She'll smile if you say "poopy sh^t"

I love reading this TR. One day I hope to visit (would love to be able to actually volunteer) at GKTW. Are you going to post any pictures of the Castle of Miracles? If so could you give me a bit of notice so that I can grab a tissue. I know some children who have stars there. :heart:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to that! :rofl2:

Now THAT is magical! :fairydust:

I'm finally getting caught up only to find out it's nearly over!? Nooooo!!!!!

This has been a great TR! Looking forward to the next update.

Don't worry Kim, we only have one day left, but we jammed all kinds of fun into it. And at the rate I'm going, it will take me 4 or 5 more posts to get it all in! LOL

After chatting with you the other night, I realized I had started to read your TR awhile ago. So, I had to go back and reread and finish reading. What a great TR. Your kids are adorable and it looks like you had so much fun. There were so many awww and teary eyed moments. I'm excited for you guys to go back again next year and do another TR so I can see how big the kids have gotten!

It was nice meeting you in chat the other night. Thanks for reading along. They are so big already. I didn't even realize that by the time we go next year, Wil is going to be the "adult" price!! Yikes!

I love reading this TR. One day I hope to visit (would love to be able to actually volunteer) at GKTW. Are you going to post any pictures of the Castle of Miracles? If so could you give me a bit of notice so that I can grab a tissue. I know some children who have stars there. :heart:

Thank you! And I'm sure GKTW would love to have you as a volunteer! I'll have to go back thru and see what other pics I have of the Castle.

Next time you're at the Fort, and if you want, I'll take you over to the village and give you a guided tour.

So sweet of you as always Lou!

This was amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Any recent pics of your kids?

Thanks for joining in!! Here's some pics from this summer of my darlings!

kids1.jpg

alitude.jpg

wil.jpg

kids2.jpg

family.jpg

:bravo:

Poppy Shirt!

:heart: Thanks Ed. ;)

Today is Ali's 7th Birthday!! :parrot: :parrot: :banana: :parrot: :parrot:

Hard to believe! So in honor of her big day (and in between trying to get her cake made and the house cleaned) I figured I'd better get another chapter of our TR done.

So, early morning, last day. :'(

We pack up and head to check out. During checkout at GKTW, they gave us our cd of pictures and a list of all the corporate sponsors who donate things to help GKTW run. There's lots of big names on there besides the obvious. There's all the little things like the food they put in the fridge for when we get there and stuff you don't even realize. It's a big list. Makes my heart swell.

Then they present us with a World Passport (I think that's what it was called. Lou correct me if I'm wrong). This little gem entitled our family to free day admission to a whole list of amusement parks all over the US for one year from our trip! Again, I was speechless. How amazing. Alot of the parks on the list weren't too close to us, but we did get to Cedar Point and Hershey Park that following year and made use of the passport. What a wonderful gift. And I just thought it was so wonderful that all these parks were willing to do this. Brings a tear to my eye even now.

So we got all our goodies and bid GKTW a very fond farewell. It was really hard to leave. Families who stay at GKTW are always invited to come back and spend a day and visit their star. We are planning a day into our next trip to just go and hang out at GKTW.

But we had to get moving cause we had reservations for the Supercalifragilistic Breakfast at the Grand Floridian!!!

Yes, this is the same place we went for dinner with Cinderella, but I had heard good things about the breakfast too, so that's where we were going.

We had to stop and get pics taken by the life sized Gingerbread House in the lobby

100_4511.jpg

100_4509.jpg

So beautiful!!!

This breakfast has Alice and the Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins, and Tigger and Pooh. There was good character interaction. I never felt like we were rushed. The Mad Hatter stole the show. He had it down pat. He made us all laugh.

100_4504.jpg

100_4503.jpg

100_4500.jpg

100_4508.jpg

100_4499.jpg

Mom and Casey had joined us for this final breakfast. We enjoyed it and I think we used up the rest of my mom and sister's DDP credits on this somehow. I probably wouldn't do another breakfast only because my kids are not big breakfast eaters (unless it's breakfast for dinner). Usually in the morning, all they want is cereal. But it was a nice breakfast...lots of choices and lots of fun. They had a nice selection of fresh fruit. I remember this because they had humungous strawberries and Wil decided to see if he could get a whole one in his mouth.

He did.

100_4505.jpg

After we were done, we headed back over to Downtown Disney to finish up a little shopping until it was time for mom and Casey to head back to POR and catch the Magic Express back to the airport. They had a much earlier flight than we did.

It was a beautiful day (although apparently I don't have any pics from it) and my kids finally discovered the spitting Stitch on the front of World of Disney. We bought some final mementos and then said goodbye to my mom and Casey.

For us, though, the adventure was only begining!

:bday: to Ali :partythree:

Thanks!!

Thanks for posting updated photos of your kids.

