Finally Norad Is Working

All you computer & software geeks will be interested to hear about this. Quietly and without much fanfare, the newest phase of the much ballyhooed automated bus routing system has been successfully launched. It's been a long time in coming.

What does it mean to you? Absolutely nothing. Will it improve service? Not at all..

It's called NORAD for "no radio".

The previous system required drivers to call in on the hand radio in order to get the computer code for the next route. The code would then be entered by the driver. Why do we need a code you ask.? Without it, there are no spiels, background music, arrival announcements, and a few other things that make life easier for the drivers.

Most people think WDW buses run the same route over and over again. Nope, we don't repeat a route and we cover all of WDW no matter what hub we're based out of.

With this latest phase, when buses are 6 minutes from their Hub, the code for the next route appears on the display automatically and that's that.

It's great for the drivers. Picking up the radio and driving with one hand, trying to beat out other drivers to get on the line with a noisy full bus can be a little challenging. It was an annoying part of the job, Well it's gone.

NORAD? Seriously? Hasn't that already been done by the Gov't....as in the 60's??

Really though... it sounds like it will make your job a lot easier - but will also give the Disney Suits a reason not to give you a raise next time your contract comes up (if you're union, that is).

This is just the first step in making all the buses remote control. :rofl2:

Welcome aboard MagicBus, the Disney Audio Animatronic Transportation System. This new system is computer controlled and totally automated so that nothing can go wrong. (in the background - "Damn it - it's crashed again. Reboot the system") Have a Magical Day ...

NORAD? Seriously? Hasn't that already been done by the Gov't....as in the 60's??

Really though... it sounds like it will make your job a lot easier - but will also give the Disney Suits a reason not to give you a raise next time your contract comes up (if you're union, that is).

The whole calling in process only took 30 seconds, so it's not that big a deal. It just gets rid of one annoying tiny part of the job. All the drivers like it.

There is no pay difference between union and non union CMs.

Since some guy in Texas can fly an unmanned drone aircraft in Afghanistan, Disney will now be accepting applications for bus drivers in Pennsylvania. I have applied to drive a bus from my living room using only my iPad. Of course, my shift will have to not interfere with my evening glass of Merlot. To make it interesting, the route app looks like pacman.

There is no pay difference between union and non union CMs.

Understood, but the Union negotiates the contracts. Because Fl is a "right to work" state, non-union members reap the benefits of the Union's work - without paying the dues. :argh: (Can you tell I was a union member?)

A company will always try to justify not giving raises or giving a tiny raise and think the workers should be satisfied with it.

When I was in the army, everybody bought frs radios. They were much more reliable than the military ones.

FRS, POS, what are you guys talking about? Is that geek speek?

FRS - Family Radio Service - those little radios that became really popular about 12-13 years ago. Really cheap, lots of folks brought them to the parks and you could hear "beep, beep" everywhere.

About a year or so after those got really big, cell phone service EXPLODED, so the radios got even cheaper. I still see lots of families use them in the parks. Our Scout troop takes several of them on campouts especially summer camp, for the adults to communicate with each other.

The frs radios had crappy range, although it is much better today, but they were ideal for convoys and other places where short range, unsecured communication was necessary, and they were reliable as all hell. I have a set of gmrs radios I now use for camping which have much better range.