DH insisted on setting a date to leave Maine to head to Florida...he actually had his sights on leaving September 25, but I didn't want to wait that long, so we leave on September 18th.

After reading lots of posts and buying a new surge protector, GPS and new MIFI and phones, I believe we will be all set...oh yeah, DH did fix the toilet leak, good thing he did or it would have been lots of $$$ to have it done as it was the parts were not cheap.

Next purchase is a foam topper for the bed...he still wants to get a memory foam mattress but we shall see after we try this.

All I know is that our first stop once we hit Florida will be Fort Wilderness but as we are not sure when we will arrive, will wait to make ressies when we approach the state line and make our decision then.

We hope to check out a lot of options on where to stay for 6 months...as first timers it will take some getting used to a different lifestyle, and the idea that we won't be shoveling snow!!! Bring it on!!

Nancy

If Florida is anything like Texas (and I think it is, only more so) then you need to make reservations somewhere for the winter. We've had friends who went to Florida during the winter months, without a reservation, and they could not find a place to stay. I don't want to be a downer, but staying in Florida during the winter is like trying to get reservations at Fort Wilderness during any major holiday. Florida residents, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nana,

That is why we are leaving before October...we really haven't seen all the places that we want to to make sure that we rent in an area that we know that we will like and need to spend a few days checking these places out that we "think" we will like. Still looking for any more input...so far Mount Olive Shores, LeLynn, and a few others...

Right now I think the reason that the hurricane is coming to the Northeast is to prepare us for the future...

Nancy