertising that the 'Dream' scooter is allowed on 'all' disney transport….it appears that is clearly NOT true…and they know it….

What a disservice disney is doing….by not stating clearly that it is allowed or not allowed……we called…they won't commit either way…

So, we will be scooting on something else….

It's been almost 8 months and they still haven't told us exactly what we're supposed to do regarding over sized scooters in all cases, so I'm not at all surprised that they can't tell you.

The first time I denied a scooter that didn't fit the template, the guest complained to a manager and the idiot manager put him on another bus. Either it's ok or it's not.

I think the message is getting out as I haven't had to deal with an over sized scooter in 6 months. Maybe they're hoping that there won't be any at some point.

• 1 month later...

to follow up for those who want to know…

we rented a 'Dash' from the same company that rents the dream…

it was a pretty comfortable ride…it stretched the size limit….

I never got the chance to try it on a bus….when the kids told me I would have to get on inner bus first and then wait and transfer to a outer bus…I choose to rest on the days they went to parks needing to do this...

I wound up only riding the boat from the campground…you can only ride on the big boat…you drive it on the boat….and drive it off….you can sit on the scooter on the boat ride or get off and sit in a boat seat….you are right by the front of the boat….I did that a couple of times….

I rode across on boats four times….three times to MK and once to Epcot….via Monorail…..

to get to Epcot…..ride the boat….then get on a Monorail….get off and get on another Monorail…..takes you to Epcot….not a bad or hard thing…..you drive on the Monorail….the station peeps put down a ramp and you drive on and off…then sit on the scooter for the ride….

I did not try to keep up with the kids….so I missed out on the bus experience….they were less than thrilled with the busses…but they choose to bring on oversize two kid stroller….so they had isssues being accomadated since they take up too much room….

the simplest thing is if you can just walk on and off busses and transportation and not have anything you are carrying, pushing or riding….anything else comes at a price in aggravation….

I will do it again….and will try to the busses next time….maybe...

to follow up for those who want to know…

we rented a 'Dash' from the same company that rents the dream…

it was a pretty comfortable ride…it stretched the size limit….

I never got the chance to try it on a bus….when the kids told me I would have to get on inner bus first and then wait and transfer to a outer bus…I choose to rest on the days they went to parks needing to do this...

I wound up only riding the boat from the campground…you can only ride on the big boat…you drive it on the boat….and drive it off….you can sit on the scooter on the boat ride or get off and sit in a boat seat….you are right by the front of the boat….I did that a couple of times….

I rode across on boats four times….three times to MK and once to Epcot….via Monorail…..

to get to Epcot…..ride the boat….then get on a Monorail….get off and get on another Monorail…..takes you to Epcot….not a bad or hard thing…..you drive on the Monorail….the station peeps put down a ramp and you drive on and off…then sit on the scooter for the ride….

I did not try to keep up with the kids….so I missed out on the bus experience….they were less than thrilled with the busses…but they choose to bring on oversize two kid stroller….so they had isssues being accomadated since they take up too much room….

the simplest thing is if you can just walk on and off busses and transportation and not have anything you are carrying, pushing or riding….anything else comes at a price in aggravation….

I will do it again….and will try to the busses next time….maybe...

Just an FYI, DH uses a scooter at WDW and at the Fort, and we NEVER bother with the internal buses. His ECV has enough juice and is speedy enough to just ride the internal sidewalks at the Fort to get him to the boat dock or the bus stop. So only one bus for us!!!

Carol…we were in the 100 loop….great for scooting and walking to the boats….just a couple of minutes….

the kids told me…that all bus transfers had to be made at the front gate bus stop….a long haul from the 100 loop with the scooter….

I thought maybe outside buses would pick up at the settlement bus stop….by the horse stables….but the kids said they checked and that was not the case….

what is the real deal?

Carol…we were in the 100 loop….great for scooting and walking to the boats….just a couple of minutes….

the kids told me…that all bus transfers had to be made at the front gate bus stop….a long haul from the 100 loop with the scooter….

I thought maybe outside buses would pick up at the settlement bus stop….by the horse stables….but the kids said they checked and that was not the case….

what is the real deal?

They are out at the front gate bus stop, and yes it is a haul. But we still ride it on the scooter on the sidewalks. By the time you wait on the internal bus, load the scooter, stop at all the intermediate stops, and unload the scooter, you could have driven the scooter to the other end of the campground.

Another choice you have if you stay on the 100 loop is do something similar to what you did to go to Epcot. Take the boat to MK, then take the monorail or Ferry to TTC, then pickup a bus to Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios at TTC.

OR you could boat to MK, ride the scooter to Contemporary, then take a bus to Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, or Downtown Disney at the Contemporary.

To get to Hollywood Studios, you could boat to Magic Kingdom, monorail to Epcot, drive through Epcot out the International Gateway, then take the boat or scoot the pathway over to Hollywood Studios.

Oh, you could also take the bus to Wilderness Lodge which IS at the bus stop near the Settlement, but then you would have to transfer to another bus at Wilderness Lodge.

