I know you can rent boats of all kinds at FW, but, if I were to bring my own personal boat (we are talking kyak), would I be able to use it at FW? I have never seen or heard anything regarding this topic before. We were walking around bass pro shop the other day and got to talking about buying a kyak. I then started wondering if we could use said kyak at FW. Anyone know?

I won't swear to this, but it seems there was a post concerning this just a short while back and it was stated that no personal watercraft are allowed at the WDW. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this will chime in to either support this or correct me.

Thats what I figured, but had to ask. Guess Im stuck paying Disney prices to enjoy a nice boat ride.....

It's really not too bad. TCD can vouch that it's like 8 bucks and they don't set a stopwatch on you. They include the lifevests as well.

It's really not too bad. TCD can vouch that it's like 8 bucks and they don't set a stopwatch on you. They include the lifevests as well.

Yes, the canoes and kayaks rent for $8 a half-hour (if you want to be precise, it's $6.50 plus 12.5% tax- which is $7.32). They are pretty generous with the half-hour.

It will come as no surprise to many of you that I have scoured the old Gazette and the new Directory of Services looking for anything in print that says you can't use your own watercraft in the Fort's canal system. I have not found that rule in writing in either of those publications.

However, the rule can be found in, of all places, the new Golf Cart rules document (which makes perfect sense if you are familiar with the way Fort Wilderness is managed). You can see the rule right there in the last bullet point which tells you no skateboards ,etc. It must be really important since they have made it so prominent. Also, I don't think I have ever been at the Fort where I haven't seen kids on skateboards. So, if they don't enforce the no skateboard rule, will they enforce the no personal watercraft rule?

newfwgolfcartrulesp2001.jpg

There was another thread on this topic recently. I will repeat what I said there. I have seen people use their own kayaks at the Fort. I saw it done earlier this year by some folks who had a site on the 500 loop that backed up to the canal there. They just put in right behind their site, and stayed away from the Bike Barn. No one said a thing. On a visit a year or so back, I saw folks with personal kayaks beached behind their site on the 1300 loop. I never saw them use the kayaks, but they were right there behind their site along the canal bank.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...

I would not call a canoe or a kayak a "personal watercraft" by any stretch of the imagination personally. I mean come on. With that terminology an inner tube is a personal watercraft. I would call them "flotation devices".

A "personal watercraft" to me is a Wave Runner/Jet Ski type watercraft so if I were a kayak kind of person I would go for it. If you get caught then tell them it is a "flotation device".

As it's Disney's ball & ball park, I suspect they will be using their definition of watercraft.

You can certainly try to use your own kayak.

After this thread was started, I did ask for clarification.

While it's not in writing and only comes from a security CM, and you know what that means, not the brightest bulbs, Disney doesn't want anything floating on their waterways that is not approved by Disney to be on their waterways.

It's not only about the money though, I know that's hard to believe, but it's also a safety and liability issue.

If security, a ranger, or an idiot manager does see you and if they realize that it's your own kayak, I'm almost 100% sure they'll want to chat with you about using your own floatation device.