They are adorable!

It's good to know that this story has a happy ending.

And, Happy Birthday to Ali!

TCD

Thank you! I agree (about the adorable and the happy ending.) :heart:

Make sure you let me know when you plan to visit so I can be there.

You better believe it! :heart: Although our trip isn't planned until Sept/Oct 2012, but you will be among the first to know!

Ok, home stretch.

We bid farewell to my mom and Casey and then we ventured off to Sea World!

Originally, we weren't even going to try to make it to Sea World. Our flight back was supposed to be in the afternoon. But then I found a flight from MCO back to Pittsburgh that left at 8 pm and we were able to switch flights so that we could have most of the day still in Florida.

Back in the day, there used to be a Sea World somewhere in Ohio that I remember going to as a kid. Now they are all so far from us. I'm not sure when my kids would get another chance to visit Sea World, so off we went!

Sea World has a thing where guests can go feed the dolphins. As part of the MAW/GKTW admission, we got to go do it for free. We got to go to the head of the line and I figured each kid would get a free dish of fish to give to the dolphins. When we got in and got the instructions, they also gave DH and I each our own dish of fish for free as well.

This was awesome! Now, I have to say, I have always been and I am raising my kids to be, huge animal lovers. DH likes animals, but I think it is safe to say he wouldn't have quite the number or variety of pets that we do if it weren't for me. He calls me Snow White, because not only do I love animals, they seem to love me too. So any chance to get up close and personal with any kind of creature is a huge thrill.

DOLPHINS.jpg

100_4516.jpg

100_4525.jpg

100_4522.jpg

100_4518.jpg

100_4515.jpg

100_4521.jpg

100_4519.jpg

The dolphins swim by and you hold out your fish and they come up and take it. And you can pet them. It's so neat. Who doesn't love dolphins? The only trouble with this whole thing is that there are hungry sea gulls flying around and if you are not careful with your fish...they will dive bomb you and grab it! But even that was funny to the kids.

The whole thing was really nice. It was fun to do. I'm not sure what the cost is normally, but it was a really neat thing for the kids to experience. And me too! :dance:

Next we found Shamoo. Is that how you spell Shamoo?

100_4543.jpg

Then some photo ops of the kids

100_4535.jpg

100_4539.jpg

100_4538.jpg

We decided to ride Journey to Atlantis. Wil and Ali were too short for most of the rides and we only really had a few hours till we had to be at the airport. Wil was tall enough for JtA, but Ali was not. Which royally ticked her off. I felt bad, but I distracted her while DH took Wil on. Then they got off and Wil wanted to ride with me too. Ok, I'm game. The lines were not bad, even without the magic button. So we were on and off in no time.

Then we went over to see the big Believe show. I wanted to sit in the splash zone, but seeing as how we were on our way to the airport in a couple of hours, we didn't think that was the best idea. So we sat up high. I can't seem to find any pics of the show.

This is the only one I can locate.

100_4528.jpg

The whole time the show was going on, there was a big white bird (a crane maybe? I'm not really sure) that kept trying to steal the fish they keep in the big containers to bribe the whales. Wil was fascinated by this stupid bird. I'm not even sure if he saw the whales. If you ask him what the Believe show is about, he'll probably tell you it's about a big, hungry, white bird. Truly. He laughed at the bird the whole time.

It was a nice show. The whales are amazing.

After that, we were pretty much done.

We drove back to the airport and gave back the rental van. We found our gate. And then we waited. And waited. I remember waiting in multiple lines and then getting ready to board...only to be told they were going to switch planes because there was a mechanical problem with the one we were supposed to be getting on.

I hate flying. Hate it. So I guess I should have been glad that they found the mechanical problem BEFORE the put us in the air, but it freaked me out. Obviously, we made it home just fine, but at the time, I was NOT a happy camper.

Flying home I sat between my two kids and Vaughn sat across the aisle from us. The kids were out cold before we even taxied down the runway. I would doze off and then wake up with a start and think we were crashing. I was never so glad to see Pittsburgh and 30 degree weather in my life!

This trip was humbling and awe inspiring from beginning to end. It's not just the fact that GKTW and Disney and the other resorts are there and allow us to be there free of any charge, it's the people. The other families, the volunteers, the kids themselves...and those stars. It's the people at those big companies that make the decision to donate to GKTW. It's the people who took time and money to make clothing for my kids without ever having met them. It's the people who graciously step out of the way so that my kids could get to the front of the line. And the people on here, who read along with a TR from almost 3 years ago and now know more about what a wonderful place GKTW is and what they do for families like mine. My family is so lucky...Ali will get to go to Disney World again. I know that others are not as lucky and I count my blessings everyday.

