Cheese Curds, Beer and Irony in the Old Ball Park

No camping in this thread. So if you want an RV story keep moving.

There will be beer discussed in this here thread, shocker, but true.

And off we go.

My best friend since Middle School now resides in the great state of Wisconsin, home of the Badgers. We didn't see any badgers, but we did see a gopher. And squirlls. No pics though.

So last Wednesday, Tony and I flew up there to see what it was all about and to give some love to the GodDevilSon, Dalton. After getting some sound advice from this here board about SouthWest, we had a great flights up to Baltimore and then onto Milwaukee. As I stated in the other thread, I would fly SouthWest again in a heart beat.

During our stop in BWI we had some seafood at Obrycki's as some had mentioned. Even had one of thier Ale's to help my flying jitters.

This is all the food pron I have. I do have more beer pron, just not food.

2f9fb406.jpg

cd0aa9e2.jpg

Once we made it to Milwaukee it was all about catching up and seeing the crew. The crew is (with pics to follow) Susan, her hubs Craig, Dalton, and LillyBug the youngest.

This is a shot out there back door.

P7260004.jpg

Honestly, I was amazed at the area up there. If I needed to live somewhere with 4 seasons, it would be there. Everyone was the nicest, and the weather was awesome.

more later, I'm dog tired from a lonnnngggg day flying, but don't worry as yall probably know, what is made in Milwukee? And do you really think I would pass up a tour of the Holy Grail?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's gonna be beer in this report?! Say it ain't so?!

I also have a friend originally from Wisconsin. Go back and visit in about 4 months and see if you still think it's beautiful. :))

Bring on the beer tour!

A trip report about eating airport calamari and traveling to the holy grail of beer??

I'm in!!! :jumpforjoy

Thanks again for the sound SouthWest advice. Spot on!

That calamari looks fabulous! I don't do beer, but I'm in anyway!

The calamari was OK. I enjoy it spicier, but hey this is bland airport food. Even if you don't drink the beer, we :heart: ya. :rofl2:

I'm in too! Never been up that way, so looking forward to more!

It is awesome, I told Tony after he retires and if I need to do some more years (I.e. I can't afford to retire with him) we may head that way.

There's gonna be beer in this report?! Say it ain't so?!

I also have a friend originally from Wisconsin. Go back and visit in about 4 months and see if you still think it's beautiful. :))

Bring on the beer tour!

You have a friend? REALLY? :beathorse:

HEY, THEY HAVE DEER IN THEIR BACKYARD!!!

Yupers, but they wouldn't let me ride them.

I'm in, might find a few more beers to try.

You might.

OK- I see the beer.

Bring on the cheese curds, Irony and the Old Ball Park!

TCD

Just be careful what you ask for.

Slight change in plans....

After taking in my friend's opinions, pics of the kids won't be included. They are some nut jobs out there. Really even more than in here.

So upon Susan's smart as hell demand request we go forward without pics. Rule number 1, you don't piss off Susan. And she is the smarter one anyway. So there will be less pics than first thought, since the kiddies were in most.

Backstory:

Susan and I are in some ways total opposites. I.e. she is tall and skinny as hell and I be the short chubby one. She is the quiet smart one and I can be the more outspoken smart ass one. She is always the designated driver and I am well....not. But we also share strong convictions, faiths and views. But even after all these years, we can go months without talking and and reconnect instantly. In fact her and Craig introduced Tony and I. And even Tony still likes them after that.

So it didn't take long after we were at the house to catch up. And it had been a long day for Craig and I. He went to work at 0500 and I had been up since 0330 EST. So we were done by 1200 CST time. Not like the old days of 2-3 in the morning. Yet.

So Thursday after a good night's rest we were given a tour of the place.

Here is Lake Michagin and a surrounding light house at Wind Point. I have never seen one of the Great Lakes before and being from SC, I am use to the Eastern Coast. I was actually at a loss for words. I'm use to small lakes, nothing the shear size of Lake Michagin. And it was a georgeous day, so you could see all the way to Milwaukee from the point. Granted this is summer, but I wouldn't mind living near there. And oh my goodness was the water blue.

Me: WTH do you need a light house on the lake?

P7260017.jpg

Holy Crap, that is why you need a Light House...It is HOW far to Michagin? Did you say SIXTY miles?

P7260010.jpg

P7260015.jpg

You push me in, I'm taking you with me! Fat floats, muscle sinks!

P7260014.jpg

We had lunch at a local joint, and tried our first cheese curds. But the place had awesome smoked rotisery chicken. I can't remember the name of the place, will edit later when I do. The places name is Charcoil Grill, and oh my was it a nice place. Can get burgers, ribs, etc that has a deep charcoil flavor. The chicken was "to die for". I did try to eat healthy when I could, knowing that liquid cals were to follow.

Then we headed to Milwaukee to check it out and tour baby, tour!!!! Oh yea, free tastings too.

The Great Lakes really are beautiful! You haven't really seen them till you've been to Lake Superior though. Hands down the most beautiful of them all.

Noted. Maybe one day, I can see it too. Seriously, I've been fortunate to visit all states west of the Mississippe river, but not the North East or MidWest. We are definately thinking of a RV trip up there in a couple of years.

Well, did you like the cheese curds?

As far as I know, I have never had one, and I don't plan on eating one anytime soon.

So, I'd love to know what they're like and why people would pay money for them.

TCD

I liked them. I thought they were firmer than fried Mozsarella sticks. And maybe a little saltier? We later went to Culver's and had them there too. From what I learned, you can have them instead of fries at some places. The only ones I had were fried, so maybe they are different naked.

I've never had any either, Andrew but I've been told they are an acquired taste. Mike says the deep fried curds a are delicious. I'm going to take his word for it. :rofl2:

I'd say Mike is right, AGAIN! :whew:

I grew up right on the Lake Erie shore....literally saw the lake every day. And it always was amazing to people that came to visit and had never seen it before. They were always shocked that you couldn't see the other side. And yes, the lakes are beautiful this time of year. You just have to remember that around the Great Lakes there are 4 seasons....June, July, August and Winter. You chose the time of your visit wisely.

I be the short chubby one.

I can be the more outspoken smart ass one.

She is always the designated driver and I am well....not.

I am completely shocked by all of this! And here I thought I knew you.

In fact her and Craig introduced Tony and I. And even Tony still likes them after that.

A friend would not allow a friend to drive drunk hook up with Genia

Does Tiny know you put his face online, or can I tattle and get you put in the naughty chair?

But, NICE SHIRT! :drool1:

P7260014.jpg

Carry on...beer tour please. :jumpforjoy

I want to know more about these cheese curds. Is it like the curds in cottage cheese? The lake did look gorgeous!

I'm not a cottage cheese person, unless talking cellulite.

But as Doodle's pics show, much bigger. I never did get an answer to what they are. And being from the south, I've learned not to ask sometimes. :)

But they were FRIED. All is good.

Larger and drier than cottage cheese. More like bite sized chunks of cheese.

Larger and drier than cottage cheese. More like bite sized chunks of cheese.

What he said.

From Lowcountry to Highcountry, gotta love it. Glad ya'll had such a good time. :)

We had a GREAT time! Thinking about you and the family! and the hammer.

How cool! I've never been that far up. Very pretty there!

It is Gorgeous up yonder! You should check it out if you can.