But like I said, we find it really easy just to scoot to the front entrance of the Fort. DH drives the scooter, I drive the bike or golf cart.

I hope I haven't confused with all the options, but there are lots of ways to get anywhere at the World.

Does anyone know the actual measurements of the template, by chance?

I'm thinking most 3 wheel scooters should be fine. The dr suggested getting one with 4 wheels for added stability but DH liked the 3 wheeled ECVs.

DH's dr referred him to the local scooter store rep Tuesday. We haven't met with them yet, but are leaning toward buying the 3 wheel Pride Mobility Victory 10. He rented one of those a few yrs back and it seemed like a nice one...

Does anyone know the actual measurements of the template, by chance?

Here is a link to Disney's info for Guests with Mobility Disabilities...CLICK HERE

For buses, it states that "the wheelchair must fit the wheelchair lift without being forced: the standard bus lift is 32 inches x 48 inches"

If Disney follows ADA guidelines then the wheelchair, including any attached baskets/bags, must fit into a 30"W x 48"L box.

I think there is a weight limit too (500 lbs?) but I'm not sure and couldn't find a reference to it anywhere.

When you meet with the scooter reps try out both the three and four wheel models. Sometimes they have demo units that they will let you "try out" for a few days to help make your decision. They are a big expense so take your time, do research on each of the models and try out as many as possible.

• 1 year later...

I have just had my first visit to the Fort and LOVED it. I am a convert. I used to stop in hotels all the time, but now its the Fort all the time for us.

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know about my experience with mobility scooters in Disney.

I needed to rent a mobility scooter to use around Disney, as my legs are starting to give way on me.

I am on a tight budget, so the week before we got to the fort, we spent an hour on line, looking around all of the websites that offer the service.

We came accross apple who have been mentioned before, and More Than. However, we then found a local company.

We had to double take on the site, as their price was so much lower than anyone else. I called the company, and talked to Steve. He told me that all of the scooters on their fleet were under 1 month old, and that they were the top of the range. ( I thought to myself that it seemed to good to be true).

However, on Saturday, the van rolled up, and they offloaded a bright yellow scooter with a huge captain seat. This thing was great, and it ran for 28 miles on a charge.

I will never use another company for mobility scooter rental in Disney. I would advise everyone to shop around though, as there is so much competition for these products. For me, price and quality are the deciding factors.

Anyway, great forum guys. Enjoying reading the posts.

PM me for the name of the company.

John

It's a coincidence that this thread should get revived.

For the first time in a long time, I had one of the behemoth scooters tonight called the "Dream" scooter. It's more like a nightmare.

They are huge. They stand out because of their unique tricycle design.

We're not required to board them as they don't fit inside the template, but I looked at the women in it and thought wow, that is the only scooter that this overly obese woman will fit in, so I said come on in. I am not going to argue with a 500lb woman while dozens of guests look on.

Of course the thing is so wide that it barely fits on the ramp, so it took her several tries to line it up.

Meanwhile the other riders are just thrilled that they have to wait another 10 minutes to board because this over-sized person can't say no to a Big Mac.

And then came the tricky part, transferring to a seat. We have to at least request it for safety reasons. If they refuse and the scooter tips over because it's top heavy with the person on it, it's not on Disney. But after several attempts, she managed to waddle over to a seat.

• 7 months later...

My Mom has had the Dream before.  She's only about 250lbs.  But, she LOVES to ride the dream...and she's stubborn.  So, since most of the bus drivers have let her on, she continues to get it.  No more!  I've convinced her that we are NOT going to miss a boat or a bus because of her scooter choice.  

So, I need to find a scooter that is 

a ) comfy enough to satisfy her

b ) fits Disney standards

and I'd like to know if there are any that fit the above AND:

c) can be broken down and/or lifted into a truck (since we'll have the F350) if we want to drive to the parks that day.

d) fit on the small boats coming to the Fort (are there any that fit on the small boats?)

Thanks!

My Mom has had the Dream before. She's only about 250lbs. But, she LOVES to ride the dream...and she's stubborn. So, since most of the bus drivers have let her on, she continues to get it. No more! I've convinced her that we are NOT going to miss a boat or a bus because of her scooter choice.

So, I need to find a scooter that is

a ) comfy enough to satisfy her

b ) fits Disney standards

and I'd like to know if there are any that fit the above AND:

c) can be broken down and/or lifted into a truck (since we'll have the F350) if we want to drive to the parks that day.

d) fit on the small boats coming to the Fort (are there any that fit on the small boats?)

Thanks!

The Pride Mobility 10 is what we have as a personal ECV and is the brand rented by Buena Vista Scooters. (They will deliver to the Fort) . It is a very comfortable ECV. It is fast and has good battery life. It is legal size for the busses and will fit on the large boats. The small bots cannot take ANY scooters or wheelchairs. It is heavy but breaks down to load in a vehicle. Two healthy folks can lift it into the back of a pickup no problem. If I take the batteries out, I can lift the front end onto my tailgaite, then pickup the back end and push it into my truck by myself.