Has anyone ever camped overnight at Wal Mart??

Hi all,

I searched to see if this topic was already on here but didn't see it, so sorry if this has been discussed.

Curious if anyone has ever stayed overnight at a Wal Mart parking lot before? I hear they let RVers park overnight?

Here is our dilemma.......we have to go to NE GA for a wedding 10/1. Apparently our family was all under the assumption we could haul the camper up there - despite the high gas prices -- so they all have offered their homes to other family. That leaves us w/ getting a hotel or bringing the trailer. It appears the area they are in, we would need 2 rooms because they have a limit of 4 people. So w/ that and food - towing comes out cheaper.

Yesterday we reserved a campsite at Tallulah Gorge State Park for a few nights. Figured if we go through the hassle of taking the trailer, we might as well stay and do some sight seeing. We are trying to avoid taking Friday, the day before the wedding, off. DH is using most of his vacation days next week when we head to Ft. Wilderness for 8 nights. So we were thinking of driving from Tampa to about Tifton, GA Friday evening and staying either at a Wal Mart or a Georgia Rest Area. Has anyone done either of these?? Any thoughts? Then we would finish the trip Saturday morning - getting to Tallulah Gorge around noon. The wedding is at 3 somewhere right near the Gorge.

Thanks for any input....just didn't plan this trip and trying to be as budget friendly as possible. The Fort is getting all of our money next week and at Thanksgiving and I refuse to give up either of those trips just for this wedding!!!

Yes we have overnighted several times in Walmart parking lots. I actually have a Rand McNally atlas that I bought from Walmart that lists the stores that allow camping. We still go in and talk to the manager on duty and tell them we are staying there and we make a purchase of some kind. Dinner items or sometimes things we forgot to pack.

We don't do it often but it has come in handy when we travel late and can't find a campsite :banana:

We have stayed over night at Wal Mart's also and had no problems at all.

We even stayed at the one in Jacksonville Fla. 2 years a go and they had signs throwout the parking lot saying no overnight parking, but we just pulled up next to the other campers a long side the Wal Mart store and wasn't bothered at all.

You should be fine.

We usually spend one night of our trip down/back to WDW in a WalMart parking lot.

Just be careful - they're not all equally great in terms of access, lighting and security. We've never had a problem but some folks have. We always park out of the way and in a lighted area. I've been told good etiquette is to not actually "set up camp" but I have seen people parked with their slides out and generators running.

Also, even though WalMart as a company has an open arms policy to RVers, there are some places where you aren't allowed to stay overnight because of county/city ordinances. The area around WDW is a good example of where no overnight camping is allowed in WalMart parking lots.

There are some books out there that list those allowed/not - just make sure if you get one it's the most recent edition as things can change frequently. Also, even if the book says it's ok, be sure to check for signs in the parking lot when you pull in.

Last thing you want is to have security knocking on your door at 3am.

We've never tried a GA rest area - not sure if they're posted for no camping or not?? (a lot of rest areas are) Maybe someone else here will know.

There are some Yahoo groups that are specific to overnighting at Wal-Mart and try to keep an updated list of which one allow camping. I think if the local popo dosen't enforce the codes, then Wal-Mart won't have a problem. But once again, I don't want that 0300 knock on the door.

Another option, is Flying J or Pilots. But those can be crap shoots too.

Good Luck!

:dance:

WalMart/Sam's Club is a part of our trip from Illinois to the Fort. DH found an app for Iphone/Ipad from MalMart that lists places that allow overnight stops. MHs don't put jacks down, TTs & 5rs don't put stabs out.

We have stayed at the rest area in Georgia without any problem. If there aren't any campers/motorhomes there, we usually camp along side the tractor trailors. We stayed in the rest area in Florida also without any problems. Our experience with WalMart has been mixed. We have stayed in Florida without a problem and we have stayed in Florida and got a knock on the door telling us to move. It's probably the luck of the draw. If you have a security guard that really enforces the law, then you will be asked to move.

Do you feel safe? It's usually just me and the kiddos, and what sounds great during daylight, sitting at home, sometimes gives me the heebie jeebies when it's dark and someone -- even the popo -- is knocking at the door! (Obviously, I haven't done it, and probably won't, even though we take plenty of security measures, but in a pinch I can see me considering it.)

Do you feel safe? It's usually just me and the kiddos, and what sounds great during daylight, sitting at home, sometimes gives me the heebie jeebies when it's dark and someone -- even the popo -- is knocking at the door! (Obviously, I haven't done it, and probably won't, even though we take plenty of security measures, but in a pinch I can see me considering it.)

To be honest Kate, no I didn't but with the dogs barking at every little noise that might have been my problem :blink: We try to plan our trips down so that we know where we are staying every night but in a pinch Walmart works. We just make sure we park in an area that is well lighted.

Hijack Alert:

Doodle can I borrow one of your dogs? My youngest who travels with us, 55#s, is worthless for security. The only thing she barks at is the food bowl and her shadow....

Not that I want a dog annoying people, but I would like to come back to a camper with my items still there. I understand if the otters get to the outside cooler.

:rolleyes:

End Hijack.

Hijack Alert:

Doodle can I borrow one of your dogs? My youngest who travels with us, 55#s, is worthless for security. The only thing she barks at is the food bowl and her shadow....

