Joker's Stone Mountain Trip Report

I'm so sorry I missed you at SM! Love the photos -- did you see the one inside the museum (or maybe I'm thinking about the Memorial Hall itself) that showed an actual-size mockup of one of the horse's bridles? It gives you an idea on just how HUGE that carving really is. From far away, you think, "Yeah, it's big," but until you see it close up, it's hard to grasp. According to the info in Mem Hall, the carving itself is larger than **Mount Rushmore** -- which I picture WAY bigger.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No its just the 4 canopy's put side by side by side and the 2 packs of screen wrapped around the whole thing! The wind curtain I wrapped around one canopy before the screen went up, that gave us a sto

Too funny!

That is a lot of bacon there :)

Great report!

Thanks, Gotta love the BACON!

Well, now I have lusted on the internet. :rofl2:

:pope:

That is one fine picture of you and Missy, I guess mabey I do know how to use a camera. :banana:

Yes, Yes it is! Thats why I stole it! :raspberry2:

Lovin' this TR, TJ!! :popcorn:

Thank you! Still a little more to come!

I'm so sorry I missed you at SM! Love the photos -- did you see the one inside the museum (or maybe I'm thinking about the Memorial Hall itself) that showed an actual-size mockup of one of the horse's bridles? It gives you an idea on just how HUGE that carving really is. From far away, you think, "Yeah, it's big," but until you see it close up, it's hard to grasp. According to the info in Mem Hall, the carving itself is larger than **Mount Rushmore** -- which I picture WAY bigger.

I'm sorry we missed you as well! Was looking forward to meeting in person. Yes, we did see the mock up, it does put things in perspective. The sky way driver also said you can park two city buses on the the front horses rear! That would be an interesting stop for Lou to make! :rofl2:

TJ-

Awesome report and awesome photos!

I'm sorry that your trip did not start as planned, but it looks like you made the best of it.

I may have missed it, but did you have AC in your tent? It looks like you had everything else!

TCD

Thanks!

Plans are meant to be broken! All part of the adventure!

Yes, there was AC in the tent! And it was GOOD! Was going to bring the pool table, but maybe we"ll do that for the GG in Oct. >:D

More great pictures, I really want to see everything Stone Mountain has to offer. How hot was it on top of the mountain? Was it a lot of walking? These are the things I need to know so I can talk Mike into stuff. Although I have to admit the thought of the skyway has me hyper-ventilating. :rofl2:

Love the setup! It looks like y'all ended up having a great trip despite the rough start!

It was a great trip! Looking forward to next years!

Great TR so far and really cool setup!

Love the Lays chip photos - so nice of Dave to bring back some souvenirs for the Fiends :rofl2:

Funny thing about that. The day before Dave said he had something for me tomorrow, I was clueless to what it was, Then at the pot luck he pulls out the Bacon Chips!

What an AWESOME surprise!!

More great pictures, I really want to see everything Stone Mountain has to offer. How hot was it on top of the mountain? Was it a lot of walking? These are the things I need to know so I can talk Mike into stuff. Although I have to admit the thought of the skyway has me hyper-ventilating. :rofl2:

Up on top the temp. was cooler and a nice steady breeze. I was thinking of moving the tent up there. :rofl2: I wouldn't call it a lot of walking but the terrain was a little ruff and steep. The sky way ride was fine, the only time it was interesting was when it went over the "hump" at the top! All part of the Adventure!

After a long walk from the sky way, it's on to the Train!

100_0488.jpg

100_0495.jpg

100_0494.jpg

100_0493.jpg

100_0492.jpg

100_0491.jpg

After the Train ride we had a quick bite to eat then off to see Yogi Bear's 4D movie, where they spray a lot of water in you face and turn on big air blowers to exerts from the Yogi Bear movie that was in theaters. Not bad at all!

After that we wandered through a few stores and decided to head back to camp.

Snapped a few pics.

100_0413.jpg

100_0411.jpg

Back at camp we got the stuff together and headed up the hill to Jen and Chris's site to finish off all the left overs. Then heard KFK and H where making SMORES!!! Had to go visit for a few, right?! :rofl2:

Midnight rolled around again, time for Bed!

Tuesday!!! Time to pack and load again TantrumSmiley.gif Way too soon! Need just a few more days! Please! .... no!

So all loaded, Hugs and goodbye's to fiends and on the road home. Then we saw this..

100_0401.jpg

HEY, Wheres Perry??

Thanks!

Plans are meant to be broken! All part of the adventure!

Yes, there was AC in the tent! And it was GOOD! Was going to bring the pool table, but maybe we"ll do that for the GG in Oct. >:D

What kind of AC did you have? We didnt have one for memorial day weekend and it was hot as hell during the day, at night it actually got a little cool but I MUST figure something with the AC before 4th of July or I may die.. and I will miss you all :rofl2:

yes, I've heard of the acboot.. I'm just not a fan of cutting my tent. Not to mention the ol' man wont let me play with sharp objects

What kind of AC did you have? We didnt have one for memorial day weekend and it was hot as hell during the day, at night it actually got a little cool but I MUST figure something with the AC before 4th of July or I may die.. and I will miss you all :rofl2:

yes, I've heard of the acboot.. I'm just not a fan of cutting my tent. Not to mention the ol' man wont let me play with sharp objects

We had a small window unit that worked because of the way the rear doors of the tent zip up. BUT I'm going to get a portable unit they sell at Wal-Mart that all you do is run an exhaust hose outside!

Something like this.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-8-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-Control/15579352

We had a small window unit that worked because of the way the rear doors of the tent zip up. BUT I'm going to get a portable unit they sell at Wal-Mart that all you do is run an exhaust hose outside!

Something like this.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-8-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-Control/15579352

that's sorta what I'm looking at as well, if you have Sam's Club they have some killer deals!

I for one can vouch for the fact that you DO NOT want to camp at Stone Mountain in August. My last trip there was in August many years ago and we were in a popup without a fan or AC. That big 'ol rock soaks up all the sun during the day and turns into the largest heater on earth after sundown. Don't believe I've ever been that hot in my life and I've lived in Florida for that same length of time. On another note, thanks for all the great pics and comments about the GG. Glad everyone had a great time.

thanks for all the great pics and comments about the GG. Glad everyone had a great time.

Thank you for reading along!

Great pics and report! Thanks so much for posting!

The skyway looks awesome - I love that kind of thing. :banana:

Thanks, and yes, it was a great ride!