Stopping for the night at Wal-Mart - have you done it ?

We'll be taking the BIG travel trailer for the first time and will be stopping along the way before checking into Fort Wilderness. Have you ever stayed in a Wal-mart parking lot overnight ? I've heard that it's fine with the management across the nation and even welcomed. Do you know if there are restrictions or requirements to park there ? Is it safe ? Other than not having hook- ups, are there any disadvantages to doing this ? Any advice you could give is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Mitzi

We used to stop at Walmart but don't anymore. There are a lot of Walmart that welcome you but our stop was usually in Kentucky and several of them have posted no overnight parking.

We have several campgrounds now that we know are in range of where we want to stop.

We have also stopped at Cracker Barrel. They let you park in the RV spaces. We always stop in time for dinner and then go in for breakfast before we leave. Cracker Barrel is much quieter than Walmart.

It works out ok in a pinch but I would rather be in a campground and be hooked up for the night.

A few years ago a Wally World employee was abducted and murdered while leaving work. The perps were later caught. How? Well, the abduction was captured on Wally World's security cameras, however no police were called at the time of the abduction. Now, if Wally World won't do anything to protect their employees, what do you think the chances are of them calling the police if they see someone breaking into your trailer in their lot? I don't even like to shop at the place, there is no way I would stay in their parking lot.

Before the Wally World campers all flame me, here is a link to the website for the girl I was talking about. Do yourself a favor and read her story and the others on the site.

http://meganlholden.com/walmart.php

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/21/national/main668416.shtml

We have. You need to check with the Wal-Mart you wish to overnight at. Some towns/cities have ordinances against this. You need to make sure it's in a good part of town as well. We are not fans since our experience. The one we decided to stay in had about 30 RVs of all types, one of which actually said beware of the snake, and there were more than a few people sleeping in their cars too. We found it a bit difficult to sleep with all the noise.....

We do this all the time on our way to/from the Fort. But not all WalMart's allow this. Some don't because of town/county laws - this is true in much of the area close to WDW. After pulling off very late only to find some posted with signs for no camping, we now call ahead to confirm before we stop.

We always park in well lit areas and lock up everything (incl. ourselves in the TT). We travel I95 there are usually at least a few other campers there - sometimes a bunch. Most of the ones we've stopped at are in Virginia - as that's pretty much the halfway point for us.

We've also pulled of at some Pilot truck stops, but those can sometimes be noisy.

I haven't read the article Jim posted yet (I will) but we have never had any sort of a problem in the past 6 years. Maybe we've just been lucky??

We have also used the FL rest areas along 95 north of Daytona to stop for the night. We've asked the posted security officer if it was ok and they said it's fine to "rest" overnight - but don't put out your awning and setup up camp.

My DD had this on her bucket list when she was 12 and we were on our trip out West in April 2010. She got her wish. The state of Arizona kicked everyone off I-40 because of a huge windstorm with gusts up to 75 mph. Everyone stayed in the Walmart parking lot. There wasn't a space left to park by 11 pm. My daughter forgot to wish this for her birthday because that's when we stayed overnight at the Winslow, AZ Walmart. Instead of waking up at the Grand Canyon and seeing the sunrise for her birthday we woke up to 300 18 wheelers starting their engines racing to get back on I-40!

Luckily my family can sleep through anything, both DH and DD had a good night's sleep while I sat up and worried that we would be blown over any minute all night long. We still have red dirt in our MH today from the windstorm that we can't get out.

Wow... thank you all so much for your advice and words of wisdom. Security is a big priority with me so I am leaning towards just pulling in to a campground. It's not the money so much as just the hassle that can sometimes accompany setting up in the dark and maneuvering with this big rig that we're not so familiar with, yet.

We've read about the campground near the FL line called the In and Out on this board. It seems easy and convenient. Any other ideas ?

Thanks!

The In & Out is our stop in Florida every trip. It.s nothing fancy but is conveniently located. There are several restaurants and a Walmart at this exit and only a minute or two from the campground.

There are also a few permanent residents here so if that bothers you you may not like it here. They have all been very friendly though.

The In part is definitely easier than the Out depending on the day or time of day you leave. If traffic is heavy though we just turn right and go to Walmart and stock up there first . Leaving from Walmart is a lot easier than trying to make a left out of the In & Out.

If you decide on a campground, we like Eagles Roost in Lake Park, GA, about 5 miles from the FL border. We've pulled in their late at night and had no issues. Easy, pull through sites.

We used to do the Walmart thing occassionally, but I never slept well. Too much noise and light in the parking lot. And that was when we had a MH. If zombies attacked during the night, I figured in the worst case if need be I could fire up the engine and drive away without going outside. Can't do that with a trailer, which I have now.

"Most" of the campgrounds right off the interstate have easy to get into pull through sites. Their bread and butter is folks just stopping for the night.

I usually stop at one of those, and the only setup I do is plug in the electric. I stay hitched up. No more work than that. I keep a head lamp in my glove box so I can see to pull out the electric cord.

A few years ago a Wally World employee was abducted and murdered while leaving work. The perps were later caught. How? Well, the abduction was captured on Wally World's security cameras, however no police were called at the time of the abduction. Now, if Wally World won't do anything to protect their employees, what do you think the chances are of them calling the police if they see someone breaking into your trailer in their lot? I don't even like to shop at the place, there is no way I would stay in their parking lot.

Many, many years ago, I was dating a guy that worked 3rd shift stocking at Wal-Mart, and this was in the days before 24 hours super stores, so they were locked in. Somebody was goosing through the parking lot and ran into his truck and left. He saw the whole thing from inside the store. Called the police, and they came out right then, but left when no one came out of the store. Once the doors were unlocked he called again, but by then it was waaay too late to even try and find the person.