Okay. So we are kind of torn. We sold our pop-up back in August. We have been looking around for another one, but we got to thinking in this past week about WHEN we would use it. In year's past, we have always taken a few trips a year to different places to go camping.

Last year I was working and was only off on Tuesdays. We didn't get to go to Disney, and only got to go to the LGGG at the last minute for ONE night. That was the ONLY trip we took all summer.

This year, I'll be working at the Marina year-round instead of just the summertime, and I'm only off on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Weekends are a big deal, and I'm the Office Manager, so it's just really tough to get away. DH is off Saturday and Sunday.

We went ahead and planned a FW trip for June 4-12, anyway...

But that will be the ONLY time that we will get to go and do any camping.

DH is thinking it would be a waste to get a pup now, and wants to buy a boat instead.  :o

What would you do?

Would you buy into lots of camping gear such as tents? (By the time we bought a good tent and everything to go with it, we could have bought a nice used pup)

Or see about renting a camper from someone for the week of FW? (DH thought of this)

Or actually break down and buy a pup instead of a boat. (This is my choice.)

If we did rent for our FW trip, are there any ideas on a place and their prices? He was searching CraigsList for campers and came across an ad from someone in Orlando who rents their pup out for $60/night and they deliver, set up, and break down...

I just don't know. DH reluctantly sold his boat last summer while some of you may know, we were having our issues... And now he says he wants to buy another, because he will use it everyday... And like I said, the camper would only probably get used the one time this year.

I'm stuck.

You're my people.

Help me.  :rofl2:

Personally, if I was only sure of using a pup for the Disney trip because of your work schedules, I would rent one in FL for the vacation and hold off on buying until such time as you are sure you would get use out of it.  If you buy one and it isn't used much, it will sit there staring at you making you feel guilty for not using it. 

I don't have an opinion on the boat.  You do live by a lake, so it seems that would get used more than a camper, especially with you working at the marina.  Would Dave use it on weekends when you are working?  That might help answer that one. 

Oh Yes. Dave would use it everyday. The boat we had before, From April - September was used at least 6 days a week.

Last summer I got to sit in my office, watch him drive up, go down to our boat slip, and get in and be gone for hours... While I sat and stared at a computer screen and lost my tan... Everyday.

Booo!!

I know the boat makes more sense... As it will get used a lot.

And I'm way more into the idea of renting a camper, than tent camping.

Not that there's anything wrong with tent camping, but at the end of last summer we went down to Panama City and stayed at a campground. I'm not a great tent putter-together-helper. And an air conditioner would have been lovely. Those two fans were NOT cutting it in the hot Florida in July sunshine. Never again.

That and I was extremely spoiled by FW being the FIRST campground I'd ever been to... Everything since then has been a disappointment. lol.

Rent one from Donnie:

www.makecampingeasy.com

Carol is right. I guess it's ok for me to talk rentals on here. I take $10 of for FF.net members. It works out to about $71 with tax per day. Let me know if you want to rent and we can work something out.

I agree...I'd definitely rent if I were in your position.

Tent camping equipment can get expensive quickly.  Plus it's REALLY hot tent camping at the Fort in July.  I was actually bordering on pretty miserable back in '04, but we didn't have an a/c, either.  We just had one fan, but it turned out okay.  We survived.  I just wouldn't recommend it if you have another option.  :highfive:

Okay....this is going to sound really off the wall, but I have seen this done.  Many times in fact.

Get a cabin cruiser.  It will serve two purposes.  Your DH will have a boat, and you will have a camper.  Yes, a camper!  That same boat you can sleep in while gently rocking back and forth on a body of water, you can sleep in while it is parked on the trailer. All you need is a sturdy set of portable steps to get in and out of the boat with while you are camping in it at the Fort.

Yes, Whitney....I've seen many people camp in their boats at FtW.  You just have to think out of the box and make that boat multi-purpose.

Problem solved.  You can buy me a diet coke next time you're at the Fort!! 

Okay....this is going to sound really off the wall, but I have seen this done.  Many times in fact.

Get a cabin cruiser.  It will serve two purposes.  Your DH will have a boat, and you will have a camper.  Yes, a camper!  That same boat you can sleep in while gently rocking back and forth on a body of water, you can sleep in while it is parked on the trailer. All you need is a sturdy set of portable steps to get in and out of the boat with while you are camping in it at the Fort.

Yes, Whitney....I've seen many people camp in their boats at FtW.  You just have to think out of the box and make that boat multi-purpose.

Problem solved.  You can buy me a diet coke next time you're at the Fort!!

Great idea Deb.  I have seen that too, and in some surprisingly small boats.  People also stay in them at boat launch parking lots overnite before launching in the AM.

Course, you could go the other way and get one of those motorhomes they showed off a couple of years ago that drive right into the water and turn into a houseboat.....

:D ;) :D :) :)