So, on my most recent trip, I rented a 2011 Gulfstream Ameri Lite 255 BH. I thought for sure this would be "the" camper, but sadly, it was not. I'm not a patient person, so I was hoping I'd say "Yep, this is the one. I'm going shopping." There were a lot of things I didn't love about the unit, but only a couple of deal breakers. They were probably all options that weren't on this model, with the exception of the shower being too small for me. I really liked the finishes and other base options the Gulfstreams have, though, and found a larger trailer with exactly the floor plan I want, ducted a/c and very importantly, a shower I can stand up in. So, are there any reasons I shouldn't look at the Gulfstream? Thoughts? Opinions?

I'm not familiar with KZ, but they have some NICE rigs. Probably a little too nice for my budget. A friend and her family bought an Evergreen and haven't loved it. She's commented to me several times that it's nice, but she's not sure they'd buy another one. I'll have to follow up with her, though.

A friend owns a Mako TT by Gulf Stream and is not happy with it, the roof leaked but I helped him fix that no problem since, but lots of other issues have came up. They no longer make this brand but even if they did he is way past warranty, I have offered to help again but they want to get everything fixed now at a dealer, I told him the big RV show was in Sept. @ Hershey and a good time to trade in.

Our first TT was a Gulfstream Conquest and I never had a single issue with it. But having read a lot of reviews of their products on rv.net and other owner sites I know I was very lucky. More people have issues than not. But based on my experience I was a happy owner. The only reason we sold it was that we outgrew it when our 4th daughter was born.

We have a Gulfstream motorhome and are having plenty of issues. We are currently fixing the back wall of the motorhome which is pulling away from the frame. The 1st year we owned it we had to take it back to the factory to be worked on and then they informed us some of it was not under warranty. We were Fleetwood dealers for over 20 years, Starcraft before that and never had the factorys fight us on warranty issues. Took us over a year of constantly calling Gulfstream to get a wiring diagram of the mh. The a/c blew hot air instead of cold and they told us nothing was wrong. DH finally fixed the issue. Our motorhome is 5 years old and we bought it as we were getting out of the RV business because I liked the floor plan and we needed a heavy duty mh. (Super C) for pulling a trailer full of 4 wheelers. Trying to talk to the service dept is next to impossible. From our experience I would definitely look elsewhere. Every manufacturer will have pros and cons, so I would also consider the RV dealer that you buy from and what type of service dept. they have since they will be the one that has to go to bat for you with the manufacturer if any issues come up.

When we went looking for a new TT last year the shower height was on of my concerns. On some Jayco models they have a dome over the tub/shower to give more light and increased height.

Yeah, I always have to climb in there to test it out. The first Starcraft I looked at I would have had to have showered on my knees. That wasn't going to happen. I like Jayco a lot, but their trailers really are more geared to large families and groups. I'm specifically looking for something with just a bedroom and larger living space - no bunks. I know from experience that you don't need it 90% of the time, but when you do, you're miserable without it. I found a Kodiak that I like, but haven't found a dealer nearby. I'm still looking, though, so who knows. Maybe I'll find something with the right floor plan yet.

We have a Gulfstream motorhome and are having plenty of issues. We are currently fixing the back wall of the motorhome which is pulling away from the frame. The 1st year we owned it we had to take it back to the factory to be worked on and then they informed us some of it was not under warranty. We were Fleetwood dealers for over 20 years, Starcraft before that and never had the factorys fight us on warranty issues. Took us over a year of constantly calling Gulfstream to get a wiring diagram of the mh. The a/c blew hot air instead of cold and they told us nothing was wrong. DH finally fixed the issue. Our motorhome is 5 years old and we bought it as we were getting out of the RV business because I liked the floor plan and we needed a heavy duty mh. (Super C) for pulling a trailer full of 4 wheelers. Trying to talk to the service dept is next to impossible. From our experience I would definitely look elsewhere. Every manufacturer will have pros and cons, so I would also consider the RV dealer that you buy from and what type of service dept. they have since they will be the one that has to go to bat for you with the manufacturer if any issues come up.

Thanks. That's good to hear. So far, the majority of the complaints about Gulstream I've heard are in MoHo's. Everything I found on rv.net was fairly positive for the travel trailers, but I also didn't take the time to really search through the archives. Like I said above, I'll keep looking. I think I've heard enough to stay away from Gulfstream for now.

We just bought a 1994 Newmar Kountry Star diesel pusher. We have had some questions and contacted Newmar. They were fantastic. They answered all of our questions and I feel went above and beyond what I had expected. We have had a few issues with the motorhome, but it is from neglect from the previous owners, not the construction of the unit. It is very quiet and stable when driving it.

Brent,

One thing to consider is resale. You will probably want to upgrade to something else sometime in the future....unless you do an insane amount of research and homework before hand. Most people find out what they REALLY want after camping for a while.

If you found a bunkhouse model that fit your needs except for the bunk you could modify the bunk area for another purpose.....ie storage or wet bar ;-) Then when it comes time to sale you could put it back to stock. BH's are usually in high demand in the used market.

I thought I remembered that from your last TR, Dave. They're, obviously, a little higher end than what I was looking it, but looks like there are some good or even great deals on 2012's out there right now.

I think you'll find their pricing a bit less than Jayco. While I'm very happy with my Outback, I would put the construction quality a tad lower, and it only came with a one year warranty. You can bargain with them quite a bit, especially like you said on a leftover 2012.