March trip report

We went on this trip with my husband’s parents. Throughout of year of annual passes, we took two trips with my parents and two trips with his. Bad news of this trip? The parents waited too long to give us an answer about going and we weren’t able to get a spot at the Fort. No matter how I played with the dates, nothing would show up. I had to bite the bullet and book a standard room at Pop Century. I should have booked a site and paid the deposit once we started talking about going but life got the best of me and it got pushed to the side. I learned my lesson!

Day 1- Friday, March 25 I do have to say I enjoyed the packing for this trip. Tent camping requires so much stuff; it can easily become overwhelming. We brought a duffle bag each, some snacks, and my mini fridge from work. We were able to drive DH’s car rather than my Jeep and save on gas! We left home at 4pm and with no stops, we arrived to check-in at 9pm. We were placed in the 50s section. We dropped our stuff off in the room and then walked back to the main building for a late dinner. I did enjoy the food court concept--plenty of options and reasonably priced. The parents arrive about an hour behind us and we turned in at 10:45pm.

DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

The room was clean and met our needs but it wasn't for us. "We miss the Fort" was said multiple times during this trip.

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Day 2- Saturday, March 26 We had an early morning to try and get to Epcot at rope drop. It’s easiest for us to make rope drop on the first morning. We got up at 7 and left by 8:30. Unfortunately we got turned around twice on the drive and it put us behind schedule. Once we were in, DH took our tickets to get Soarin’ fastpasses while we admired the entrance.

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

We met back up for Test Track, Mission Space, and then the Festival Center inside the retired Wonders of Life Pavilion. I remembered this some about this pavilion from my first WDW visit in 2000, like riding Body Wars.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

They've got to have a gift shop! I found many of these items leftover in July at the Disney Store at the International Dr outlet mall

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

We met back up for Test Track, Mission Space, and then the Festival Center inside the retired Wonders of Life Pavilion. I remembered this some about this pavilion from my first WDW visit in 2000, like riding Body Wars.

Thanks for sharing the photos from inside the WOL pavilion. I used to love Body Wars and Cranium Command!

Did you say the gift shop had leftover merchandise from an outlet mall? :blink:

Enjoying the report!

We went to Seasons for lunch before our Behind the Seeds tour. DH’s parents are avid gardeners and I knew they would enjoy the tour. I wasn’t expecting much (I can’t keep a plant alive) but I ended up enjoying myself. The tour lasted from 12:00-1:20 and was cheap---I think $15.30 each with our 15% passholder discount.

DSC_0105.jpg

The entrance for the tour

DSC_0106.jpg

They explained how they used "Biological Control"--certain bugs to control other bugs who destroy crops

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

This tree was from a Mickey's Mini Garden (seen in picture above). Our guide was great! She was interning for 6 months at The Land

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

We all guessed which pumpkin weighted the most. I think the far left was the largest.

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

The glass for the alligator tank was covered and was empty. I asked the guide about it and she said they remove the gators once they reach a certain age and start again with a new batch of babies.

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

We each got a handful of fish food and stood in a circle around the tank. We all threw in the food at the same time. Every fish inside jumped up and made some splashes.

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

After the tour, we used our Soarin’ fastpasses and then walked through the butterfly garden. The area was really crowded and hard to maneuver through the paths and strollers.

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

We then started our tour of the World Showcase. Mexico boat, America movie (I had a nice 30 minute nap), Voices of Liberty, France street show, UK comedy street show, and then back to The Land for ADR at The Garden Grill. I enjoy family style restaurants and the ability to request more of whatever you want. The dinner was fabulous. The characters were just an added bonus but we were there for the food. We requested seconds on salad and beef. We weren’t rushed through the meal and the restaurant made an entire rotation by the time we were finished.

DSC_0228.jpg

Look at these adorable strangers!

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

The train town has mini festival banners and TS3 figures. Love it!

DSC_0234.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

Promoting "African Cats"

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0262crop.jpg

It was now 7pm and we went to the Living Seas through the gift shop, Spaceship Earth, browsed Art of Disney store and Mouse Gears and watched Illuminations. At 9:30 we drove back to Pop and called it a day.

DSC_0281.jpg

Another great report!

I visited Epcot several times during this year's Flower and Garden festival, and never noticed the TS3 characters in the Germany train display.

Also, I love the photo of the strangers recreating the Lion King pose. That's a great idea for a photo. Too bad my kids are all too big for this now!

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!

TCD

Day 3- Sunday, March 27

I was the first one up and ready this morning at 9. I walked to the food court and had breakfast while others were getting ready. I took a mini tour of the resort and went back to round up the rest of the family.

The bowling pool in the 50s section

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

70s section

DSC_0300.jpg

Resort map and my feet

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

For the 4 value resorts, Pop is the only one with its own buses. The Allstars share buses between the 3 resorts.

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

The main pool behind Classic Hall (check-in, food, shopping, arcade)

DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

The bridge leading over the old Legendary Years area. It's now becoming the Art of Animation resort

DSC_0316.jpg

Nice new construction

DSC_0315.jpg

And then 10 year old abandoned buildings

DSC_0319.jpg

The buildings were right by the 50s parking lot. Bad eyesore!

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

At 10:45 we drove to MK. It was hard knowing I’d have to park, take the parking tram, and take a monorail to get to the park. We really appreciate the Fort MK boat and took it for granted until now.

I am headed for Pop in less than 48 hours and the timing on this TR is perfect. Like you said, it's not the Fort, but I could not convince the kids to go on another road trip from here in MA.

