Merry Snickerdoodle and Happy Dole Whip! A TR Full of Christmas Joy!

Well....here I go. My attempt at a trip report (pray for me).

Let me begin by taking you back in time just a little bit. This trip was booked and paid for on August 20, 2010. That was the day that the 2011 calendar opened completely. I learned the hard way that you have to book Christmas at the Fort WAY in advance (as I tried for 09 and 10 and messed that up royally because I didn't book in enough time).

You know that feeling EVERY time you go on vacation - "I've never needed a vacation THIS bad before"? Well, I can tell you with 110% certainty that I have said that every time we take a vacation. I never knew how true it was until about 2 days into this trip.

We had already been to WDW 3 times in 2011. Yes, 3 times. We had the December 2011 trip booked then my in-laws asked us right after we returned from our September 2010 trip if we wanted to go back in February. OF COURSE WE DID! So we bought annual passes since we had at least 2 full weeks on the books. The week in February was great! Then we went for a surprise weekend in March (literally...at 11:30am on Friday morning we decided to go for the weekend). We stayed one night at All Star Sports that weekend. Then we went again in September 2011 - if you've got AP's, WHY NOT?!?! We stayed at Pop Century and took advantage of free dining for the first time. Dining plan was great - it certainly had it's pro's and con's - but the hotel stay is something I can officially say "been there, done that" (well, that is until we win the lottery, then we are going to stay at the Grand Floridian at least one time). We just love the Fort. We love the camping community. Most of all we like the peacefulness you get when you return from being visually, audibly, and every other sense stimulated all day. There's just something about the Fort...you all know what I mean.

Back to my statement about needing this vacation desperately - 2011 was the suckiest year of my life. You may ask, "how is that possible given you had 4 trips to Disney?!?!" Well, trust me - it absolutely was a year that I was happy to close the book on. It started out HORRIBLE, continued to get worse....then started getting better....then my boss resigned...then our Sept trip came, I got sick with the flu with 2 days left on our trip....then things got better....then on November 6, my 47 year old brother passed away VERY unexpectedly. I wasn't sure that going on this trip was the right thing to do, I didn't think it was right to leave my dad here, by himself on the first Christmas without his son. But he wouldn't go with us - so it was a difficult decision but I think we made the right choice.

All of that being said, this trip was JUST what I needed to bring a very demoralizing, depressing and roller coaster year to an end. Little did I know, I was in for a trip that would exceed any and all expectations.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weds, 12/14

I end up at urgent care!!! I could not believe my luck. After getting sick there in Sept, I could not believe I was going back to WDW ill again. The good news is, I got medication so I knew it would just be a matter of time before I felt better...I just hoped it would be soon.

Fri, 12/16

Leave work at 1, get to Maddie's school at 2. They don't get out until 2:30...so I sit and wait. And wait. Finally, the bell rings. She comes to the car and we head out to Hubs' office to jump in the car and vamanos. By 4:15, we are on 285 headed to 75 to head north. Those of you that live in this area or are familiar with this area know that traffic SUCKS, especially on a Friday, DOUBLY ESPECIALLY on the Friday before a holiday week. God must have been having pity on us because while traffic did slow in it's usual places, we didn't stop, get stuck, lose any significant amount of time. It was awesome!

We stopped for dinner just south of Macon, GA and then get right back at it. At 9pm, we arrive at Eagle's Roost RV Park in Lake Park, GA for the night - our usual stopping place.

I recommend this campground. It's a nice resort. There is spanish moss hanging from the trees, most of which are pecan trees and drop nuts on your camper - makes for an interesting sound. :)

We are all exhausted, so sleep comes easy despite the excitement.

Now Holly.. you are supposed to let me comment on the first installment before moving on to the next one. Tsk Tsk. Just kidding.

Urgent care? Oh no! Now you're trip is really starting to sound like one of ours.

I'm glad God had pity on you. When He does that things seem to start looking up. :)

Ok.. now I am ready for more.... again. ;D

Sorry, Kim...you know I am a rookie at this and don't quite know the rules. But even if I knew the rules I WOULD NOT FOLLOW THEM! Haha.

Thanks Rita.....there aren't any words to describe what we've been through with this loss. It's just devastating. And to be honest, joining here when I did - so soon after that - was a tremendous help. Reading threads here just made me smile. Pretty awesome.

I'm in! Sorry about your year. I hope 2012 is better for you. :heartsmiley:

I guess if you have to be sick, what better place to do it than WDW?

Is there really gonna be snickerdoodles here? I love snickerdoodles! :jumpforjoy

Sat, 12/17

Up and at'em! We are up, full bellied, packed away and on the road at 9am (typical for us). We stopped just south of Ocala for lunch around 11:30 or so...then it's an easy hour down the turnpike/129 to WDW. I will say this...by the time we get home from any Disney trip, I am SO tired of Arby's that I could spit! Haha.

We pull onto Disney property....drive under THAT sign....and it's ON!

Welcome.jpg

I am officially in vacation mode at that point. Too bad I can't breathe and am going through Kleenex faster than anyone should have to.

We pull up to the FW gate at about 1:15 and I think "aaaaahhhhhhh yes! It just gets better from here....."

NOT.SO.FAST.

The check in bays were 3 campers deep and just as we are about to pick a lane, we get waived over to one with NO CAMPER IN LINE! Yes!

We are talking to a very nice CM who is checking us in....I ask her if our fax request for the 500 loop was received, she says it was not but it shouldn't be a problem. Shouldn't be....HUMPF! We'll see about that!

Yes, I do know that feeling of "I've never needed a vacation THIS bad before". I know it well.

