Anybody ever had insurance total their rv?

ruh-oh! ya got me... when choosing a dealer the only consideration should be proximity to pie. :rofl2:

and FTR there are two other rv dealers a little further down 15 but Beckley's is the biggest and has always been very good. We even drive up occassionally just to walk thru the lot on nice days... LOL and of course hit the pie buffet on the way home.

We're newbies on this repair stuff though as DH was always able to do everything himself before. We never even wandered across the road to the service dept before as parts are right inside the showroom building. Looking at that many people, with their travel journals & warranty info out, spending what seems like a lot of money and not even getting a new rv out of the deal is somehow intimidating for me. Woe is me... we don't even own a travel journal.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update today is that adjuster ok'd repairs to $4500. That covers the visible stuff they can see now. This leaves me more anxious than driving down i-95 thru DC & VA pulling the TH behind us without Jack's punch. :1sm056pullhair:

From what I could gather, after they fix the visible stuff, then they'll test it by putting water/power to it. I still don't understand that part. Maybe I'm just being dense. He says they have to fix the $4500 worth of visible stuff first before they get authorization to drop the floor. Then they'll see what insurance authorizes after that.

If they total it then, they'll pay us for it. Of course I knew that but, if they put 4500 into it first, isn't any salavage buy-back going to have to reflect that? Why wouldn't they attempt to get a more accurate figure before proceeding? I don't get it. It definitely doesn't work this way with cars...

Trust me I spent 5 years of my life rebuilding these things and there are certain things you have to do before you can get the big picture of the damage. One thing is to fix all the big leaks before you can look for the small ones. Also the service writer will give the tech a list of what the initial estimate is for so if you see more damage in the beginning of the job you can stop and contact the insurance company.

Just spent almost an hour on the phone with someone from claims who just spoke with the servce dept and the claims adjuster while I was on hold. He didn't understand why they were starting $4500 in repairs without a teardown first either. Dealer says it's ins policy, ins says it's dealer policy. He said basically it's b/c they don't normally deal with rvs so they go by what the dealer tells them and the dealer wants work done first before teardown.

I was under the impression that by having the dealer fix it, they'd be inspecting everything - including any potetial damage under the floor - not just fixing what was visible and then saying "see ya" if it held water/power. Claims rep suggested I take it to another dealer for a second estimate which would also be covered under ins. Didn't seem to understand the whole theory behind fixing $4500 in visible damage without having a clue of what was underneath first.

I'm thinking of calling in the morning and telling them I don't want work started until they drop the bottom for an inspection and can give me a better idea of damages. If there wasn't any damage underneath we might be stuck paying for it but IMO the TT shouldn't be deemed fixed and safe to sleep in without an inspection of the wires and pipes under there anyway, should it? Plus there were holes in the heat vent DH pulled up from under the floor so no doubt in my mind that there is some sort of damage underthere to warrant the ins paying for the teardown.

Maybe it's the cynic in me but I sort of think maybe this is the way the shop knows they'll keep the job - or at least make 4500 off it. OMG my head is throbbing, I need a drink...

Does anyone know if this is normal procedure everywhere? The claims rep I talked to was just as confused as I was.

I'd rather not pull it out of there and take it down the road as he suggested but I'm pretty frustrated. Before we dropped it off there were promises they'd not only do it right and quickly - but that if the creature was still in there they'd be able to handle that too. Sure doesn't sound like what the service writer is saying now that they've got it if they're not even sure they'll drop the bottom.

I agree that if you aren't happy with the service take it elsewhere just make sure that they haven't already ordered a bunch of non returnable parts. Since it can take a long time to get parts from the manufacturer (I have waited weeks and on a few occasions months) most shops will order the parts as soon as they get authorization from the insurance company.

I'm not sure if I'm happy with the service yet or not. Just trying to figure out why they want to repair $4500 worth of visible damage before they'll consider looking underneath when the insurance has already said they'll pay for teardown as long as there's damage under there and the holes in the heat duct's would be enough damage to justify it.

