Day trip to DeSoto State Park

We were going to camp all weekend at DSP, but with low temps approaching the single digits and highs only near freezing, I knew the wife and kids would just be holed up inside the camper all weekend. So today I loaded up the mountain bike and headed out. I had been checking out the mtn bike trails on facebook and the official website, and I was anxious to ride.

Luckily, DSP is just under an hour from the house. I rolled up to the campground store about 12:30. I was a balmy 32 deg on my truck's thermometer. After picking up a map, I made my way up the road past the CG to the trailhead (hiking and biking). There were two nice rigs leaving out of the CG as I passed by.

I got geared up at the trailhead and decided to hit the "family" loop first as a warmup. This loop is pretty easy, but small kids would have trouble. It was 2.5 miles around and back to the trailhead. There is also a trail leading to the old CCC quarry from the family loop, but I decided to save that one for later. This trail was pretty muddy in spots and frozen solid in others. I rode through a bunch of 3" high ice crystals that had formed in the dry night air. They looked pretty cool, but made for some slick going.

Next up I hit the "never neverland" loop. This loop was pretty bad arse. It started off rocky, rooty, and technical with several stream crossings, narrow bridges, and mud. After this creek crossing

IMAG0034.jpg

and a short climb

IMAG0030.jpg

I found out why they named it "never neverland". BTW, that little creek was rolling pretty good. I stopped there for a bit to catch my breath and enjoy the scenery. It's quite pretty back in there.

So just up the trail the terrain changed quite a bit. I was in a nice hardwood and spruce forest. The ground was nearly completely covered in some kind of native evergreen grass. It looked like something out of a movie. I enjoyed it so much that I forgot to take a pic.

Here is the bypass just before it....whoever takes the bypass is missing out on the best part of the loop.

IMAG0035.jpg

After transitioning into a predominately hardwood forest and down a nice little curvy descent I was back into the heavy spruces. The wildflowers were in full bloom.

IMAG0036.jpg

I finished out the loop and hit a little 1 mile trail that led to the CG. It was a bit steeper and more technical, but way fun. As I approached the CG I spooked about 20 deer that were grazing around the back sites.

I popped out of the woods and onto the CG upper loop road and did a little looping. The sites at DSP are, for the most part, HUGE with nice extra wide gravel pads behind the asphalt drive. They also have some "buddy" sites. These are pull through's and you can park with the curb sides facing each other....I wish more CG had these.

By now it was late afternoon, and there were only 2 campers plus the host in the CG. There were more deer than people. I decided to call it a day after cruising the CG.

If the weather is a bit warmer we will probably camp there next weekend....hopefully.

Any fiends that happen to be in the area should check out this state park and CG...it is very nice.

Nice little report!

Thanks for posting it.

No problem.

This is the park with the waterfalls, right?

Yep. The namesake DeSoto Falls is a big. There are numerous small wet weather falls in the park too.

It was weird seeing those flowers blooming when everything else looks like winter.

I don't know what they are called, but they bloom at the first hint of warmer weather. I have a few blooming on my property.

I'm sorry the weather didn't cooperate with your camping trip, but it looks like your trail ride was a success!

It was good little ride

TCD

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like a wonderful trail. I'm absolutely itching to get back out for some mtn biking (although I feel like I should probably hit the treadmill a bit first to get back in better shape to keep up with my guys). I've been really wanting to try Kathryn Abby Hanna Park for some camping/biking, too.