anolefan's Charleston, SC Trip Report

Thanks for the TR. I'll be up that way (Savannah) in a couple of weeks camping, and I'm sure we'll make at least one day trip to Charleston. It's been many years since I was there so I'll try to spot some of the buildings in your pics.

Where are you camping in Savannah. We do a long weekend every fall to Savannah, but always stay at a hotel on East Bay. It is crawling distance from river street. :rofl2:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pictures Tom. I am enjoying your relaxing stroll around Charleston. Of course I still wouldn't be up at 8 o'clock in the morning to do it :rofl2:

I know I have issues with sleeping in late, even on vacation. I am a very early riser.

We stayed at James Island County Park. As other Fiends have said -- just wonderful. Truly a great campground. In addition to the dog park/water park, there were tons and tons and tons of bike trails that we rode forever.

Loving your photos -- just beautiful!

Thank you!

I will definitely make James Island a destination for an upcoming trip. I have heard too many good things about this park not to.

That tree lined sidewalk at Riverfront park is beautiful. I could sit there all day, especially with a DD coffee!

Maybe the lifeguard sign was put there for people like me?! YOU said the water is ankle deep....so that would probably be hip deep on me. :rofl2: I promise to wear my arm floaties if I decide to take a dip in that fountain!

Now that is funny!

Well done!

Wow, everything looks so different then what I remember. Of course, I lived there before Hurricane Hugo.

I wish I had taken and kept more pictures. Of course back then, it was all film cameras and film and processing was expensive and we were BROKE!!

Funny you mention film cameras. I debated taking an old Canon A-1 SLR for this trip, but digital has spoiled me. I want instant gratification and not knowing how something turns out drives me nuts now.

Thanks for the TR. I'll be up that way (Savannah) in a couple of weeks camping, and I'm sure we'll make at least one day trip to Charleston. It's been many years since I was there so I'll try to spot some of the buildings in your pics.

Definitely plan to give yourself the majority of the day, and I would recommend parking somewhere by Market Street. This will give you a good starting point and you should be able to walk to a majority of spots from there.

Have a wonderful trip, and enjoy Savannah, we love it there also.

Well, it is now just about 8am on Tuesday morning and I have enjoyed a wonderful walk, had my gourmet cup of DD coffee, and have relaxed in Waterfront Park for a while.

When I went back into the hotel lobby I was greeted with a nice arrangement of fresh fruit and pastries. We ended up taking advantage of this everyday so we could save our hunger for lunch and dinner.

We had something similar to this each morning. A chocolate filled croissant and a regular croissant. They were yummy!

standard.jpg

We had planned to visit Fort Sumter and the next ferry to depart was at 12pm, so we decided to walk over to Liberty Square, purchase our tickets, then find a place to eat a late breakfast.

We thought this place looked good so we stopped in and had pancakes and french toast.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

It is located on Bay Street, just shy of Calhoun Street. We found out that this is the bakery that delivered the pastries to our hotel each morning.

Surprise, surprise, I saw another wonderful church on our way back to wait for the Fort Sumter Ferry.

standard.jpg

These two houses are right off of Calhoun St. on the way to Liberty Square. They have left the houses and built around them. It is kind of an odd appearance, but neat at the same time.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

You can see the Single House design better on this house from this angle.

standard.jpg

Liberty Square. The aquarium is directly next door on the left.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The USS Yorktown from the ferry.

standard.jpg

Approaching Fort Sumter. It is still an impressive and imposing sight, even after all these years.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The next set of photos are taken during our visit on Fort Sumter.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is an artillery shell stuck in the wall.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

This wall is still leaning from artillery blasts.

standard.jpg

Here we are getting ready to board the ferry on our way back.

standard.jpg

Up next we visit the US Military Museum.

Where are you camping in Savannah. We do a long weekend every fall to Savannah, but always stay at a hotel on East Bay. It is crawling distance from river street. :rofl2:

We're camping at Ft. McAllister mainly so we can go fishing and crabbing.

Happy Anniversary! Great photos. I love Charleston!

America runs on Dunkin'.... ;)

Thanks!

I am patiently waiting your 2nd trip report which is right around the corner! :banana:

Happy Anniversary!!

You are doing a wonderful job with this TR. Looking foward to more.

Thank you!

We had a wonderful time. I'm trying to get this done quickly, but I took more photos than normal.

When we returned to the dock after visiting Fort Sumter, we noticed the American Military Museum next to the aquarium and decided to pop in to see what it was all about.

It is not a large place, and looks rather modest from the outside. I was greeted with a nice man who gave me a little history of the museum. Apparently everything housed here is authentic. He said most of the items were donated from one individual, which after walking through, amazed me. He told me to take as many pictures as I wanted as that is how the museum is promoted. I obliged :)

The museum was designed to take you from the most recent conflicts to the oldest.

This was one of my favorite places we saw during our trip definitely recommend it if you are interested in US Military history.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Up next, we stroll down to Battery Park, get some dinner, and take a Ghost Walking Tour.

Love the pictures from the military museum. That's one thing I've never seen in charleston. Looks like I need to make another trip to SC :banana:

We really enjoyed it. I would have never known about it had we not walked over that way to see what was in that area. It was a pleasant surprise.

Moving right along, after a short break at the hotel we walked down to Battery Park, then back up to Market St. for dinner.

On our way we saw some beautiful homes.