Have a wonderful trip! Wow a road trip from MA, you are brave! We complain about our 6 hour drive!

Another great report!

I visited Epcot several times during this year's Flower and Garden festival, and never noticed the TS3 characters in the Germany train display.

Also, I love the photo of the strangers recreating the Lion King pose. That's a great idea for a photo. Too bad my kids are all too big for this now!

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!

TCD

I've seen enough pics of the TCD girls to know they would be up for posing. I'm sure they would promise anything for a WDW trip!

Awesome, detailed report! I love that you included all the pictures of Pop! We had many good times staying at Pop Century, that's where my granddaughter and my Mama stayed for her first trip so it will always be special to me. I think they have one of the best food courts, but I have to get my food and go outside, it's loud.

Awesome, detailed report! I love that you included all the pictures of Pop! We had many good times staying at Pop Century, that's where my granddaughter and my Mama stayed for her first trip so it will always be special to me. I think they have one of the best food courts, but I have to get my food and go outside, it's loud.

Thanks :) Yep, you're right about the noise level. It was not designed to absorb sound, that's for sure! I was pleased with my meals from the food court. Our first night's dinner was a little blah but they were closing in 30 minutes and not making anything fresh.

Our first stop inside MK was first aid. DH had gotten stung while at the TTC. Some ointment and an ice pack later, we headed off for Splash fastpasses. The temperature was starting to heat up and the relief? Mickey bars! Pirates offered us some a/c and then it was lunch time.

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

We decided to take the boat to Wilderness Lodge for lunch at Whispering Canyon Café. Family style BBQ skillet? I’m all about that! We arrived at the tail end of the lunch hour and I’d like to attribute that to our less than stellar service. We hardly saw the waiter to ask for refills on drinks and food. We did enjoy the quality of food but the overall experience wasn’t wonderful enough that I feel compelled to return.

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

After lunch, we toured the MK resorts. We boarded the boat to Contemporary and monorail to Poly, GF, and MK. It was the first time his parents had visited these resorts and I go any chance I have.

This was as close to the Fort we got this trip. We were a sad couple of Fort lovers cry.gif

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

Look how fancy I am...Myspace bathroom pic in the Grand Floridan! (I don't have a myspace but ya know :rofl2:)

DSC_0387.jpg

Back inside MK we went to Monsters Inc where my Father-in-law was “That Guy”! He has the perfect personality for this role and was excited to wear his sticker for the rest of the day. He got lots of attention from guests and CMs.

We jumped on the People Mover, Indy Speedway, Buzz and then DH got attacked by an ECV. We were walking to the bathrooms near Space Mountain and an old woman was driving behind us while watching the dance party by the stage. I guess the music got her excited because she accelerated and ran into his leg. He tripped and she glared at us as if we got into her way. I felt bad for him—two accidents in a day at the happiest place on Earth.

DSC_0395.jpg

207378_1778949986492_1021664595_1945506_2181693_n.jpg

We took a break and had a snack before starting back up for the evening. We rode Teacups, Philarmagic, Small World, Haunted Mansion, dinner at Harbour House, 10pm Wishes and castle show, Splash, Big Thunder, Pooh, Space Mountain, Pirates and then the long trek to the car at 1:30am. Very long day!

DSC_0402.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0413.jpg

Future Beauty and the Beast area

DSC_0415.jpg

Hidden Mickey, anyone?

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0439.jpg

DSC_0441.jpg

Back inside MK we went to Monsters Inc where my Father-in-law was “That Guy”! He has the perfect personality for this role and was excited to wear his sticker for the rest of the day. He got lots of attention from guests and CMs.

That's great! Good for your FIL!

Thanks for the Philharmagic HM photo. I see the HM there in the tuba. I never noticed that one!

TCD

I promise I haven't forgotten about this! It's been hard adjusting back to the work schedule and I'm behind on many things. Let's finish this up!

Day 4- Monday, March 28

We woke up this morning to rain! We took advantage of the rain and rested in the room for some time.

Iphone220.jpg

Around 11:45am and after constant thunderstorms, we decided to forgo a park and spend the day at DTD. Sadly, the rain continued all day. We had lunch at Pizza Hut near DTD, dinner at Cracker Barrel and dessert at Dippin’ Dots.

Some of my purchases at DTD

Iphone222.jpg

Iphone184.jpg

Iphone226.jpg

Iphone227.jpg

Day 5- Tuesday, March 29 We woke up at 7:30 and spent about two hours getting ready, breakfast the food court, and packing the car. We headed to the Studios this morning and we weren’t feeling it. We only rode RnRC singles and Backlot tour. I did purchase this shirt though. I spotted it in February but held off.

208640_1778952866564_1021664595_1945516_2955886_n.jpg

We drove over to DTD and had lunch at Earl and at 2pm, we headed up the depressing drive north on I-4.

Back to GA and came home to this

Iphone230.jpg

She's probably thinking "You can't leave me again if you can't get your suitcase!"

I borrowed a friend's DSLR camera for this trip. I didn't want to use it in bad weather and that's the reason for the limited pictures for the last two days. I did use it to take pictures of some prints I had of trips I took growing up.

My first Fort visit in 2000. I didn't go to WDW until 7th grade. My kids will be trained early and probably have an AP at the age of 3.

DSC_00162.jpg

The Pooh gang are my favorite characters. These are from dinner at the Crystal Palace.

DSC_00082.jpg

DSC_00212.jpg

DSC_00112.jpg

DSC_00052.jpg

And that's all we have for March! I have 2 more reports to catch up on but not sure when I will have a chance. Thank you for following along!