Happy New Years fellow Fort Fiends. We are right now spending our last night in a Fort Wilderness cabin. We usually bring our 5th wheel and camp on a site for 10 days. But my son came down from Virginia so it’s been a short but sweet visit. Now for my rant. I am so mad as I look around at the beautiful surroundings of the 100s of cabins. And I ask why?  With all the DVCs around and the ones that are proposed, do they need to take these away from the ordinary family that needs the room to have a comfortable stay. Why can’t they replace some to be DVC and leave some the way they anre for non DVC. It's  almost like Disney is pushing DVC down our throats. Now my question for any DVC members, will non DVC members be able to reserve the new DVC cabins? Thank you everyone 

2 hours ago, Love Ft Wilderness said:

Based on other information I've seen from DVC owners, yes, there will be cash reservations available for the cabins.  The challenge to us non-DVC owners is that it will cost more than it is now and our choices for availability during the holidays may be slim.  

Thank you. That is what I thought. My hopes is maybe like the other DVC at the River country site, it will be scrapped. There is nothing wrong with these cabins except for cosmetics. 

20 hours ago, jlf said:

Thank you. That is what I thought. My hopes is maybe like the other DVC at the River country site, it will be scrapped. There is nothing wrong with these cabins except for cosmetics. 

I believe some of the new cabins are already being prepped with swaps to start this summer. I do not expect this one to go away unfortunately. 

Oh, this will definitely will not be going away...  All the paperwork has been filed with Orange County.  If you have nothing better to do for the next five days, you can read through all the documentation that is out there at present:

Go here: https://occompt.com/official-records/search-official-records/
Click accept
Go to Basic Official Records Search
Fill-in the Document Nos (20230743961, 20230743962, 20230743963 & 20230743964)
hit search

2 of the cabins have already been removed from the 2200 loop...  When we were there back the first week of December, I was chatting with the lady in the check-in lane about these 2 cabins, and she told me (take it with a grain of salt) they were doing a "dry run" on see how "things would work out" in terms of getting the old cabins out.  So it shouldn't be long before they start the process of switching out what's there now...

In terms of limiting these to only DVC members, that will not be the case.  You will still be able to reserve on a cash basis just as you can now reserve at any of the other DVC resorts on property.  Yes, the price may change, just as EVERYTHING at Disney does...  As a DVC member myself (who still prefers staying in my MH at the Fort), I've been reading (and laughing out loud) on some of the other Disney related boards that many of the current DVC members are not really looking to jump ship over to the "dark side" of Fort Wilderness...  They are stating the lack of amenities, the current pool situation, the layout inside the new cabins, the bus service to get around, the lack of restaurants, not having a washer/dryer included in the units, and remoteness from the parks that contribute to their "non-desire" to purchase here.

I feel this move from Disney was a way for "someone else" to foot the bill for the replacement of the current cabins.  These things have been there a long time, and are most likely needing replacement.  I feel the target audience for this new "arm of DVC" will be to the folks who already know what the "Fort vibe" is all about.  I really don't think there will be many folks burning up the phone lines at DVC to add on points for the cabins. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just because "Tiny Homes" are popular on various Cable TV channels now, WDW is bringing them to the Fort as well. No one would want to sleep in camper, when you can sleep in a "Tiny Home" (when they are basically the same thing.) Just think of the treehouses  that were new and unusual back in the 1970's, now not so popular anymore. the same thing will happen to the "Tiny Homes" it's a fad that will come and go.

Cabins, tiny homes, wilderness trailers, whatever you want to call them have been at the Fort for a long time...  The DVC cabins that Disney is putting in are basically the same thing that is there now.   I think this was a way for Disney to pay for replacements on someone else's nickel.  Plus, they have an opportunity to market to a different demographic.  On how successful they will be, is anyone's guess.  The cabins will still be available to the cash paying public as well as now being inside the "DVC bubble". 

The inside layout has changed a bit, but the number of beds still turn out to be the same. The outside aesthetics look different, however, when you boil it all down, they are still the same thing in terms of the product being offered.  I do think this new design looks somewhere between a park model trailer and a shipping container, but times change, and we all know how Disney's designers have gone off the "old school reservation" here lately in terms of theming...

I personally think this is a precursor to bringing back the Reflections property, and rolling it all into one...