Are we soul sisters or something? 2011 has been a rough one for us too! Glad to see it go. Hope the door didn't hit it in the butt on the way out.

Kim, I think we may be! :)

Holly I am so sorry for your loss, but you made the right choice. The Fort can cure anything. AND THE FIENDS will make you laugh and cry all in the same post. So glad you found us. Looking forward to reading more, and can't wait to meet you.

Sat, Sept 17 cont'd

So, we arrive at check in around 1:15...told "plenty" of availability in 500, but since it's so close to check in, our site isn't available yet (not typical for us). CM calls and has our site "expedited" and says it should be no time at all before she can tell us what site we're in. She asks us to pull forward, takes my cell # so we can be texted when it's ready. At 2:06, Hubs has had enough! He gets out and goes to speak to someone inside, who just happened to be the manager. A couple of minutes later, I get the text that we are assigned to site 542. At the same time, Hubs comes out and says the manager assigns us to 556...but tells Hubs we can circle the loop and choose which site we prefer, just to call him back and let him know. He gives Hubs a direct line to him. We circle 500. We can tell instantly that 542 is an awesome site but were at a bad angle to pull in...so we loop to get a better shot AND to check out site 556. This is what makes me think that the folks that assign campsites don't have prior experience in this type of work OR don't understand that you can't fit a 36 foot camper into a site that appears to only be 25 feet. Just sayin'.

During our initial tour through 500, we come across a nice fellow camper who has parked her Explorer sideways at the end of her driveway.....just past the comfort station, in that relatively tight turn. Hubs isn't sure he can navigate her truck being half way in the road, with the tight turn, and not drag our truck or camper across her truck. She just happens to pass by as we are working our way through, looks at us and LAUGHS, and says "do you need me to move the truck...haha" to which Hubs replies "only if it's valuable to you". LMAO. This is an issue at the Fort that gripes me - if your car doesn't fit, park it in overflow! Don't be so self consumed that you make it difficult for others to make their way through without causing damage to your equipment or ours! Yes, the Disney magic left us momentarily, but you know that doesn't occur for too long.

We get back around, back into our site, and begin the GLORIOUS process of setting up camp at FW. I love this process. At any other campground....I don't enjoy it. Haha.

Side note.....you know how everyone has "THAT THING" that tells them that they are at Disney? For some folks it's driving under the sign. For others, it's their first glimpse of the castle. For me. it's hearing the MK ferry horn for the first time. Well.....I heard the horn and at that point, nothing else mattered to me. :)

Decorating the camper for Christmas is FUN! I'm gonna have to figure out how I can do that every year.

ChristmasCamper121711.jpg

We get all set up. Our normal arrival day routine is as follows:

check in, set up

go to playground/dog park OR pool

grill dinner

campfire singalong

beddie-by-time

We decided that despite the fact that I didn't feel too good, we were going to grill dinner and then head to Hollywood Studios as we were all about to have a fit as we wanted to see the Osborne Lights. (another side bar - 3 Christmas seasons of watching the Samantha Brown Disney Holiday show will tell you EXACTLY what you consider a "must do". This was one of those!). So we start working on dinner. I am on the phone with my dad inside the camper and as we're hanging up, I hear Hubs speaking to someone outside. We didn't have neighbors yet so I walked out as I thought maybe he was talking to me. I step out and he is talking to a man, he turns to me and says "I think you may know him". And....it was Lou! I was so thrilled to meet a Fiend! Hubs and I talked to Lou for quite some time and really enjoyed getting to know him. More than that, however, I did fall in love with Buddy, his dog. We learned that Lou and his family used to live close to us here in GA, and that his kids still live in the area. Maddie came outside at some point and I introduced her to Lou and Buddy, who she immediately determined had to be HER Buddy! Haha.

MGBBuddy1.jpg

Meeting Lou was awesome. Then....a really cool thing happened.....Lou said "do you know what it means to be spiked" and I told him I had read a couple of things about it. He gave us the background, then presented us with a spike of our very own! I felt so official. Thanks again, Lou, for stopping by and being so freakin' awesome.

We then ate dinner and went back inside to get ready to go see some dancing lights. To say I was excited....well, that doesn't adequately describe how I felt.

Edited by FtWildernessFamily...Holly

I'm in! Sorry about your year. I hope 2012 is better for you. :heartsmiley:

I guess if you have to be sick, what better place to do it than WDW?

Is there really gonna be snickerdoodles here? I love snickerdoodles! :jumpforjoy

yes, there are snickerdoodles! lots of them. :)

I always wanted a sister. :heart:

We,, now you've got one!

Wonderful start to your trip report!!!!!

Thanks Carol!!

I'm in Holly.I could really use a snickerdoodle and dole whip about now! Sorry your year was so rough, I hope the New Year ROCKS!!

Me too...the thought of a dole whip makes me think of evil things.....(in a good way, of course). This year will be AWESOME.

Holly I am so sorry for your loss, but you made the right choice. The Fort can cure anything. AND THE FIENDS will make you laugh and cry all in the same post. So glad you found us. Looking forward to reading more, and can't wait to meet you.

Thanks Lorna! We will meet one day, soon too.....I can't wait either!

Holly, sorry for your loss. Glad you decided to allow yourself a bit of magic at the end of such a yucky year.

Snicker...doodles....Mmmmmm!!

Thanks Deb!!!

We all have that moment that we "lose the magic" for a moment or two but then..... we have that moment, just like you said, when something wonderful reminds us WE ARE HERE!!!

I love your camper Christmas decorations. Especially that cute patootie tree! Good job! Also a great first day itinerary!

One more thing, yes Lou is great and you are certainly "official".

Ok two more things, Your daughter is beautiful.