The claims rep suggested getting a second estimate to see if another dealer would procede the same way or recommend a teardown first. I knew we'd have to pay for the estimate & time spent on it which the ins said they'll pick up if we move it but I didn't think about ordered parts. They didn't even give me a copy of what I signed so I don't even know that I've officially authorized any work yet. The papers I remember signing Monday had a $0 under total due on them and a note to call the insurance company.

Tigger - do all rv dealers typically start repairs before teardown - or might this be a way to ensure they'll keep the job? If it was an auto policy instead of rv, the adjuster would never authorize that much work before knowing if they might be looking at a total loss or not. Also, since there are no authorized repair facilities for our insurance company we'll be responsible for any resulting damage for incorrect repairs or excess costs. Would you insist they do a teardown first if it were yours?

Go down the road and the quicker the better. I have been in your situation and had a mechanic tell me they could fix it. I brought them a rebuilt alternator and they wanted me to buy a brand new one for 1200 bucks. Come to find out when I went down the street, they never noticed the damn rv had actually caught fire and burnt itself out, causing the electrical lines to burn off. It would not have mattered how many alternators they out on there. You have to have wires to connect them to the engine. Take it away from them and fast before you have to go to court like we do,

By the way, our rebuiilt alternator was hand wound, which you can't get anymore from good old Chinaland. I had the best alternator guy in South Florida rebuild that thing. Please find someone to fix your rv how YOU KNOW it should be fixed and not how they tell you it should be. You know where the damned thing has been, not them. God knows you have chased it long enough!

I can't speak for this place but in the case of my former employer the $4500 would be for the visible damage and an educated guess as to what might be behind that. But at the same time the insurance was also on notice that we may find further damage once it was opened up and the estimate would go up. As I stated earlier replacment parts from manufacturers can take time to get and from your picture you have a Keystone Outback. I have actually had Keystone units sit on the back lot for months waiting for body/wall pannels. So I am sure the shop wanted to get the money authorizes as quick as possible to get parts on the way.

I really don't understand the reluctance to do at least a limited visiual inspection in the underbelly it doesn't take that long to pull down a few places and take a look. Now if you has a Holliday Rambler with a one piece aluminum belly they are a pain to work under.

Can't speak to the repair shop - we never got that far - but I know our insurance company (Met) was more than a little clueless when it came to dealing with RVs and I think if Brian hadn't been so savvy about all this insurance stuff (albeit from the car side of things) we wouldn't have done as well.

Ultimately we had to wait an extra couple of weeks for a final $ amount because they weren't sure how to value it. So they asked us where we bought it and in the end called the dealer and asked them what the same unit was retailing for (since it was the same model year). The dealer happened to have an IDENTICAL unit on the lot and that's what they used.

We went in the next week and bought that unit. ;)

Sorry. It's been a busy day. Had to take Starla to the doctor. She's not the bravest soul when it comes to drs & their implements of destruction so I went along to hold her hand.

I called two other dealerships in the area to ask how they'd handle the repair and got just about the same answer from both. With the rv show this weekend, we were also lucky to be able to talk to a factory rep about how many additional things to chew on might be in our unit. While there are never any guarantees, it sounds like there's no way they'll come up with an additional $10,000 to total it. Exactly what we wanted to hear. We compromised a bit when we bought it, downsizing and giving up lots the old TT had, to keep the length and weight manageable but we are really happy with what we've got.

DH & I both talked to the service manager at our dealer's where it is about the TH. He called us. Guess he got a message that the claims rep called with questions. He explained everything they'd found so far and what they planned next. Turns out that not only can't his service writer spell, he isn't good at talking to people either. I was told the information he gave us was technically correct but nowhere near complete. It's a combination of poor communication skills on their part and misunderstanding on mine.

Service manager said they've already had the bottom off and would need it off to complete the repairs so work under the TH was included. That also explains why they would hook it up to water & elec after repairs before writing a supplemental estimate for additional damages. He promised to get it right whatever it took and they do have an excellent reputation so we authorized the work. Said he'd also make sure to distribute fresh cab in the underbelly before putting it back up and seal every opening he could find really well.

I figured I'd call Wednesday for an update. Won't waste time with the non-talkative reception guy this time but will ask for the service manager right away. Life is too short for additional doubt & stress. Hopefully, all is going well and we'll have it back soon. Guess we'll see...