• 2 months later...

That had to have been cool to see. I wonder if they had to remove the MK Train tracks to get the riverboat out the canal to the lagoon?

This shows the river, and the connection north of BTMRR to the canal which connects to the lagoon. It looks like they would have to remove the train trestle there, and maybe the bridge on Caribbean Way? Anyone know if this is true?

riverboat%2520canal.jpg

That had to have been cool to see. I wonder if they had to remove the MK Train tracks to get the riverboat out the canal to the lagoon?

This shows the river, and the connection north of BTMRR to the canal which connects to the lagoon. It looks like they would have to remove the train trestle there, and maybe the bridge on Caribbean Way? Anyone know if this is true?

I have heard that the train trestle is on a pivot, so they can just turn the whole thing to allow the boat to exit Rivers of America. Here is a closer look at the trestle- it looks like the whole thing can pivot. If you look, the pivot point is not in the middle of the canal, I assume this is to allow the boat to pass by, although it looks like it would be kind of narrow to me:

MKtrainbridge.jpg

The bridge on Caribbean way looks like it's a drawbridge- you can see a definite line there on the left where it meets the pavement. I assume that the structures on either side are built to fold back along the canal banks to allow the boat to pass:

MKdrawbridge.jpg

The people who built Disney World were pretty smart. I am sure they made a way to get the boat in and out without requiring major work.

TCD

The people who built Disney World were pretty smart. I am sure they made a way to get the boat in and out without requiring major work.

TCD

I have no doubt that you are correct. However, the people that have been running Disney World over the past 30 years haven't always displayed the same intellect as Walt and his colleagues. I wouldn't have been shocked if they had constructed something which blocked river access, thinking "that boat will never need to be moved". Likewise, I wouldn't have been surprised if something had gone awry when moving the boat. Not like that's ever happened before. (cough cough *poor Admiral Joe Fowler*)

I have no doubt that you are correct. However, the people that have been running Disney World over the past 30 years haven't always displayed the same intellect as Walt and his colleagues. I wouldn't have been shocked if they had constructed something which blocked river access, thinking "that boat will never need to be moved". Likewise, I wouldn't have been surprised if something had gone awry when moving the boat. Not like that's ever happened before. (cough cough *poor Admiral Joe Fowler*)

I do not disagree with you. Note, I said the people who built Disney World were smart. I do not have the same opinion of the people who have run it since.

TCD

Any management team that made the decision to get rid of steak fries cannot be trusted to move a large boat through a small canal.

True!

If Walt Disney was in a grave, he would roll over in it if he ever found out that they got rid of the steak fries at Trail's End!

When they finally unfreeze his head, somebody's going to be in big trouble!

TCD

the people that have been running Disney World over the past 30 years haven't always displayed the same intellect as Walt and his colleagues.

I said the people who built Disney World were smart. I do not have the same opinion of the people who have run it since.

Hey Laurel and Hardy, Walt was no engineering genius.

If it wasn't for Roy, who BTW should get most of the credit for what the Disney company has become, Walt would have been drawing stick figures somewhere.

You do know that he didn't even come up with Mickey?

His mistakes and follies are too numerous to mention here.

Hey Laurel and Hardy, Walt was no engineering genius.

If it wasn't for Roy, who BTW should get most of the credit for what the Disney company has become, Walt would have been drawing stick figures somewhere.

You do know that he didn't even come up with Mickey?

His mistakes and follies are too numerous to mention here.

Blasphemer!

And, BTW, I said the people who built WDW were smart. Sadly, Walt was already a human popsicle by then.

And I stand by that- when you think about what they got done from the time they bought the land until they opened the doors in 1971, it is truly an amazing feat.

And who the Fort are Laurel and Hardy?

Probably some type of funny guys popular back in your time?

TCD

• 4 weeks later...

The Liberty Square Riverboat's refurbishment is complete and it will be returning from dry dock to the Magic Kingdom the night of Thursday, May 17. Once again the riverboat will move through Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon, back into the Rivers of America. This is planned to take place late at night and shouldn't affect the EWP.

In order for the move to take place, Magic Kingdom Park gate 3 will be closed from 11pm Thursday, May 17 through 8am Friday, May 18.

• 2 weeks later...

From WDW Magic...

Liberty Square Riverboat closing for refurbishment in August

May 29, 2012

The Liberty Square Riverboat is scheduled to be closed a brief refurbishment starting August 4 through to August 10, re-opening on August 11 2012.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Liberty-Square-Riverboat/News/29May2012-Liberty-Square-Riverboat-closing-for-refurbishment-in-August.htm