Joker's Stone Mountain Trip Report

Took a little while to get here, But here we go!

This story starts on Thursday, woke up around 1pm and started getting the last of the supplies packed and staged to fill the truck. The plan was to load the tuck that night and leave first thing Friday morning. As luck would have it work called about 7pm and I had to pull an all niter.

Rolled in about 7am and proceeded loading up.

100_0501.jpg

10am Truck filled to the gills, a quick shower and on the road! 95 north up to Savannah and its time for lunch, Exit 94 theres a Sonic! Placed our order and the moment it arrived the hail storm started, about pea sized. So we sat and ate to the sounds of clatter on the roof. Belly fed and the rain done we are on the road again.

30 or so miles later the truck starts swaying and we pull it over, rear tire going down fast! Lucky we were right at a weigh station on I16. One of the guy's working inside came out and offered a floor jack they had in the shed! Spare installed and on the move again. BTW: there is no decent place to get tires any where between Savannah and Macon on 16. Tried two different towns along the way and no luck, its getting late and hate setting up a tent in the dark. So we decided to push our luck and make it to the park. Said to the wife, I must be getting old, in my younger days I wouldn't have a worry about running with no spare. :blink:

7pm Friday we roll up to check-in. Our 5 1/2 hour trip has now taken 9 hours! Time to set up camp!

100_8190.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No its just the 4 canopy's put side by side by side and the 2 packs of screen wrapped around the whole thing! The wind curtain I wrapped around one canopy before the screen went up, that gave us a sto

Took a little while to get here, But here we go!

This story starts on Thursday, woke up around 1pm and started getting the last of the supplies packed and staged to fill the truck. The plan was to load the tuck that night and leave first thing Friday morning. As luck would have it work called about 7pm and I had to pull an all niter.

Rolled in about 7am and proceeded loading up.

100_0501.jpg

10am Truck filled to the gills, a quick shower and on the road! 95 north up to Savannah and its time for lunch, Exit 94 theres a Sonic! Placed our order and the moment it arrived the hail storm started, about pea sized. So we sat and ate to the sounds of clatter on the roof. Belly fed and the rain done we are on the road again.

30 or so miles later the truck starts swaying and we pull it over, rear tire going down fast! Lucky we were right at a weigh station on I16. One of the guy's working inside came out and offered a floor jack they had in the shed! Spare installed and on the move again. BTW: there is no decent place to get tires any where between Savannah and Macon on 16. Tried two different towns along the way and no luck, its getting late and hate setting up a tent in the dark. So we decided to push our luck and make it to the park. Said to the wife, I must be getting old, in my younger days I wouldn't have a worry about running with no spare. :blink:

7pm Friday we roll up to check-in. Our 5 1/2 hour trip has now taken 9 hours! Time to set up camp!

100_8190.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

Awesome setup!!!!

Wow Joker you weren’t joking about your packed full vehicle huh! Hope you have lotsa pics.

Tell us more. :popcorn:

Wow! Great set up! No wonder the truck was so full. Can't wait to hear more.

Thanks, and thats a pic of the truck loaded going home. It was more full going there. missed taking a pic of the "going to" load. :rofl2:

TJ, looks like you had a crappy start, but you made it and the set up is awesome! Now please tell me what is in the crock pot and the bowl! :D

"Crappy start" Yes, yes we did.

"awesome set up" Thanks

"crock pot and the bowl" Spoilers! (but the answer is coming soon...)

Awesome setup!!!!

Thanks to you Carol, Great ideas from a great fiend!

TJ that is a great setup. That looks awesome how you have the tent & the screen houses set up.

Thanks, thats the first time we had it set up like that. We loved it!

Ditto!

Looks awesome.

Can't wait for more.

Thanks, more on the way!

Wow Joker you weren’t joking about your packed full vehicle huh! Hope you have lotsa pics.

Tell us more. :popcorn:

More pics. on the way!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. love the set up, we gotta talk!!! Where in the world did you find the connecting canopies that big?? :popcorn:

It looks like 4 Wal-Mart First Ups and two sets of screen rooms.

