OC Sherrif's Deputy arrested for breaking into cars on WDW property

Today the OC Sheriff's Office announced that they have arrested one of their deputies, accused of breaking into vehicles on WDW property.

Disney is advising anyone whose car has been broken into to file a report with the OCSO at http://www.ocso.com or via their non-emergency number at 407-836-4357.

Disney is assuring people that they take the security of guests and CMs very seriously, but will not disclose details of their specific security measures.

Remember that Disney CM who assured us our trailer would be safe in the overflow lot b/c OC deputies routinely patrolled it?

Maybe I'm just not there when the OC deputies are patrolling in the overflow lot, but in the hundreds of times that I've driven by the lot, I don't recall seeing an OC deputy car. Has anyone seen a police car in the overflow lot?

If not, maybe the CM meant WDW security.

Maybe I'm just not there when the OC deputies are patrolling in the overflow lot, but in the hundreds of times that I've driven by the lot, I don't recall seeing an OC deputy car. Has anyone seen a police car in the overflow lot?

If not, maybe the CM meant WDW security.

I have not.

I have seen OC deputies in the Fort from time to time, but those have all been instances when they are responding to a call (usually a lost child or a situation at the pool).

TCD

From My Fox Orlando...

Orange County deputy arrested for stealing from car at Disney World

Updated: Wednesday, 02 May 2012, 2:06 PM EDT

Published : Wednesday, 02 May 2012, 2:06 PM EDT

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - An Orange County Sheriff’s Office deputy has been arrested for stealing from a car parked at Disney’s Hollywood Studios parking lot.

The sheriff’s office says on Tuesday Deputy Kirk Smurawa, 28, was observed by another deputy entering a car in the parking lot and removing a purse.

Smurawa has been arrested and charged with armed burglary of a conveyance and petit theft of $100 dollars or more.

Smurawa has been relieved of duty without pay, and his law enforcement credentials have been revoked pending an administrative review. He was assigned to the Orange County Sheriff Sector Six patrol and has been with the Orange County Sheriff's Office since April 2002.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorla...d#ixzz1tkSghwgg

So.... you think a guy with 10 year's experience just woke up this morning and said, "hey, maybe I'll break into a car today"?

Bets on how many other times he's done this?

From Sun Sentinel...

Deputy charged with breaking into car at Disney, stealing kids' money while on duty

By Amy Pavuk, Orlando Sentinel

1:49 p.m. EDT, May 2, 2012

An Orange County deputy was arrested on charges that he broke into a minivan while on duty at Disney's Hollywood Studios and stole children's' money.

Kirk Smurawa, who has worked for the Sheriff's Office for 10 years, was charged with armed burglary of a conveyance and petit theft.

A Sheriff's Office report released Wednesday said Smurawa was under surveillance by other deputies as he patrolled a parking lot at the theme park Tuesday afternoon.

Deputies watched as Smurawa opened the passenger door of a minivan and walked away from the rental vehicle with a silver or grey purse.

Deputies said Smurawa took the purse back to his marked patrol car, sat in the vehicle, walked back to the minivan, and then tossed the purse on the ground under the driver's side front door.

Smurawa then drove away from the area in his car.

Deputies stopped Smurawa, who confessed to taking the purse and taking cash from two small children's wallets he found inside the purse.

The owner of the purse told the Sheriff's Office there was about $55 in her children's wallets.

Smurawa was arrested, relieved of duty without pay, and his law-enforcement credentials were revoked pending an administrative review.

[email protected] or 407-420-5735

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-deputy-arrested-orange-car-20120502,0,4603561.story

There is always, always, a marked squad car parked in the bus area for the resort buses at DHS.

Well, guess were I worked yesterday? Yup DHS. And guess who came into the bus drivers break room while I was in there? Yup a deputy.

I wish I knew what the deputy in question looked like. It might have been him.