Silhouette Cameo Dye Cutting Machine

I just got one, shouldn't have because I don't use my Cricut or Cricut mini enough. But I wanted to do my own designs. Would like to do designs for the golf carts. Matt needs someone to do this and this machine can cut vinal 12 inches wide as long as you want. I need to use another software to import jpeg and pdf files. There seems to be 3 options, an upgrade to their software called Silhouette Design Edition. Or Sure Cuts A Lot, or Make The Cut.

I can't decide which one would work the best. I know some of you have one of these any advice and if so which one is easy to use.

Thanks for any help

I work with Sure Cuts A Lot with my Cricut {no upgrades to the cricut since they nixed SCAL ability to work with it}

I like it just fine. I don't make my own graphics, just use other people's pre-made ones. I think we need someone who makes their own to weigh in on this.

Congrats on your purchase!

that's why I brought the Cameo. I have the Cricut and only downloaded the demo of SCAL, by the time I decieded to buy it they nixed it.

I just have heard people who like SCAL and ones who live MTC not sure which one to buy.

I didn't realize there were threads on this board in foreign languages. Could y'all please repost in English?

You're a fine one to talk Mr. мой дом полон рвоты (I'm sorry your house is full of vomit - I told you it was the Russian Flu).

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, Lorna! You're in trouble! I have a Silhoutte...I bought it in January and I'm just now using it! I bought heat transfer vinyl to make shirts for my son's tee ball team and water bottles! I'm hooked!

I have the Silhoutte Design Studio software....I love it so far!

I had a cricut before but didn't use it....didn't like it because they did away with the SCAL software and I want to be able to do designs and not be limited. Come over and join us on the Silhoutte FB group! They answer any and every question and you learn lots of new ideas! :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/allthingsSILHOUETTE/

Thanks Kelli, I just went over and put in a request to join. How do you like the Design Studio software? I was going to buy Make the Cut, I downloaded the trail on my computer. But I am up for anything I want to be able to do pdfs and jpegs and trace them. I used the Cameo Sunday for the first time. I brought some designs for my Mothers day card. I own 50 cricut carts and couldn't find a good butterfly so I brought 6 for .99 cents and split them apart. I love the fact that if I need something I don't have I can get it right away without going out and paying top dollar. I don't think I want to give up my cricut yet, because I have a few carts I love like the disney ones. But I need a lot of time to do and learn everything I want to. I might be screaming for help

I love it! It's almost the same as the Embird software that I use for embroidery in that several of the functions are used the same way so it's easy for me. There is still a lot I have to learn but I'm getting there. I was scared of it for the first 4 months...I just sat there starring at the box! :) I am in love with heat transfer vinyl! Can't wait to make some t's for our Disney vacation in July! :)

You can take almost any jpeg and make something out of it! The FB group has a lot of info up the documents tab, too!

Well I just brought Make The Cut, I put it on my netbook so I can take it with me and play with it. The netbook screen is a little small but I can at least see how it works. I can save the design to a flash drive and then put it in my other computer. I just wish I had more time. I haven't tried the heat transfer vinal yet, but I love working with outdoor vinal, I have done a lot with that. I have to try to cut some on the Cameo. I love doing it on the cricut and hope it cuts as well.

I read on a blog about another blade to use with it, like the cricut blade where you don't have to replace the whole thing when you need a new one, I am going to purchase in a few weeks.

• 1 month later...

Well I just brought Make The Cut, I put it on my netbook so I can take it with me and play with it. The netbook screen is a little small but I can at least see how it works. I can save the design to a flash drive and then put it in my other computer. I just wish I had more time. I haven't tried the heat transfer vinal yet, but I love working with outdoor vinal, I have done a lot with that. I have to try to cut some on the Cameo. I love doing it on the cricut and hope it cuts as well.

I read on a blog about another blade to use with it, like the cricut blade where you don't have to replace the whole thing when you need a new one, I am going to purchase in a few weeks.

How's it going with the Silhoutte?

I'm still figuring things out...I can't figure out how to layer for the life of me! It might be the software though...I may need to look into MTC.

Need to make shirts for Disney trip in 2 weeks! I was thinking of doing HTV because it would be quicker but now I think it will most like be embroidery designs.

• 3 weeks later...

Kelly I just saw this because Kelly posted. Did you get to make shirts? I want to try HTV, but I haven't even had time to play with the machine or MTC.

I have found out so much from the group on FB thank you for telling me about it. The trouble is I just keep reading but don't do anything LOL

Kelly, I have the cricut and a cricut mini, but wanted the Cameo because you do have more freedom to do what you want. I want to sell the cricut mini and some cartridges, just have to find time to list them on craigslist.

I haven't layered much, very simple basic designs is what I have done. I love doing vinyl. I have done a lot of cups, but would love to have the time to do more complicated designs. Today I have to make some cards, I would love to have time to do something different on the Cameo.

Kelly let me know if you get one, and look into the facebook page there is some great information there.