Yep thats what I did, plus the wind curtain. Judy I think you were the one I asked where you got the screens from.

Great start TJ. Sorry to hear you had trouble along the way but these are the things that make great trip reports. I love your set up, you need to post a picture of it on Donnies contest thread.

Thanks, I always try to say "it's all part of the adventure" when things go wrong. and yes makes for some of the best stories!

Friday.. 9pm All set up! After being up 33hours you would think crash and burn time right!?

NOPE!

Time to see the fiends! Since we were all close together a small stroll up the hill and there they are all camped out on Bob's front lawn. :dance: It was nice to meet Bob & Kathy in person. Carol & Rick, Lorna & Richie & Matt & Buddy, Donnie & DD, were all there!

So we B.S.'ed till midnight and I was dog tired! It was time for a shower and bed! The comfort stations were clean and decent, no air condition, but the temps at night were pleasant. Crawled in bed and dont remember the head touching to pillow! GONE!

Saturday morning 7am Time for Bacon!!

100_0404.jpg

Ate breakfast and decided I need a nap, Crash & Burn! Guess all the hours up Friday did me in. 3 hour later now I'm ready! Missy went looping while I was sleeping, found her on top of the hill chatting with fiends. So sat and catted for a few and back to the camp to start cooking for the pot luck!

IMAG0185.jpg

Meatballs in the crock pot and potatoes in the bowl for tater salad.

Also made a strawberry & blueberry trifle.

IMAG0180.jpg

YUM!

Time for the pot luck! And all my favorite fiends were there!

100_0432.jpg

100_0431.jpg

100_0428.jpg

100_0423.jpg

100_0421.jpg

100_0420.jpg

100_0419.jpg

And OH MY what a spread!

IMAG0187.jpg

100_0424.jpg

Dave brought a special gift to the table! NO NOT OHANNNA!! But these!

IMAG0188.jpg

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

that's just an awesome idea, I never thought of connecting the ez up's, do you actully have them connected with a gutter or just zipped together with the screen curtains? my wheels are turning... whoaahaa haa..(evil laugh)

No its just the 4 canopy's put side by side by side and the 2 packs of screen wrapped around the whole thing! The wind curtain I wrapped around one canopy before the screen went up, that gave us a storage/dressing room. Seams to me if you did it right with that one room and a good floor covering that would be good to have as a tent. "don't know" I'll probably tinker with it and have some fun.

After we were all fed and watered, went to see the laser show. Fiends in a conga line of vehicles off we go! Found parking spaces and walked 5 miles uphill to the front lawn area to see the show.

IMAG0189.jpg

Someone had went ahead of us to "get a spot" but by the time we got there it was FULL! And there was no way to find anybody. The show started and we kind of found a spot to see it. Nice show and fireworks. Back to the camp and up the hill to fiends and drinks... then to bed.

Sunday! Slept late, ate, went to Wal-Mart and got the tire replaced (did I mention the tire went flat do to hole in side wall?) $100 later and we are good to go. 1:30 DoodleBug & Mike had found the park! Went to the front and lead them in. Rounded up the fiends and visited for a while. Also put on some family style ribs in the dutch oven for dinner.

DoodleBug & Mike

100_0448.jpg

Carol,Lorna,Bob,Kim

100_0450.jpg

Lorna,Bob,Kim,Kathy,Richie

100_0449.jpg

Carol,Lorna,Bob,Kim,Kathy,Richie,Holly

100_0445.jpg

THE JOKER!

100_0429.jpg

JOKER & HARLIE QUINN (I STOLE THIS ONE..HEHE)

100_6598.jpg

Finished up dinner and we ate and snacked on left overs with the fiends, Someone did make a Krystal's run to get their fix! :rofl2: Hung out and bed time again..

TJ, you have a buddy for life, my DS12 was looking through here and saw your obvious love for Bacon.. he said.. "Finally mom, a man after my own heart.." :rofl2: he has a overwhelming love for bacon as well. He dont touch mayo but he will down some baconnaise in a heart beat!

I dont eat mayo very often at all. But I will on a bacon sandwich! Just for Ya'll

100_0406.jpg

100_0502.jpg