From WDW Magic...

[quote PHOTOS - Monorail Coral emerges from the paint shop after shedding its TRONorail skin

Jul 19, 2011

Monorail Coral looks close to being back to its old self after the removal of the TRONorail skin. The TRON wrapped version of monorail Coral debuted on the Epcot line back on Mar 19 2010, and operated until earlier this month. Monorail Coral is now being repainted to its original Coral designation, and can be seen in these photos in the monorail maintenance area where repainting work is carried out.

Monorail TRON photos

Photo by WDWMAGIC

Monorail_Thumb_13990.jpg?Expires=1311236262&Signature=fWHPbX6qGMolkbDiSInsYQG0vJ5jc8AzucIF9G6bdphz3HYNjrZmoNgOo6wD%7Et4V6GxXqVm0dYi48l7W5AdZOdKXqpXHMsT2JD6KGkvYiDqx4p-NFHZzfJA5aTxCpPMWEwArzLE1c7-4yhF3z4GQVidZX80nFUchy5DQlOrhVRU_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

Monorail_Thumb_13991.jpg?Expires=1311236263&Signature=fAfntiIeYsS%7ECMkA26CQQGUl4AGakg2V1aWvJTQJPLSSGc%7EgdzOE%7ELOsXPg5HEzDqJCSGZG1RS3dvu6iXGhQN0FbNshFeQMMhE-v8sL4pz-yDuPTlp8qrY60SXwIIv9Rj5HnWDjSVmdCRI9%7EXqDLTa9tPmgdOUSFKR2WGm-5yNc_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

Monorail_Thumb_13992.jpg?Expires=1311236263&Signature=auQJ9Q%7EgU-HcCx6uVOLjf1cX21ICg1C6-Tmgur9reL273pM1KwxhIPP9MDGlmQqrd9nDlxtgiZHHU8cHJHoXXFQp1cXbQJ0v%7Eq23rZCGWVXlAituzxnuwkt4TmBntVppbrWh45BBbFaNaHknYXYiTUBl4UkbQ2m72mr41nTFyrE_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

Monorail_Thumb_13993.jpg?Expires=1311236263&Signature=KTDUK4Xu4k1qvMeHH2MDzAmqxC%7Eu2TVxElH-1jU9M9PpvTTSKmyCAi1xzaFVulzA8T-cDQ05sojvunI97LXRn24HNpz9afVpzWQ9ka-gUNvDyN1JKYatlTnny4AezYTLLxlvolR115IiKVReZDCdVfVImWqpDzvNEJcJmC8QIZg_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ]

• 3 weeks later...

From WDW Magic...

New monorail maintenance spur ready for use and Coral returns to service

Aug 11, 2011

Monorail Coral is now back in service following the removal of the TRON graphics and repainting work. Secondly, the newly built spur extension to the monorail near the TTC is now open and has one of the monorail maintenance tractors positioned there. This new location to store the tractor allows a more rapid response to a monorail failure along the Epcot beam.

"This new location to store the tractor allows a more rapid response to a monorail failure along the Epcot beam."

Does anyone else have a problem with this logic?

Shouldn't they be preventing failure so that they don't have to respond to it?

We have a problem, Houston!

"This new location to store the tractor allows a more rapid response to a monorail failure along the Epcot beam."

Does anyone else have a problem with this logic?

Shouldn't they be preventing failure so that they don't have to respond to it?

My thought ran more to, "I've never been at WDW when the EPCOT monorail was down; I've NEVER been to WDW when the MK monorail wasn't down part of the time ... why do they need one for the EPCOT run when it's MK that's always the problem!"

why do they need one for the EPCOT run when it's MK that's always the problem!"

The MK MR is already covered when it breaks down.

To expand on their logic, are they going to put a tow truck on every road for when the buses break down. Oh wait, buses seldom break down. And when one does, they don't have to bring in a custom built and very expensive tractor to tow it.

Make the MR an attraction and stop using it as a viable means of transportation. It's not. It will increase it's life cycle.

And for those people that think that just because they stay at a MK resort, they have dibs on the MR, get over yourself.

I do know their logic - I did say my first thought was ...

Because Mom & Rita don't like the Monorails, it is a very rare thing for us to use them, so I would have no issue turning them into another ride like the Trains. IF Disney did so, that would upset the people staying at the "Monorail Resorts" - and make it hard for Disney to justify the Premium Rates they charge because they are "Monorail resorts". Do you really think Disney would drop the rates down to WL/AKL levels if the Monorail wasn't available "full time" for those resorts? They probably wouldn't - but I think it would be funny when the people staying there started complaining "full time" about the fact they were paying for the monorail service and not getting it - or better yet, just start staying at a different resort for less $$.

Todays rates at the 8 deluxe resorts are below.

I think you have to remove the GF from the discussion because you'd pay the most there no matter where it's located.

