The "official" FW paperwork says...

Fires: Limit charcoal fires to the charcoal grills. Open fires are not permitted anywhere in Fort Wilderness. Torches and other burning devices are not permitted."

That said....we have seen a couple sites where people were using off the ground (up on legs) fire pits with screened over tops. FW is pretty full and with as cold as it's been and you'd think there would be more people outside at night.

These last couple nights it's like a ghost town with everybody huddling inside for warmth!  :parrot:

B-B-B

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't FW allow fires at your site (besides in the mesh firepit)?  That's my favorite thing about camping and I was so disappointed when I found out it's not allowd.  :popcorn:

There is great fear of fire in such a close camping scene.  There is also a lot of vegetation surrounding each site that could be subject to sparks in the dry seasons, so they don't take any chances.  I favor the restrictions for safety sake.  There are also a lot of idiots, er..., uninformed campers that might not be as careful as a seasoned camper as ourselves would be.

Your right, I don't want any idiots/uninformed campers burning down the fort or my rig. But the fire pit he has is covered with mesh to stop embers, it doesn't have a solid  "grill" top as pictured above. Thats the only reason I suggested that solution. ANYway happy camping!!  ;) Respect point for that one R&H

Hey TJ,  I was responding to Just Beachy about why FW is so restrictive on fire regs.  I like your idea to modify the mesh top fire pits.  I wonder if a metal trash can lit would work...  Or do they even still make metal trash cans...  So much to ponder.  I think I will go to bed.

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't FW allow fires at your site (besides in the mesh firepit)?  That's my favorite thing about camping and I was so disappointed when I found out it's not allowd.  ;)

The state goes in and out of burn bans 2 or 3 times a year due to drought conditions.  My guess is, it's easier for the Fort just to have a hard, fast, "no burn" rule, rather than to keep changing the rules.

That being said - I saw a lot of open fires this past weekend and no one telling folks to put them out.  I don't think they've ever hired anyone to replace Brian even though it was said they were going to.  I also saw numerous underage cart drivers.

So much for rules.