For Memorial Day weekend, we went over to Wekiwa Springs State Park, near Apopka (about 30 minutes from DW).

The park was nice. The spring was too cold for me to get in but the kids got in for a short bit.

We took our kayaks and canoe but to get to the launch was a hike! It was a hike down a hill in the sand, so getting back up was a nightmare!!! We kayaked down the river a ways and then headed up Rock Springs Run until everyone was tired, then we turned back around and headed to the launch. There were some spots outside the park you could launch and have a shuttle pick you up but the runs were about 5 hours and we knew the kids wouldn't tolerate that long of a trip.

The river was low, so we had to move around logs and other things. Didn't see any gators :) The rentals are VERY popular, so lots of people were on the river who didn't know what they were doing....it was like playing bumper cars w/ kayaks!

I have to say the funniest thing was Friday evening when a camper pulled in late in the evening. We watched our neighbor back in his TT --- with the slides and the awning open!! He must've been in a super big hurry to unhitch because the TT rolled on them, with the slides open! That wasn't funny but they got it set up finally and no one, or the TT, was hurt. I do have to say though I have never seen someone park at trailer w/ the slides and awning open!!!

Overall it was a nice weekend. Although we missed going to the GG at Stone Mtn. And as much as I would love to go next year.....the homeschool convention is the same weekend and I haven't gone for 2 years. I really really missed going this year so I know I will be going next year....which means we will most likely stay at Ft. Wilderness (the convention is at the Gaylord Palms). Or we may just splurge and stay at the Gaylord......decisions!!

Here are some pictures!

DSC03233.jpg

Picture of our campsite. Site 42, close to the bathhouse (which BTW is about the cleanest I have ever seen next to the Fort).

DSC03294.jpg

Delena snorkeling in the Spring. It had a lot of algae at the bottom so wasn't the best for snorkeling but she did see a few fish!

DSC03309.jpg

Caleb swimming in the spring. He didn't stay in too long, was way too cold :)

DSC03318.jpg

This is a view of the grassy area leading down to the spring. People had blankets, etc laid out on the lawn. There wasn't much right around the spring to sit on and keep an eye on the kids so people set up wherever they could.

DSC03278.jpg

Another view of the spring.

Thanks! Florida has beautiful state parks! I wonder if it is busy like that ll the time, or is it because it was a holiday weekend?

I think the weekends stay really busy there. The campground is closing in July - I hear they are putting sewer in!

Dana how far is it from here, I would love to try someplace different, but for a weekend it can't be to big of a trip. Looks like you had a good time thanks for sharing

Lorna, it took us about 2 hours to get there. We just took I-4 to 429, right before DW, and took it to Orange Blossom Trail where 429 ends. 429 was a real nice ride, no traffic and you can see the front side of DW....we saw Everest, the AK lodge, Dolphin, EPCOT and the Contemporary. Kids were so excited. It would be nice for a weekend trip :) It will close in July though, not sure how long it will be closed.

Lorna, it took us about 2 hours to get there. We just took I-4 to 429, right before DW, and took it to Orange Blossom Trail where 429 ends. 429 was a real nice ride, no traffic and you can see the front side of DW....we saw Everest, the AK lodge, Dolphin, EPCOT and the Contemporary. Kids were so excited. It would be nice for a weekend trip :) It will close in July though, not sure how long it will be closed.

Thanks Dana I will have to look it up, it only costs us $12 a night to stay in a state park, there are some advantages to being OLD

Thanks Dana I will have to look it up, it only costs us $12 a night to stay in a state park, there are some advantages to being OLD

Lorna you are not OLD, you are just a little older! Florida State parks offer excellent prices to everyone and Seniors and 100% Disabled campers receive a 50% discount. I think the more expensive parks run up around $34 per night regular price.