And that's it. All in all, a wonderful trip. Beyond wonderful. A lasting, loving memory for my kids to enjoy. Their first trip to the World and my mom's last. It was my favorite trip...till the next time.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for reading along. This was fun!

It is awesome that your kids have such a good relationship. They seem closer than any 2 kids i have ever seen.

Thanks! My sister and I were raised to be very close and that's how I try to raise Wil and Ali. They do have their moments (don't we all? :rofl2: ) but all in all, they really get along wonderfully. They always look out for each other and they play together really well. It makes my heart happy. :heart:

Next we found Shamoo. Is that how you spell Shamoo?

100_4543.jpg

It's Shamu.

Shamoo sounds like a cow maybe?

This trip was humbling and awe inspiring from beginning to end. It's not just the fact that GKTW and Disney and the other resorts are there and allow us to be there free of any charge, it's the people. The other families, the volunteers, the kids themselves...and those stars. It's the people at those big companies that make the decision to donate to GKTW. It's the people who took time and money to make clothing for my kids without ever having met them. It's the people who graciously step out of the way so that my kids could get to the front of the line. And the people on here, who read along with a TR from almost 3 years ago and now know more about what a wonderful place GKTW is and what they do for families like mine. My family is so lucky...Ali will get to go to Disney World again. I know that others are not as lucky and I count my blessings everyday.

Boy- that is a profound paragraph!

Thanks for taking the time to share your personal experience with GKTW.

I have heard great things about GKTW, but hearing great things from someone who personally experienced it means a lot.

We all get asked to help with charities.

It is good to know that this is one that really helps people.

I am glad to hear that your daughter is doing well.

All of us need a reminder from time to time that none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.

Thanks! My sister and I were raised to be very close and that's how I try to raise Wil and Ali. They do have their moments (don't we all? :rofl2: ) but all in all, they really get along wonderfully. They always look out for each other and they play together really well. It makes my heart happy. :heart:

I am very impressed with Wil.

What a great big brother he seems to be!

You are doing a great job raising them both.

Keep up the good work.

TCD

It's Shamu.

Shamoo sounds like a cow maybe?

Boy- that is a profound paragraph!

Thanks for taking the time to share your personal experience with GKTW.

I have heard great things about GKTW, but hearing great things from someone who personally experienced it means a lot.

We all get asked to help with charities.

It is good to know that this is one that really helps people.

I am glad to hear that your daughter is doing well.

All of us need a reminder from time to time that none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow.

I am very impressed with Wil.

What a great big brother he seems to be!

You are doing a great job raising them both.

Keep up the good work.

TCD

Thank you very much. It's a profound feeling. The whole experience is hard to put into words.

And thank you in regards to Wil. He is a remarkable little guy. He is always looking out for her and trying to do little things to make her happy without anyone ever telling him to. He is everything a big brother should be. :heart:

And I thank everyone who tagged along on my trip down memory lane. It was fun to put it all down somewhere. And I'm glad that somewhere was here.

:)) :heart:

I'm finally caught up!! Coming home from a vacation is so much work >:(

That was a great trip report! I hope you come down again soon. The kids have changed so much from this report, to the recent pics you posted. They went from looking like babies to children. They grow too fast.

It warms my heart to hear that Ali is doing well. :heart:

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. Hope to get another report from you soon.

I'm finally caught up!! Coming home from a vacation is so much work >:(

That was a great trip report! I hope you come down again soon. The kids have changed so much from this report, to the recent pics you posted. They went from looking like babies to children. They grow too fast.

It warms my heart to hear that Ali is doing well. :heart:

Thanks for sharing this experience with us. Hope to get another report from you soon.

Thanks Stef!

I'm on board for your trip report too!!

Ali is doing extremely well! She's been seizure free for almost 3 years now (knock on wood)!! :dance:

They grow in the blink of an eye. We're planning our next trip down for Sept/Oct 2012. My kids' first time staying on Disney property is going to be at the Fort!! I can't wait!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

• 2 weeks later...

You have all seen how much Give Kids the World benefits people - not just fiends. Now I am asking each of you to give a little ...

Should you all need a way to work off the extra goodies you will be consuming you could sign up to do this on November 5th. Maybe even set up a Fort Fiends team?

http://www.gingerbreadrun.org/

I'm game to do a 5K - solo or part of a team. They ask for supporters to raise $ for either solo or a team. Registration is limited, so I need a quick response if I can get it ...

I'll support you and will spread the word to my local friends here that you are participating. Just let me know what you decide and send me a PM link with the information.

I'm doing the Gingerbread 5K to support Give Kids the World! Please support the organization! My fundraiser page!

You have all seen how much Give Kids the World benefits people - not just fiends. Now I am asking each of you to give a little ...

Oh my goodness Ed! This is WONDERFUL!! God bless you. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I posted the link to your fundraising page on my Facebook and I will support you as well!

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...