Here is the only shot I got from the park.

standard.jpg

This house is one of the oldest in the city.

standard.jpg

Now this next photo is where things got interesting for me. Once we got back to the hotel for the night, I downloaded my photos to my netbook and I noticed some odd things in this photo.

standard.jpg

Let's look at that a little closer.

standard.jpg

Now I will be the first to admit that I have been somewhat sheltered and up until looking at this photo I had never even heard of an "orb". Since we were staying in one of the most haunted cities in America, I figured I would look into this online. Now after researching this I know that most of these things that come out in photos are dust, moisture, insects etc.., but what the heck is going on with the green thing in the upper right hand corner. And if you look closer you will see the two other appearances I circled around the car.

I don't know what they are, but I didn't need to use a flash and the buildings behind me blocked out any direct sunlight. I can also say that I have had this camera for 3 years and have never seen anything like this come out in a photo.

Naturally after seeing this photo I was all about going on a Ghost Tour, so after eating dinner we sought out a tour company.

We decided we would go with Bulldog Tours as they have received good reviews and they have access to buildings that other companies do not. I wanted to go on the Haunted Jail Tour, but we ended up going on the Ghost and Graveyard Tour instead.

Here is one of those self taken photos while we waited for our tour to begin.

standard.jpg

Bulldog Tours.

standard.jpg

We enjoyed our tour, and our guide was interesting and did a great job keeping us interested in the stories she told.

Here are some photos of the Circular Church Graveyard I took during our tour. Check out the orbs, dusts, insects, or whatever they are in some of the photos.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And with that, Tuesday is in the books.

Up next, we visit a pretty cool plantation.

I'm sorry to let you down, but I only took 2 food pictures, and they aren't that special.

I will tell everyone where we ate each day though, we had great luck with food this trip.

Oh, you're not letting me down! I'm really enjoying this report!! :dance:

We've done ghost tours in Williamsburg and in Boston, and I've never gotten any orbs or nothing in my photos. I gotta get back to Charleston! What a cool experience!

Oooooooo. Ghosts. I am now putting the graveyard tour on my list of things to do next time I visit Charleston. This report just keeps getting better. :banana:

I know. I have another odd experience coming up in my next post.

Oh, you're not letting me down! I'm really enjoying this report!! :dance:

We've done ghost tours in Williamsburg and in Boston, and I've never gotten any orbs or nothing in my photos. I gotta get back to Charleston! What a cool experience!

Definitely!

I visited Williamsburg, but never even thought to take a ghost tour. I'll have to make a point to do that when we get back there with the kids.

Tom-

I am enjoying all of your photos.

Good job reppin' the Rays!

(I am surprised Magicbus hasn't broken out with any of his Red Socks smack)

TCD

Funny you mention the Rays. I remember the grief I got for my son sporting the Rangers hat during our New Years trip. Guess what we brought him for a souvenir? A Charleston Riverdogs hat LOL!

:suspense:

:)

I am really enjoying your report! The military museum looks really interesting.

Thanks. That, and the plantation I'm about to post about were my favorites.

FYI about the military musuem, there is a chance it will be closing or relocating. This was on the local news recently and I haven't been able to find an update.

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/14680993/lowcountry-museum-may-be-history

FYI about the military musuem, there is a chance it will be closing or relocating. This was on the local news recently and I haven't been able to find an update.

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/14680993/lowcountry-museum-may-be-history

That stinks. Come to think of it, we were the only ones there during our visit.

We are now up to Wednesday, and after the amount of walking we did Monday night and all day Tuesday, we decided to get in the car and go for a drive.

We looked up the plantations in the area and decided that Drayton Hall would fit us the best. It was old, it has been preserved and not restored, so that intrigued us as we wanted to see something close to original.

Here we are waiting for our car outside the hotel.

standard.jpg

Drayton Hall was about 25 minutes away from the hotel, and here is the view driving up to the main house.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Here is the back side of the house facing the river.

standard.jpg

Another view of the back of the house.

standard.jpg

Looking towards the river.

standard.jpg

An impressive oak.

standard.jpg

They even sell their own bottled water!

standard.jpg

Here is the view from the front of the house.

standard.jpg

We had the best tour guide ever. Her knowledge was amazing and she explained the history of the plantation, the family, and the area in great detail. I got so caught up listening to her that I really didn't take too many photos of the house, but got a few decent ones.

As I stated before, the house has been preserved, so it really looks awesome inside. From the lead paint on the walls, to the uneven floor boards, it just felt like you were stepping back to the late 1700's. The house was built in 1738 and was completed in 1742, and has withstood all the natural disasters since. The other buildings around the house have not and this is the only structure standing.

Here are the photos I got of the main house.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Check out the detail on the ceiling.

standard.jpg

This is a mahogany swag that each window in this room had hanging above it.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Nice detail on the stairs.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

On the way back to the hotel, we ate at this cafe and if you are ever visiting this plantation I would recommend you eat here. It is on the same road as the house on the way back into town.

standard.jpg

When we got back to the hotel, we decided to take it easy the rest of the day and hung out around the hotel.

We did have to get some Gelato at this place, which was two doors down from the hotel.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Day three in the books.

Thursday we visit another plantation and I have another weird experience during my early morning walk.

Thanks for the awesome photo tour of Charleston - looks like a fantastic city and your pics are really great!

Can't wait for more...

Love all the architecture/detail shots!!

Thanks Monique!

I could have stayed for 2 weeks and probably not gotten bored. It was a wonderful vacation.

Tom, Great Trip Report. Wow!!! I feel like I have been on a grand tour of South Carolina’s greatest

City. Glad ya’ll had a great vacation, thanks for sharing with us. :D