Not that I want a dog annoying people, but I would like to come back to a camper with my items still there. I understand if the otters get to the outside cooler.

:rolleyes:

End Hijack.

See, and people thought chihuahuas were only lap warmers. I always know if someone is close to the house. Of course the someone usually lives in the house :rofl2: Oh and just so you know I use a bark control device when I am camping. Quiet dogs make for happy neighbors :banana:

See, and people thought chihuahuas were only lap warmers. I always know if someone is close to the house. Of course the someone usually lives in the house :rofl2: Oh and just so you know I use a bark control device when I am camping. Quiet dogs make for happy neighbors :banana:

You should start a "rent a tacodog" business. Think of the retirement funds......

I didn't mean to imply you wouldn't be a good neighbor, how loud can a chihuahua be? More concerned about my ankle being bit.... :rofl2:

I had a chihuahua for 17 years ... don't understimate them! That was the most ferocious dog I've ever had. Even the great danes didn't compare.

Back to original question, have you considered staying at a Cracker Barrel? We've done that several times recently. Just ask the manager for permission. Usually have several other RVing neighbors with us. Not so much noise and traffic as walmart.

You should start a "rent a tacodog" business. Think of the retirement funds......

I didn't mean to imply you wouldn't be a good neighbor, how loud can a chihuahua be? More concerned about my ankle being bit.... :rofl2:

seriously I have two with barks that are like fingernails on a chalk board. At home I can say no barking and they stop, camping there is just too much new stuff to get excited about. The dog barker works great. They hate it and it usually only has to be turned on once or twice and they get the message. You don't have to worry about your ankles Genia, they are more likely to kiss your face off :rofl2:

Wow, everyone --- thanks for the replies!

I only considered the Georgia rest areas because the Better RVing magazine that Lazydays produces said Georgia permitted it but I haven't been able to verify that.....and I wasn't sure which I felt safer at....a Wal Mart or a rest area...either way I would make sure we stayed well enough south of Atlanta :) I'll also look at Flying J's & Cracker Barrel. Didn't know about Cracker Barrel.

We do have a dog that will be with us, she barks at everything - especially since it would be really quiet w/ a/c or heat running! She is a Scottish Terrier who thinks she bigger and meaner than she is.

Thanks for the tip on not setting up camp too. I didn't plan too but I hadn't thought about the slide. We can move in our trailer w/ the slide closed - so we could just keep it closed and hitched to the truck so were ready to go!!

Now, any of you who travel through GA going to/from the fort...can you recommend a good well lit rest area/Walmart/Flying J/etc? Thanks!!!

Rt. 95 is about 112 miles thru Ga, I think I would try to make it to the first rest area at the Fla. boarder. They have free orange juice and there usually a 5.0 patrolling it at night.

I had a chihuahua for 17 years ... don't understimate them! That was the most ferocious dog I've ever had. Even the great danes didn't compare.

Back to original question, have you considered staying at a Cracker Barrel? We've done that several times recently. Just ask the manager for permission. Usually have several other RVing neighbors with us. Not so much noise and traffic as walmart.

We have stayed at Cracker Barrel too. We go in and have dinner and then ask permission to stay overnight. In the morning we get up, go in and have breakfast. It's a win win situation :banana:

We've never had luck finding a Cracker Barrel that allowed overnight parking along 95.

We've never felt unsafe at a WalMart - the ones we stop at tend to be busy all night and usually there are at least a few other RVs parked there as well.

We pulled into one in VA last year at about 4am and got in line behind 6 or 7 other assorted RVs

But then again we're traveling with dogs too who will bark their fool heads off if they hear anyone futzing around outside the TT.

ETA - just saw my new tag

:rofl2:

We've never had luck finding a Cracker Barrel that allowed overnight parking along 95.

We've never felt unsafe at a WalMart - the ones we stop at tend to be busy all night and usually there are at least a few other RVs parked there as well.

We pulled into one in VA last year at about 4am and got in line behind 6 or 7 other assorted RVs

But then again we're traveling with dogs too who will bark their fool heads off if they hear anyone futzing around outside the TT.

ETA - just saw my new tag

:rofl2:

My secret is out. I am a chicken :rofl2: The new tag is great :rofl2:

WalMart/Sam's Club is a part of our trip from Illinois to the Fort. DH found an app for Iphone/Ipad from MalMart that lists places that allow overnight stops. MHs don't put jacks down, TTs & 5rs don't put stabs out.

PLEASE NOTE: DW found the app; DH, that's me, can't even find the right keys on the puter!!

seriously I have two with barks that are like fingernails on a chalk board. At home I can say no barking and they stop, camping there is just too much new stuff to get excited about. The dog barker works great. They hate it and it usually only has to be turned on once or twice and they get the message. You don't have to worry about your ankles Genia, they are more likely to kiss your face off :rofl2:

What is the dog barker?????

We've overnighted at Wally Worlds, Cracker Barrel, interstate rest areas, closed auto parts stores....really just wherever I feel like pulling over will usually do.

BTW, there is a really nice welcome area (non rest area) in Perry, GA. It's near the ag fairgrounds and Cracker Barrel. They have a nice RV dump station too. We always stop here on the way to the Fort.