When there is a storm, put your awnings down, please.

Here are some examples of people who did not put their awnings down or secure them in a fashion in a Florida wind/rainstorm. The pictures speak for themselves.

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

on this picture, you will have to look closely in the middle, as the water has pooled in the middle of his awning, it snapped later on after I took this picture

IMG_0546.jpg

There were at least two awnings in the 900 loop and a couple in every loop we checked on. We were lucky because we had dropped one side of our awning, but we didn't put it up. That was a bad storm that came through.

I felt so sorry for all those people. What an awful way to end your day at Disney to come home to that.

Dang, those pictures just gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I know how that feels. We were in Chatanooga, TN when a freak storm/tornado? came through during the night. We woke up and couldn't open the door because the awning was down over it. It sucks.

I learned the hard way 2 years ago. Bad news is that doesn't stop it all the time as evidenced by my awning monday....it was closed! Ripped it open.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/bord1niowa/100_5523.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/bord1niowa/100_5522.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/bord1niowa/100_5521.jpg

It did take 110 - 130 mph winds for 25 minutes to do this.

We went thru a very bad storm in TN., but came out ok. We always lower ours to one side when we leave for the day. It looks like alot of them collasped in the center, I think you just can't take a chance. these storms come out of nowhere. I would have felt sick too coming back to that.

I have a somewhat unconventional way of avoiding water collecting in the awning, I leave the rear arm un-braced. The weight of the roller keeps the awning extended, but if rain starts to collect in the awning the arm will swing toward the camper and the awning will become a trough draining at the rear. The only real risk I can think of is in whipping winds the loose arm might be bashed against the camper, and the awning could flap until ripping. I've had none of these problems despite some pretty turbulent weather. Use at your own discretion, milage may vary, results are not typical, no warrantee expressed or implied.

ShantaClausSm.png

I can tell you from personal experience, that 80 mph cross winds while driving at about a max speed of 20 mph, will rip a closed locked and latched awning right off the side of your TT. It sucked, it left us on the side of I-80 in Oh in TORRENTIAL rain with me trying to remove the bent and twisted remains of ours so we could make it the rest of the way home!!! Our insurance paid for the new one, minus the dang deductible of course. :argh:

We went thru a very bad storm in TN., but came out ok. We always lower ours to one side when we leave for the day. It looks like alot of them collasped in the center, I think you just can't take a chance. these storms come out of nowhere. I would have felt sick too coming back to that.

I agree. About everyone of those awning where not tilted and snapped from the weigh of water and not wind. The others not sure wind either except maybe one.

I strap my awning down and tilt it at least 4 inches. Unless tropical storm speed winds are coming I leave my awning up and out and have never had a probelm. Your normal, typical summer afternoon rain storm...not a problem here and never has been in over 30 years of camping.

I can't tell you how many awnings I looked at this past trip that were not tilted. If they were out sitting under the awning I warned them about the possible damage if they did not tilt them. Otherwise, they are just accidents waiting to happen.

This is why I stopped using my awning and now just use 2 EZ-ups if something happen to them it will only cost $79-$97 to replace and willn't damage my RV. That must suck coming back to your RV after a great day at the parks and find this has happen. That could blow all of your vacation $$

I agree. About everyone of those awning where not tilted and snapped from the weigh of water and not wind. The others not sure wind either except maybe one.

I strap my awning down and tilt it at least 4 inches. Unless tropical storm speed winds are coming I leave my awning up and out and have never had a probelm. Your normal, typical summer afternoon rain storm...not a problem here and never has been in over 30 years of camping.

I can't tell you how many awnings I looked at this past trip that were not tilted. If they were out sitting under the awning I warned them about the possible damage if they did not tilt them. Otherwise, they are just accidents waiting to happen.

I have seen your set up, and always have been impressed. I do believe that my husband took pointers from you years ago. We actually leave ours up most of the time, but have it strapped down in much the fashion you do. I am looking into getting those straps that you have as an extra precaution as well. That one storm last week was a little too much for even my comfort level.

This is why I stopped using my awning and now just use 2 EZ-ups if something happen to them it will only cost $79-$97 to replace and willn't damage my RV. That must suck coming back to your RV after a great day at the parks and find this has happen. That could blow all of your vacation $$

I talked to a guy who lost three of them in one shot in the 200 loop. He was not a happy camper.

When we were at Assateague Island in April, we got some friendly advice from some regulars to put the awning away every night. Seems it's not uncommon for the wind to pick up fierce at night and has been known to actually tip some trailers on their sides if they leave the awning out. Seemed extreme, but our trailer was being buffeted by some strong gusts at night.

I may be jinxing myself but, we've never lost an awning, either. Now, we have an automatic awning that has a wind/weight sensor that will pull the awning in if things get dicey (it works, too). Prior to the auto-awning, we always kept about a 4-5" tilt on our awning.

I can tell you from personal experience, that 80 mph cross winds while driving at about a max speed of 20 mph, will rip a closed locked and latched awning right off the side of your TT. It sucked, it left us on the side of I-80 in Oh in TORRENTIAL rain with me trying to remove the bent and twisted remains of ours so we could make it the rest of the way home!!! Our insurance paid for the new one, minus the dang deductible of course. :argh:

OK, in my snarkiest mode, That's what you get for going through OHIO.

Now back to seriousness. Sorry for your troubles. I guess I'm due for an awning problem in the future since I made light of your post.:mellow:

In all seriousness, Please let your awnings down or take them in when you might have the slightest suspicion that inclement weather may be approaching. I've seen too many people suffer the wrath of a summer storm in Florida. Winds can exceed 60 mph in one of our thunderstorms and I wouldn't want any one to suffer from it.

I love all our visitors and want you to have a nice trip.

Dang, where did that come from?