From the Disney Food Blog. Nice to see some new things popping up! (pun intended)n Love to hear from someone that has tried these...

Review: Spicy Chicken and Cheddar Poppers at Epcot’s Refreshment Port

Feb 17th, 2012 by AJ.

Every once in a while I find another Disney junk food item that I can NOT resist. This is what happened on a chilly December day at Epcot’s Refreshment Port!

I had been wanting to try the Spicy Chicken and Cheddar Poppers here for quite some time, but I was always too full from eating other things by the time I got here (that’s the problem with a dining location in the middle of Epcot; I’ve already eaten too much from every angle by the time I get there!).

However, this time I was researching for our upcoming Disney Food Blog Mini-Guide to Epcot Snacks, and new I had more than just one reason to try these!

Refreshment-Port-Menu-500x293.jpg

Menu - click image for larger version

While the cost is a bit high on these, you do get quite a bit of food. This can easily replace a counter service meal in most cases.

So I stepped up to the counter and ordered my poppers. And while it took a little longer than I expected, it was WELL worth the wait.

Chicken-and-Cheddar-Poppers-with-Fries-500x333.jpg

Chicken and Cheddar Poppers with Fries

Now, you guys know that I love my hoity toity food as much as the next girl, and I count the days until I can go back to Victoria & Albert’s and Napa Rose. But oh-sweet-Heaven did I love these things, which would likely be qualified as junk food by most.

I’m telling you, my ideal day at Epcot now includes BOTH the chips and queso at La Cava del Tequila and these spicy chicken and cheddar poppers. What can I say? I like my spicy freezer-to-fryer goodies! (Also, I’m on a giant diet right now, which means not-so-healthy food is looking better and better…)

Anyway, the poppers are very spicy due to relatively large chunks of jalapeno embedded in the gooey cheese. Let me qualify this by saying that I eat so much Buffalo Wing sauce on a daily basis that I’m pretty sure I have the stuff running through my veins half the time, so my taste buds are tuned to capsaicin. But the spice is definitely worth it.

Popper-Close-Up-500x333.jpg

Popper Close-Up

I like the addition of the chicken and cheddar here as well, instead of just a standard cream cheese jalapeno popper. The structure of the snack is good, and the flavors are excellent together. The creaminess of the cheese is excellent, and look at the size of those pepper chunks!

Popper-Cross-Section-500x333.jpg

Popper Cross-Section

Yep — these are certainly on the list as one of my favorite snacks in Epcot at the moment. And while I’m not sure how long they’ll last (the Refreshment Port has been through about three different menus in the past year or two), this will be one of my first stops from now on instead of one of my last.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/02/17/review-spicy-chicken-and-cheddar-poppers-at-epcots-refreshment-port/

Chicken balls and a margarita from Mexico! :jumpforjoy

Sounds like the perfect day to me!

We had these on our last trip we liked them. The fried shrimp they sell there is pretty good to for fast food.

Good to know - thanks! It seems it's hard to find anything "small" to eat at a counter service that isn't a burger or hot dogs. Love seeing new choices.

I wasn't sure where the Refreshment Port was.

The article has a link to some information about it.

It's the little stand that sits outside and to the left as you face the Mexico pavilion.

It used to serve Mexican food. Now it serves chicken sandwiches, fried shrimp and chicken balls.

Weird.

TCD

We had them at the little booth beside Canada. called refreshment port

epcot20center.jpg

We had them at the little booth beside Canada. called refreshment port

epcot20center.jpg

Jeez- I guess I need to read more carefully.

This is what that link says:

Located closest to the Canada Pavilion in EPCOT’s World Showcase, the Refreshment Port menu offers a variety of empanadas, tostones, and plantains. There is no formal seating area or coverage from inclement weather but the menu at Refreshment Port allows guests to enjoy Latin finger foods ‘on the go’ so you can stroll and eat.

So, you are right, TJ, this is close to Canada, not Mexico. All the talk about "Latin finger foods" threw me off. I think there must be a mistake in what is posted on that link.

Looking at the photo, I believe this is the place that used to serve McDonalds nuggets and fries. Does anyone remember that?

TCD