From Touring Plans. Couldn't resist posting this for Lou, but please weigh in with your thoughts on the advantages (disadvantages?) of driving around WDW.

10 Reasons to Drive at Walt Disney World

by Brian McNichols on January 18, 2012 9 Comments

A few months ago I made the argument that you should be using Walt Disney World buses to get around the park. Well, like any well respected writer (or minor blogger, but who’s keeping track) I am bound by my journalistic integrity to present both sides of any argument fairly and without bias (okay, maybe a little bias). Therefore I now present to you the 10 reasons to rent a car at Walt Disney World:

10. Your own music – I love some of the music that is played on the buses (jazz on the way to Port Orleans comes to mind). I do not love other music (Mmmm…Bop on the way to Pop Century comes immediately and painfully to mind). With a rental car and an easily made compact disc, you can make your own mix of great tracks to get you into the Disney mood.

I will warn against using old music or you might have the unfortunate experience of driving into Epcot listening to the original complete “One Little Spark.” You may then realize that the attraction is no longer like that and spend the next 20 minutes crying in your car…or not.

9. No more of those darn multi-stopping Disney’s Magical Express buses– Don’t get me wrong, I love the Magical Express service as do my kids. I do not enjoy stopping at 4 other resorts before getting to mine and it makes me insane (well, more so) when we drive right past my resort to go all the way to Animal Kingdom Lodge to drop off one family. Driving from the airport eliminates all of that.

8. You really get to know your way around – Okay this one may not be a selling point. I find Disney’s road signage to be…fickle. The signs are mostly good, but you may see the Wilderness Lodge listed on one sign on the south side of the property and then not mentioned again until you are practically on top of it. It definitely helps to know the general direction and nearest theme park to your destination and, believe me, you will learn all of that when you get lost the first few times.

7. Groceries – In my opinion having a case of water and an assortment of snacks is a necessity. In my wife’s opinion, the baby needs diapers (I say if the horse gets to go on Main Street so should my son). Getting all of these is easier and cheaper with a car.

6. Not a people person? – Perfect because you don’t have to deal with anyone but those in your car (although that may be worse). I enjoy people, but even I get tired of dealing with crowds after a long day in the parks. Sometimes the last thing I feel like doing is packing onto a bus (not to mention how few people would “raise their hand if they’re Sure”).

5. Expanded food options – There are a whole bunch of great restaurants on Walt Disney World property, and there are also a bunch of mediocre ones. One thing that both of those categories have in common is that they are expensive. Having a car allows you to go off property to try some restaurants that may be a little more reasonable (stress the word ‘may’).

4. Storage – This is actually one of my favorite things about having a car and something that I think people overlook. It’s a great place to keep a jacket, extra socks, band aids, snacks, or your kids (oops, I mean not your kids, that would be terrible…unless you crack a window…).

3. Resort hopping – If you have never seen some of the Walt Disney World resorts, do yourself a favor and go visit them. I have never stayed in many of the resorts that are offered, yet I have visited them all either to eat, drink, or just wander around.

One of the problem with resort hopping is that it is awkward to travel from resort to resort using Disney transportation. Buses, for instance, do not run from resort to resort. Therefore having a car is the fastest and easiest way to see all these beautiful places.

2. Speed (and your relative need for it) – Speaking of fast, speed is my number 2 reason for driving. Not that I’m recommending you go all Ricky Bobby and start treating World Drive as a drag strip, but it usually ends up being faster to drive.

And my number one reason…

1. No missing rope drop for you – You can go ahead and ignore the other nine reasons (Ha! Gotcha, you already read them…sucker). This is the biggie, and the big reason that I really like having a car. I have fought and suffered through waking my family up early and been sitting at the bus stop at 8:15am only to sit there for 35 minutes waiting for the bus. I then usually have to restrain my language as we arrive at the Magic Kingdom at 9:05am. With a car, that doesn’t happen.

So, that’s my list. If you’re curious as to whether I prefer riding the bus or having a car, well that depends. I currently have two children in car seats, which means that we have to bring or rent seats along with a car, which adds cost, time, and aggravation to the trip. Therefore, with my family, I prefer the buses. If I’m sans-children on a trip, I prefer the car just for the speed and convenience. Personally, I think either option has some good to it (10 reasons one might say).

Thanks for reading!

http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/01/18/driving-disney-world/

While I agree with most of his points, I don't agree with #10 below.

I absolutely hate the POR music. You won't hear it on my bus. I prefer, by far, the Pop Century music and you will hear it as we head for Pop.

The Forts music is just as bad as POR so you won't hear it either.

10. Your own music – I love some of the music that is played on the buses (jazz on the way to Port Orleans comes to mind). I do not love other music (Mmmm…Bop on the way to Pop Century comes immediately and painfully to mind). With a rental car and an easily made compact disc, you can make your own mix of great tracks to get you into the Disney mood.

They forgot 1 and it's an important 1 GERMS . Those things are germ factories on wheels(sorry Lou). We used to ride the bus every trip and every trip one or all of us would come down with some nasty illness. Now we don't ride the bus and we don't get sick, coincidence maybe but I'm a believer. Don't worry Lou we all still :heart: you germs and all.

They forgot 1 and it's an important 1 GERMS . Those things are germ factories on wheels(sorry Lou). We used to ride the bus every trip and every trip one or all of us would come down with some nasty illness. Now we don't ride the bus and we don't get sick, coincidence maybe but I'm a believer. Don't worry Lou we all still :heart: you germs and all.

Thanks for the love CM26 but I'm going to disagree with you.

Just based on the shear number of people that sit in the seats on the rides, wouldn't you say that you'd be more likely to run into germs there?

A typical bus seat will get used once every 20 minutes at the busiest times which is only four hours. A busy ride seat will have a different person siting in it about once every 10 minutes, but for many more hours.

But Lou, it's an enclosed space, you may say. True, but it does have a climate control system that's exhausting the air on a continuous bases. Hence, why it's always freezing on the buses.

If your theory was correct, I would catch colds all the time? I can't remember the last time I had one.

Also, buses get washed inside and out every day. I don't think the rides or the monorails do.

When it comes to germs at WDW my best advice is DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!

Railings, door handles.... prime germ collection sites.

And of course anything on the bus that anyone before you would have touched.

We usually go around opening doors with our elbows and if we can't avoid hanging onto railings, I keep a little bottle of hand sanitizer in my bag.

We also probably wash our hands more at WDW than any other time.

I agree with you Lou! Way more people on the rides than the bus. However I can't tell you how many times I've seen some kid licking the poles on the bus :dropjaw: and they're not my kids doing the licking :laugh: . But for whatever reason we stopped getting sick when we started driving and not using the buss.

I agree with you Monique! We touch nothing! I've been known to take the paper towels from the bathroom and use them to open the doors on the way out so I don't touch the doors. There's nothing worse than hugging the porcelain throne on vacation.

Perhaps you don't get colds for the same reason I don't, Lou. I am exposed to so much crap in the course of a day I am immune to almost everything.

Perhaps you don't get colds for the same reason I don't, Lou. I am exposed to so much crap in the course of a day I am immune to almost everything.

I wondered the same thing. Is that a possibilty?

I estimate that I've been in the enclosed metal tube for about 15 minutes with about 250,000 people since I began. Has everything been thrown at me that it doesn't matter anymore?

It drives my wife crazy, she gets colds and I don't.