New 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Merchandise Coming to Disney Parks

From the Disney Parks Blog...

New 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Merchandise Coming to Disney Parks

posted on July 25th, 2011 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

gre493232SMALL.jpg

I can vividly recall sitting inside the Nautilus during my first visit to Walt Disney World in July 1983. I remember hearing the echoes of Captain Nemo’s voice yelling, “Dive, dive!” as I embarked upon my journey through liquid space. The attraction quickly became one of my favorites; I even drew a picture for a book my mom and I made after that first trip. I’m happy to share that new Vinylmation and Disney pins celebrating this classic attraction are coming soon to Disney Parks. I spoke with Disney Design Group artist Caley Hicks about her work on the new Vinylmation figure set pictured above. During our conversation, I discovered she also had fond childhood memories of the attraction.

“When I was younger, I visited the Magic Kingdom each month with my dad,” explained Caley. “I loved the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction, particularly the mermaids. I was eager to design something for Vinylmation to pay tribute to the attraction.”

Caley, whom you may recall from Vinylmation – Flags fame, chose the iconic squid attack for the nine-inch figure. She explained the difficulty in capturing the details of the squid on the Vinylmation form.

tem483432SMALL.jpg

“I learned that getting the squid to wrap around the Mickey Mouse shaped form was more difficult than I first thought,” continued Caley. “I used countless sheets of tracing paper to get the image correct. The finished figure looks wonderful, so it was worth the effort.”

Caley shared the artwork for the deconstructed nine-inch figure. Wow! I wouldn’t even know where to begin as I can’t draw a straight line. This limited edition 1,000 set also has a 3-inch figure designed by Disney Artist Jason Zucker that resembles a diver. Look for it to be released via the Disney Parks Online Store only on Aug. 12, 2011.

dar493432SMALL.jpg

Since the introduction of Disney Pin Trading in 1999, the Disney Pin Team has featured 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on a variety of pins. One of my favorites was released in January 2005, and featured a piece of an actual porthole from the attraction ride vehicle. It was the first in a long line of the “Piece of Disney History” pins, and is still one of the most sought-after pins today.

pii594323SMALL.jpg

There are new pins on the horizon including two pins that will be released at The Florida Project in September. I think my favorite from the upcoming event is the cast member costume replica pin designed by Chris Chapman. It will be part of a boxed set of icon pins inspired by Fantasyland. The Classic “D” pin featuring the squid attack scene will be released on Oct. 27, at the Walt Disney World Resort.

By the way, I took the photograph above of the submarines as seen from the Skyway in 1983! I never imagined back then I’d be sharing it with you today. I would love to hear your memories from that great undersea voyage.

Another vote for WTFort is Vinylmation. I'd much rather see 20,000 League return - Japan has it WITH a mountain! No place for it a Magic Kingdom, anymore, but Animal Kingdom could have an updated version.

On that note, I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, also! And where's OUR Matterhorn!

I "get" what they are trying to do with Vinylmation. But, this one is a great example of how confusing this whole fad is. I have seen many Vinylmation figures that I absolutely cannot figure out. I don't think I would have got that this one was supposed to represent 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea unless someone told me. My DD's have purchased a few Vinylmations, but somebody must be buying a lot of them, because Disney does not seem to be willing to let this go.

The Disney Blog is an odd thing. It is odd how the bloggers glorify things that the Disney corporation simply neglected and abandoned. The fact of the matter is that the 20K attraction at WDW was abandoned and left to rot for years before anyone got around to do anything about it. Now, the same corporation hosts an official blog glorifying the attraction. Odd.

TCD

The fact of the matter is that the 20K attraction at WDW was abandoned and left to rot for years before anyone got around to do anything about it. Now, the same corporation hosts an official blog glorifying the attraction. Odd.

TCD

I was thinking the same thing.

I wrote a newspaper column for 20 years though and can tell you first hand how hard it is to keep coming up with new stuff to write about on a weekly basis. I figure on the slow days when there isn't anything fresh they're filling the contracted pages with crap and suceeding in hitting the "remember when" crowd...

...my other thought is that the older stuff is now totally fresh to a new generation of readers who never knew it existed at all.

Either way, when I see stuff like this, it always makes me wonder if the disney blog writers even have an editor who oversees content with an eye to the corporation's goals or if, like me some slow weeks, they're just filling space...

I "get" what they are trying to do with Vinylmation.

When you have some free time, you'll have to explain it to the rest of us.

Now, the same corporation hosts an official blog glorifying the attraction.

Maybe it would make more sense to celebrate the movie. I still like it.

The attraction was pretty neat at the time, but it could have been better.

The attraction was pretty neat at the time, but it could have been better.

You know, that's something I didn't consider. The kids of today's high-tech world wouldn't be nearly as impressed with the submarine that didn't actually go under water as I was 40 years ago. There'd have to be lots of special effects added to keep their attention, I bet.

Now the skyway, those are always cool wherever you are and they don't need to do anything more than let you swing your feet in the air while looking down. There aren't too many places you can relax & enjoy a ride on a skylift these days without having to freeze before you ski your way back down... brrrrr...