That leaves the Poly and CR. Of those 2, one is in the bottom 3 & one is in the top 3.

All things being equal, shouldn't the CR's rate be in the top 3 if the MR is a prime factor when arriving at the room rate?

You hear that quite a bit, the MR resorts are paying extra for the MR. That's true, however, some of that is offset because they use fewer buses.

I'm not convinced that because they wouldn't have to pay to use the MR, that you would see much of difference in the room rate. They either have to pay to use the MR or pay to use the buses. The difference between the two is what they would save in transportation costs.

For pure transportation efficiency from a MK resort to MK, the WL is the best and they don't use the MR. It's a 3 minute ride to MK and for reasons that I won't go into, it's dispatched much more frequently.

WL $275

AKL $290

CR $ 325

YC $360

BC $360

BW $370

POLY $410

GF $465

The MR is part of the equation - location, location, location is another. The latter is probably a major factor of the cost of the EPCOT/Studios resorts (SAB is worth something too!).

Even though Disney may not consider the MR one of the 'perks' of the MR Resorts, the people staying there do. Talking to the people that stay in them, always brings the MR up as a reason for staying there. Do away with the MR with little - if any - change in the cost, and I'm sure there's going to be a lot of

snow_white_the_7_dwarfs_grumpy_disney_poster-p228455890363401036vsu7_325.jpg

I was chatting with a CM that is a Contemporary Front Desk Concierge the other day, and he says the level of biotching since the monorail stopped service for late EMH is HUGE.

So yes, the monorail most definitely figures in folks decision to stay at one of those resorts.

Todays rates at the 8 deluxe resorts are below.

I think you have to remove the GF from the discussion because you'd pay the most there no matter where it's located.

That leaves the Poly and CR. Of those 2, one is in the bottom 3 & one is in the top 3.

All things being equal, shouldn't the CR's rate be in the top 3 if the MR is a prime factor when arriving at the room rate?

You hear that quite a bit, the MR resorts are paying extra for the MR. That's true, however, some of that is offset because they use fewer buses.

I'm not convinced that because they wouldn't have to pay to use the MR, that you would see much of difference in the room rate. They either have to pay to use the MR or pay to use the buses. The difference between the two is what they would save in transportation costs.

For pure transportation efficiency from a MK resort to MK, the WL is the best and they don't use the MR. It's a 3 minute ride to MK and for reasons that I won't go into, it's dispatched much more frequently.

WL $275

AKL $290

CR $ 325

YC $360

BC $360

BW $370

POLY $410

GF $465

I haven't checked Disney resort rates in a long long time and nearly fell off my chair to see what they are charging. I know the $80-100 per night for a pad of cement and rusty grill is high also, but I can't imagine having a "magical" vacation at well over $300 a night. IMHO, the CR is not all that anymore and definatly not at $325 a night. I feel so bad for a lot of people especially that live far away from Disney and have to save up sometimes for years to experience the "magic" at these rates. You would think in this economy people would rather stay off site and save a hell of alot. But, as many say here, Disney will continue to raise the rates if the demand is there, and yes people pay these rates like it a sale at big lots. What happende to the deals years ago when they would run a $109 dollar a night for Florida residents at the GF? We'll never see that again. Totally amazing how the American public and businesses reacts to hard times. I'm sure well over 50% of families that do the Whole experience of resorts, parkhoppers, restaurants, etc, just put it to a credit card and increase thier monthly payments. Totally depressing :(

I was chatting with a CM that is a Contemporary Front Desk Concierge the other day, and he says the level of biotching since the monorail stopped service for late EMH is HUGE.

So yes, the monorail most definitely figures in folks decision to stay at one of those resorts.

I don't work nights, so I don't know how it's working out, but I think it might be more of case where they would rather have the monorail and not that they're not getting to their resort in a timely manner.

I've heard it from guests when the MR is down and we have to put buses into service to cover it.

Quote, "I'm staying at one of the most expensive resorts on property and I have to ride a crowded bus."

As I'm taking them to MK as quick or maybe quicker than the MR would, I'm thinking & saying to myself, some uncomplimentary things.

Just wanted to throw one of my favorite pet peeves as a TA into the mix to support the theory that the monorail is viewed as a hotel amenity by the masses as opposed to a public mode of transport...

If you compare the amenities of the GF & BC/YC feature to feature, the BC/YC wins hands down, yet people still pay up to a third more depending upon season for GF. Why? My clients routinely cited the monorail as the deciding factor despite the fact that BC/YC's pool leaves those little GF wading areas in the dust & BC/YC is within walking distance/water taxi to, not just one, but two parks.

and on that note, we come to another of my pet peeves... if you're staying at CR why not take the sidewalk for pete's sake if the lines for MR is too long instead of standing there complaining for fifteen minutes in line at the end of the night... geez people it's only another 3 minutes or so from the bus loop... :huh: