WDW History - Disney World ground breaking 45 years ago today

From the Disney Parks Blog...

Today in Disney History: Disney Broke Ground On Walt Disney World Resort 45 Years Ago

posted on May 30th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

I love writing posts about Disney history and the milestone I get to celebrate today is no exception. Exactly 45 years ago, on May 30, 1967, the first ground was broken for the construction of the Walt Disney World Resort.

wdw118935SMALL.jpg

I really wanted to share a photo of this milestone, so I partnered with fellow Disney Parks Blog Author Nate Rasmussen and the Disney Archives to try to track some down. I’ve always been told this part of Central Florida was pretty sparse before Disney moved in, and the photos we found proved just that – miles of nothing but trees and lakes.

During our search, Nate and I found that some of the first compelling photos that exist of Walt Disney World Resort’s pre-opening were actually produced two years later, in April 1969, during a press event that gave locals their first look at what Walt Disney World Resort would be.

wdw228935SMALL.jpg

This “first look” took place at the Ramada Inn Tower in Ocoee, Fla. Here, invited guests could explore a tent full of scale models of Walt Disney World Resort, as well as artwork and Audio-Animatronics figures. (Oh, if us bloggers had a time machine!).

wdw338935SMALL.jpg

Disney leaders who spoke – and even signed autographs – at the event were what we’d consider today to be a real “who’s who” of Disney history, including Roy O. Disney, John Hench, Charlie Ridgway, Donn Tatum and Card Walker, all of whom later achieved Disney Legend status. During the event, they announced Oct. 1, 1971 as Walt Disney World Resort’s opening date, and declared that construction was officially beginning on Magic Kingdom Park and the first hotels (1967 construction included necessary roadwork and utilities).

At the event, Roy O. Disney also expressed joy in overseeing Walt’s dream of bringing a second Disney theme park to life:

“You should know that the dedication of our staff to Walt’s goals is tremendous. And I know Walt would like what his creative team is doing because these are the ideas and plans he began.

Everything you will see here today is something Walt worked on and began in some way. And today, the Walt Disney organization is dedicated to carrying out these wonderful plans in Walt Disney World.”

wdw448935SMALL.jpg

wdw558935THUMB.jpg wdw668935THUMB.jpg wdw778935THUMB.jpg wdw888935THUMB.jpg

The event’s attendees also watched a 17-minute film called “Walt Disney World – Phase 1” at the nearby Parkwood Cinema Theater. Later on, they loaded onto buses for a trip to the Walt Disney World site. At the time, Seven Seas Lagoon was still only a dry lakebed.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/today-in-disney-history-disney-broke-ground-on-walt-disney-world-resort-45-years-ago/

Could someone tell me what something is pictured on the front of the "A complete edition of about Walt Disney World"?

On the top center of teh cover where the narrows after a 90 degree left turn coming off the Lake, there is something there. Almost looks like a submarine or something. What was orginally planned for that location?

I Googled MK, and it appears it would be where Big Thunder and Splash Mtn is now?

Just curious.

TIA.

:wave1:

Could someone tell me what something is pictured on the front of the "A complete edition of about Walt Disney World"?

On the top center of teh cover where the narrows after a 90 degree left turn coming off the Lake, there is something there. Almost looks like a submarine or something. What was orginally planned for that location?

I Googled MK, and it appears it would be where Big Thunder and Splash Mtn is now?

Just curious.

TIA.

:wave1:

I don't know.

But, that is further away from where BTMRR and Splash are. You can see what looks like the correct location of Tom Sawyer island on that drawing. BTMRR and Splash would be in the area that looks like more water just above where Tom Sawyer island is.

I would say that the area you are asking about is a backstage docking facility for the River Boats that they planned to use in the park and in the Seven Seas Lagoon, but I don't think they would put something that was only backstage on that drawing. So you are right about thinking that it is some kind of attraction. But what?

One cool thing that someone pointed out in a comment on the blog is that it looks like the monorail route went through Tommorowland on its way to the planned Persian and Contemporary Resorts.

TCD

One cool thing that someone pointed out in a comment on the blog is that it looks like the monorail route went through Tommorowland on its way to the planned Persian and Contemporary Resorts.

I noticed that right away, and have to believe that there were Imagineers that planned Epcot that must have loved that idea and incorporated it into Epcot since it was never built at MK. I think a monorail looping overhead in Tomorrowland would be cool....I suppose originally it would have been difficult as the Skyway went overhead, so the monorail would have needed to go between the Peoplemove and the Skyway. Might have been cluttered and possibly an engineering issue.

That is a cool comparison.

Looks like there was originally going to be a whole lot more water areas inside the park. There are structures of some sort near most of them too, so I'm assuming they were going to be attractions. Would love to know what was planned for those areas.

That is a cool comparison.

Looks like there was originally going to be a whole lot more water areas inside the park. There are structures of some sort near most of them too, so I'm assuming they were going to be attractions. Would love to know what was planned for those areas.

Me too.

I was surprised at how big Tom Sawyer island is, and by how little water there actually is in the MK. It seems like there's a lot, but really there isn't.

TCD